• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
chrisphil1724

Draper and Maltby Career Retrospective

Rate this topic

Both Kris Draper and Kirk Maltby are quickly closing in on 1,000 games, a tremendous milestone for any hockey player. In honor of this milestone, myself and some others have began work on a retrospective for their careers and we’re looking for some of their most memorable moments in there respective careers.

We’re going to for go the obvious moment of there 4 Stanley Cups and say we’re looking for moments like Drapers Overtime Goal in game 2 of the 1998 Cup Finals. Any ideas you guys may have would be very helpful.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
Both Kris Draper and Kirk Maltby are quickly closing in on 1,000 games, a tremendous milestone for any hockey player. In honor of this milestone, myself and some others have began work on a retrospective for their careers and we’re looking for some of their most memorable moments in there respective careers.

We’re going to for go the obvious moment of there 4 Stanley Cups and say we’re looking for moments like Drapers Overtime Goal in game 2 of the 1998 Cup Finals. Any ideas you guys may have would be very helpful.

Didn't Malts once score a hat trick in the playoffs? I know McCarty did, maybe i'm mixing them up.

The safest place on the ice is between the pipes when Kris Draper is on a breakaway

Sorry, couldn't resist it :P

Other than a million and one face-off wins, there aren't many highlights for Draper - the 98 OT goal aside.

edit: I think Malts got his hattie in a blowout against the Leafs, in Toronto. I saw it on youtube a while back. What stands out in my mind was seeing Yan Golubovsky on the bench :D

Edited by Nev

2 for Maltby.

I recall (even though we would lose the series) Maltby scored a goal against the Oil in our series with them when nobody on the team could.

Also, there is a shot-block from Malts a few years back that the NHL used in a lotof Promo's. He basically risked his life in a sort of dive/saving motion. Just shows that playoff spirit of do it all to win.

Draper getting his face rearranged by Lemieux was the catalyst for one of the best rivalries in NHL history.

Maltby, at least I think it was Maltby, on the pnealty kill in the Finals against Carolina. He blocked like two shots, lost his stick, and still managed to kick the puck out.

I'm sure you've already checked out what Youtube has to offer. Still I'd like to point out these occasions that I consider Maltby's highlights:

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>&">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>&">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Maltby has always been one of my favorite players. He just goes out there and does his job pretty quietly. A hard working role player. His would be the only black jersey I have.

Seems to me maltby has scored a fair amount of short handed goals in his time with us.. make sure and get some of those in the highlights..

Edited by Fatal

the number one moment that needs to be captured for both players (especially after all these years) is when they RETIRE this season. they need to hang 'em up... seriously, it is time now. RETIRE! and thank you for being such good red wings for all these years! :) One thing not to include will be their point totals and plus/minus at the season end.

Not to get too technical, but the game Maltby lost his stick and blocked atleast two shots on a penalty kill was against St. Louis, Game 5, 2002 Playoffs.

Don't forget Maltby's OT goal in the 1999 playoffs vs. Colorado.

Great retrospectives by the way, you couldn't have pick two better guys to highlight their careers. I'll miss them when they decide to hang them up.

Edited by Barrie

Thanks guys! This is what I got.

Draper:

Drapers Overtime Goal in game 2 of the 1998 Cup Finals

Draper scoring his 20th goal in his Selke-winning season.

Game 6 -- 2008 Western Conference Finals. Draper scored a goal with his teeth

Maltby:

Maltby’s Overtime Goal in Game 1 against the Oilers in 2005.

Maltby’s penalty kill in the Finals against Carolina. He blocked like two shots, lost his stick, and still managed to kick the puck out.

Maltby lost his stick and blocked at least two shots on a penalty kill was against St. Louis, Game 5, 2002 Playoffs.

Maltby's OT goal in the 1999 playoffs vs. Colorado.

Edited by chrisphil1724

Maltby’s penalty kill in the Finals against Carolina. He blocked like two shots, lost his stick, and still managed to kick the puck out.

Maltby lost his stick and blocked at least two shots on a penalty kill was against St. Louis, Game 5, 2002 Playoffs.

I think some people are getting these two mixed up. I don't remember Maltby losing his stick and blocking two shots against Carolina in the 2002 Final. I remember St. Louis.