• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Yzerman191

Jiri Hudler

Rate this topic

I was browsing a thread earlier, and noticed a funny little statistic that eva unit zero pointed out that I hadn't realized: Hudler's stats are very similar, and perhaps a little better, than Zetterberg and Datsyuk's were at his age.

He's on pace for a career high in points, already having 34 with the season being exactly halfway done. He's also on pace for 32 goals, and he just turned 25 years old. Zetterberg had his breakout season at 25 as well, posting 85 points and almost 40 goals, whereas Datsyuk put up just over 50 points at that age.

That brings me to the topic of the thread: is Hudler underrated? For the most part, posters around this board act as if Hudler is expendable. People seem to think, "If it would allow us to keep Franzen and Z, or Hossa and Z, or Franzen and Hossa, etc., then let's just dump Hudler." However, look where Datsyuk and Zetterberg are now. Their stats at each player's respective ages are quite similar (Z a little better, Datsyuk a little worse), and their value to the team is immeasurable. I think if he continues to get ice time, keeps his confidence high, and plays with quality line-mates (although he's proven that he doesn't necessarily need great line-mates to put up points) he'll be on the same tier as Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

I'd love to see the 'Wings sign him to a contract similar to Flip, even if it requires moving Flip. Maybe something like 5 years, 15 million. Ideally, I'd love to see the 'Wings keep Zetterberg, Hudler, and Franzen this off-season, maybe leaving the 'Wings with a few million to sign some depth (someone to replace Sammy, if he's seeking too much, a back-up, etc).

So, is Hudler underrated? Should the 'Wings expect another GM to give him an offer sheet? At what point (salary wise) do the 'Wings have to deem Hudler not worth it, being that we're going to have to struggle to fit under the cap? Is Hudler going to continue to get better?

I don't think he is underrated anymore. He is clutch, and very good offensively, but he is not very good defensively. Also, Babcock seems to dislike him. I think Huds will be resigned for 2-3 million. I'd definitely pick him over Filppula.

Yes, Hudler is very underrated, but Pavel Datsyuk's stats at 25 were also pre-cap era. The game of hockey was a LOT different for small, skilled players during that time. But in contrast, lets not also forget that Datsyuk was NOT known for his defensive game then. It wasn't until Babcock joined the team, and Datsyuk was about 27-28 years old, that he started to develop his defensive game. At Hudler's age, Datsyuk was only seeing 9 seconds of PK time per game, which is to say, none.

I also think its funny around here that NO ONE seems to remember the days when Datsyuk was chided for being soft and a defensive liability. I'm not sure how far back the archives on this board go, but I'm pretty sure you could dredge up several threads from when Datsyuk was 25-26 that went after him for being soft and defensively irresponsible. At the time, those claims were exaggerated, but many of the same claims against Hudler are similarly exaggerated.

Obviously, I don't think Hudler will ever be the player that Datsyuk is, but he has a lot going for him. A future consistency of 65-80 points is not out of the question. He also hasn't been a defensive liability this season, has gotten a lot better at back-checking, and his size is rarely a problem. If anything, hes incredibly fiesty for a small guy. Just last night he was shoving and cross-checking the 6'5 Gaustad for taking a run at Conklin.

Ultimately, there really is no weak aspect to Hudler's offensive game. He has a great shot, has pulled off some sick passes this season, doesn't shy away from the tough spots, and is essentially the Wings only winger with strong playmaking abilities. He could have a great future alongside Hank feeding him the puck.

Personally, I think the Wings should take a look at how he does this post-season and, if he does well, make a strong push to retain him. Hes made a bit of a name for himself this season, drawing a little attention, and that will likely result in some special attention from defenders come playoff time. If he can succeed and still produce offensively under tighter checking circumstances, I say sign him up, even at the expense of the superfluous Filppula.

I don't think he's underrated in Detroit, but everywhere else in the league people are focused on Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Hossa, Lidstrom, and Franzen to think about this little guy who keeps managing to get on the scoresheet. Holland absoultely needs to lock this kid up longterm for a relatively low price (ala Zetterberg) before he starts putting in 80+ points a year and can get 6+ million somewhere else.

Its also interesting to note that I think last year was supposed to be his rookie year, but due to other stuff he was brought up a year early, something we all know Holland hates to do with youth, although I'm not sure about that. I think i remember Ken Daniels mentioning this some time ago. Another thing I would like to point out is that hes a small guy, and if he can put some mass on those bones, his heavy weight and low center of gravity will make it hard to knock him over in the future. I think this is the difference between Hudler now and a possible franchise player.

