• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Red Crazy

Drapers line

Rate this topic

After last nights -2 rating. Draper, Maltby, and Kopecky go to -14, -8, and -7 respectivley. This is terrible. Why does Babcock continue putting these guys out together night after night? I have noticed some improvment in Kopecky but Maltby is playing like hell. I know that Maltby and Drapes have played a big role in this teams past but I think that it has come to an end. The three have a total of 17 points and are - 29. If they were out there checking like crazy and were bringing energy to the team this wouldn't be so bad but they are not. Babs likes to role four lines and I agree but not if they can't keep the puck out of the net.

I say scratch Maltby for Meech and see if this will wake this line up. Anyone have any ideas?

Couldn't agree more. And the worst part about it is that the Wings aren't like most of the league where the fourth liners take care of the oppositions best players, most of the time Babcock is putting the Datsyuk and Zetterberg lines against the oppositions best and still with the limited icetime and skill of the the players against, the Draper line has been terrible. To me the only thing that keeps Draper from being scratched is his faceoffs.

I love Matby and Draper, but both (along with Kopecky) have been a liability this year. I love the organization's loyalty to veteran players, but we have too much talent in Grand Rapids to allow this to continue. Kopecky is the biggest head-scratcher for me. He has never displayed the upside that players such as Helm have shown, yet continues to be in the lineup. He doesn't use is size very well and is far from enforcer status. I think that there may need to be a rotating scratch of Maltby and Kopecky players on that line to get younger guys like Meech, Helm, Leino, Abdelkader, etc. some playing time and see if they stick. Draper is too valuable in key faceoff situations still to scratch at this point.

I love Matby and Draper, but both (along with Kopecky) have been a liability this year. I love the organization's loyalty to veteran players, but we have too much talent in Grand Rapids to allow this to continue. Kopecky is the biggest head-scratcher for me. He has never displayed the upside that players such as Helm have shown, yet continues to be in the lineup. He doesn't use is size very well and is far from enforcer status. I think that there may need to be a rotating scratch of Maltby and Kopecky players on that line to get younger guys like Meech, Helm, Leino, Abdelkader, etc. some playing time and see if they stick. Draper is too valuable in key faceoff situations still to scratch at this point.

The problem is (as it has been all season) cap room. I'm not up on the contract status of all of them, but I'm pretty sure they can't rotate those guys in without having to put someone on waivers.

The problem is (as it has been all season) cap room. I'm not up on the contract status of all of them, but I'm pretty sure they can't rotate those guys in without having to put someone on waivers.

Holland has definitely been conserving cap space, and I think it is for flexibility towards the end of the season or for a small trade deadline acquisition. If he is not going to make a deal, I think we will start to see a lot more GR call-ups, with Maltby and kopecky taking turns as scratches. Meech has allowed him to get the most out of what little cap space Detroit has.

Bench Draper, put in Meech, give him a wake up call. As long as everyone on the fourth line is playing lazily, not crashing, not persuing the puck, not playing hard, someone sits for Meech every game until they prove better. At least Meech works hard, thats what our fourth line is lacking. Instead of energy guys, the Wings fourth line is where they stick the has-beens for their free ride.

I know this is probably not possible, but putting one player in isn't going to make much of a difference for an entire line. You need to bench Draper and Kopecky both and bring two players up to really transform a line. Kopecky might as well be let go. I don't think there's a team in the league that will take him, just buy him out and give him a kick in the ass.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
Bench Draper, put in Meech, give him a wake up call. As long as everyone on the fourth line is playing lazily, not crashing, not persuing the puck, not playing hard, someone sits for Meech every game until they prove better. At least Meech works hard, thats what our fourth line is lacking. Instead of energy guys, the Wings fourth line is where they stick the has-beens for their free ride.

I wouldn't bench Draper as IMO, he's had the most impact game to game out of that group. Drapes has been doing more noticeable hitting, he's been getting involved and he's still able to carry the puck with speed and his faceoff ability is indispensible.

Now, as for Matlby and Kopecky. I can't believe we can't sit one of the guys, even just to rest so a young, hungry guy with a good two way game and good speed like Abdelkader can't get some game time in.

Kopecky is my least favorite Wing b/c he's the most useless IMO. He's a big guy but doesn't play that big. He throws an occasional hit but he doesn't really check with authority. And it sure would be nice if he did considering most of our players hit to impede and take guys out of plays, which is very important, but Kopa, with his size should be hitting like Kronner, trying to make statement hits and change things. But he doesn't.

If Kopecky never played another game for us I wouldn't lose 1 second sleep over it honestly. I doubt he'll ever transfer his scoring prowess to the next level, especially on Detroit. I'd deal him for a pick.

I know this is probably not possible, but putting one player in isn't going to make much of a difference for an entire line. You need to bench Draper and Kopecky both and bring two players up to really transform a line. Kopecky might as well be let go. I don't think there's a team in the league that will take him, just buy him out and give him a kick in the ass.

For me people are too rough with Kopecky. Anyway we all know what will happen with him: he will be scratched comes playoff time, and his future with the wings depend largely of the extension or not of Hossa ' stay.

About Draper: "Oh my god" is all i have to say! Is it the year of too much?what a slump! like some have said previously he almost had only one good night. And yesterday: :scared: Even with all his history with the wings i can t imagine having him in the lineup FOR 2 MORE YEARS with his current level of play. And i disagree with what some have said: it s not Draper's faceoff habiliy who keep him in the lineup, it s just the way of this organization work: dedication and loyalty.

Personally i don t understand why a coach in NA is so reluctant to bench a player with poor performance during 2-3 games, especially with a season as long as the NHL.

The biggest thing a 4th line has to do is hit people, and right now our 4th line couldn't hit up a bong.

Put Lilja on the 4th line, where enforcers belong, and that way Chelios will be a regular in the lineup and can rotate with Lebda and Ericsson on defense.

Its absolutely a salary cap/waiver issue. When Osgood was injured, the Wings couldn't even bring up Larsson/Howard for a game or two without putting Osgood on LTIR. And the issue won't go away. Many of the Wings' contracts are up in June. There will be no cap space room next year either - just trying to re-sign 2 out of the Big 3 who need renewals (Z, Franzen, Hossa), cap space will be tight - not to mention all of the others who hope for even modest raises. Unfortunately, Maltby and Draper are already both signed for next year (and Draper even the year after that).

What incentive (other than the hope of SOMEDAY being a Wing) does Ville Leino have to re-sign with Detroit? His contract expires in June. He led the league in Finland. He's leading the Griffins in scoring. Since this is his first year in the AHL, isn't he waiver-exempt for at least another year? So, say he signs with Detroit again. Chances are, he'll end up in GR again due to waiver eligibility. (Just like Helm this year, just like Ericsson this year). Chances are, call-ups will be tight again next year due to cap space.

If he signs with any other team, he'll be on the NHL roster - just like his top counterparts this year who came over from Europe. While the hope of SOMEDAY being a Wing is pretty good incentive for us fans - from a realistic standpoint, is it better for his future to go somewhere else next year?

What is the harm of putting Maltby out on waivers now? So, he gets taken. Seems to me that it would settle this year's problem and next. If he doesn't get taken, let him choose GR or retirement. Kopecky? Same deal - though his contract is up in June anyway. How long do we sacrifice good prospects to keep the older veterans around a few more years?

I usually jump into these pretty quick and start defending the veterans (even Kopecky from time-to-time), but I am having a hard time doing so right now. The prospect of another year of Maltby and two more years of Draper is downright scary at the moment, and I find myself wishing they would both retire after this year.

Last year during the playoffs we had an exciting and dangerous 4th line of Hudler, Helm and McCarty --> How about Leino, Helm and Maltby/Kopecky/McCarty this year?

I usually jump into these pretty quick and start defending the veterans (even Kopecky from time-to-time), but I am having a hard time doing so right now. The prospect of another year of Maltby and two more years of Draper is downright scary at the moment, and I find myself wishing they would both retire after this year.

Last year during the playoffs we had an exciting and dangerous 4th line of Hudler, Helm and McCarty --> How about Leino, Helm and Maltby/Kopecky/McCarty this year?

I have the perfect 4th line.

McCarty - Lilja - Downey.

Nobody could mess with us then.

wow is this a serious question? this is why they are on the 4th line

Kopecky is friends with Hossa

Draper is friends with Lidstrom

Maltby is friends with Zetterberg

but really Abdelkader-Helm-Downey

After last nights -2 rating. Draper, Maltby, and Kopecky go to -14, -8, and -7 respectivley. This is terrible. Why does Babcock continue putting these guys out together night after night? I have noticed some improvment in Kopecky but Maltby is playing like hell. I know that Maltby and Drapes have played a big role in this teams past but I think that it has come to an end. The three have a total of 17 points and are - 29. If they were out there checking like crazy and were bringing energy to the team this wouldn't be so bad but they are not. Babs likes to role four lines and I agree but not if they can't keep the puck out of the net.

I say scratch Maltby for Meech and see if this will wake this line up. Anyone have any ideas?

I think I would do the same thing and then when the rosters expand sit them both and play Helm and Abdelkader.

wow is this a serious question? this is why they are on the 4th line

Kopecky is friends with Hossa

Draper is friends with Lidstrom

Maltby is friends with Zetterberg

but really Abdelkader-Helm-Downey

Other than the faceoff aspect of Draper's game, I honestly don't see how Abdelkader-Helm-Downey could be worse than our current 4th line, even with the lack of experience. Obviously there are cap issues, but it's ok to dream ;)