Edited by Echolalia

I don't think he's underrated in Detroit, but everywhere else in the league people are focused on Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Hossa, Lidstrom, and Franzen to think about this little guy who keeps managing to get on the scoresheet. Holland absoultely needs to lock this kid up longterm for a relatively low price (ala Zetterberg) before he starts putting in 80+ points a year and can get 6+ million somewhere else.

Its also interesting to note that I think last year was supposed to be his rookie year, but due to other stuff he was brought up a year early, something we all know Holland hates to do with youth, although I'm not sure about that. I think i remember Ken Daniels mentioning this some time ago. Another thing I would like to point out is that hes a small guy, and if he can put some mass on those bones, his heavy weight and low center of gravity will make it hard to knock him over in the future. I think this is the difference between Hudler now and a possible franchise player.

The Zetterberg contract is similar to what I'd like to see. If we can lock him up long-term now before his REAL breakout season, we'll have another absolute bargain on our hands.

Also, the same has been said about Datsyuk. He admitted himself that a turning point in his career was when he began to bulk up his frame a bit. I think Datsyuk might be the toughest guy to bump off the puck on our team, and I think that can be largely attributed to the fact that he's so darn strong. I think you're right on here: if Hudler can add some more muscle to his frame his game will benefit greatly.

Guest MrSandMan

Huds is clutch but I would let him walk if it costs us Hank and/or the Mule. Both of those two players are more important than Hudler.

Flip vs Huds would be a better argument.

Huds is clutch but I would let him walk if it costs us Hank and/or the Mule. Both of those two players are more important than Hudler.

Flip vs Huds would be a better argument.

Really now? I'm glad you are admitting it because last year you were most definitely singing a different tune.

Guest MrSandMan
Really now? I'm glad you are admitting it because last year you were most definitely singing a different tune.

You're wrong. I was signing a different tune when Robert Lang and Huds were together. Last year Lang wasn't in a Red Wing uniform... or at least not in public.

Hudler can finish well and has a good shot. I ont think he wou;d be able to put up the numbers he has on a different team. Hes def solid on the 2nd power play unit. On my free agent list hes lower than franzen hossa and zetterberg but above samuelsson. If he can be had for a reasonal rate I would like to see him signed, but if he goes unsigned and we get copensation I coul live with that.

He is. But he wont be when he's making big money with someone this year, and he's posting better numbers then Franzen. Who's likely to get 4-5 million, some GM in the NHL will offer Huds big money, and he'd be crazy not to accept, but who knows. After seeing him this season I'd love for him to come back, just dont think it will be possible.

He is. But he wont be when he's making big money with someone this year, and he's posting better numbers then Franzen. Who's likely to get 4-5 million, some GM in the NHL will offer Huds big money, and he'd be crazy not to accept, but who knows. After seeing him this season I'd love for him to come back, just dont think it will be possible.

Nah, no one is going to get massively overpaid this season, unless its on a one year contract. The cap this year is projected to go down slightly, or at best stay the same, but I've heard projections that it might drop like a rock some 5-10M after next season.

Hudler's skating is probably his only liability. He isn't exactly the quickest little guy in the league.

Hudler was a mediocre skater. He has worked hard on that and is now a quick skater. He is an above average defensive forward and he is a very good offensive player. If he builds muscle the way he has worked on his skating, he might become the best forward in the league.

Flip vs. Huds isn't really an argument anymore.

at this moment Huds is better then flip, of course I'm banking on Flips contract to end up being a steal like Kronners was ina few years. You have to remember they are still fairly young, the Wings system just makes them look wise beyond there years; plus they aren't the malkins and crosbys who just come in and light it up

He plays best when he's on the PP, because he has more room and isn't pushed around as much by defenders.

However, when he's not on the PP, there's not as much room, he's easy to knock off the puck and gets dominated a lot physically along the boards.

Therefore, he's not underrated, because in certain situations he's just not a useful player. The fact that he can score on our PP unit was never something I doubted about him.

Hudler was a mediocre skater. He has worked hard on that and is now a quick skater. He is an above average defensive forward and he is a very good offensive player. If he builds muscle the way he has worked on his skating, he might become the best forward in the league.

:lol:

You live for hyperbole. Something (commonsense) tells me that he'll never be better than other players much younger and much better than him. Coincidentally, I believe the three I'm thinking of are the top 3 leading scorers in the league right now.