• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Blaayze

Keeping "The Big 3"

Rate this topic

The best thing that could happen to the wings is some one throws an offer sheet at Hudler. IF you want them to be able to keep Hossa and Z, Franzen's salary and Hudler's salary would add up to Hossa's. However if no offer sheet is thrown at Huds forget it the math just doesn't work.

But if a team like Toronto (doubt it with Burke and Huds size) or LA or even Was make a play at Huds the Wings get extra picks and can keep Hossa and let Mule test the waters.

Now if Franzen is willing to stay on the cheap, Z signs cheap (He will be here in my mind for his career no questions) at 7-7.5, Hossa would have to be willing to take around 5 depending on how cheap mule is.

All in all I think Z, Mule, and Hudler are back, just because of logistics.

Sammy re-signs elsewhere same with Hossa.

But if this is me at the helm I throw a front loaded contract at both Z and Hossa and hope Jiri is willing to play for peanuts.

Then again I am no GM.

snip for length

It's more painful than you think. If Z is back at a reasonable contract (say anywhere between Pavel money to 7.5m/yr) then, even if you get rid of Sammy, Lilja, Chelios, and Hossa and replace them with .5/yr players, you can only keep one of Franzen or Hudler if you keep Flip as well, and even that's a tight fit..

Realistically, we're only likely to keep:

Z and one of Franzen, Hudler, or Flip

Or if we're lucky, Z and two of Hudler, Franzen, or Flip,

If Holland is God, Z and all 3, or Z and Hossa and one of those 3.

My ideal realistic keeper is Z and Hudler, and if we can get one more, throw in Franzen. However, it's possible Franzen draws a very large contract, and if that does happen, I can live with Hudler and Flip.. I'm not gonna complain about 2 skilled young players.

Franzen - Dats - Homer

Hudler - Z - Leino?

or

ZDH

Hudler - Flip - Leino?

Edited by Datsyerberger

Lets say this one more time for the people who do not understand...

Chances are Hossa would sign long term here for a huge discount.

Better chances are that Franzen won't sign for a dime less than ATLEAST 5 million.

This whole dillusion for Franzen signing for 3-4 million is truly funny to me... Go back a page and read Drakes post about the Mule signing!

Lets say this one more time for the people who do not understand...

Chances are Hossa would sign long term here for a huge discount.

Better chances are that Franzen won't sign for a dime less than ATLEAST 5 million.

This whole dillusion for Franzen signing for 3-4 million is truly funny to me... Go back a page and read Drakes post about the Mule signing!

Hossa might take a large discount to stay, but keep in mind a large discount off of his contract is still more than the possible 4-5 million Franzen could make.

First of all, welcome. But no thanks. I liked Leino in the preseason too, and Helm last year. But you don't subtract two guys who you've developed yourself, who are having breakout years with Franzen currently at 20g, 11a and Hudler at 17g, 20a totalling 37g, 31a between the two for one player who is sitting at 20g,20a in Hossa. I'm not saying Hossa doesn't have tremendous talent and isn't a hound defensively, I'm just saying if you can keep a bit of depth intact for maybe a million or two more for two players as opposed to one, we'd be better off. Hudler and Franzen are only getting better and we've won before Hossa, we'll win after.

Fact of the matter is, no matter how impressed we all are by whats in GR, you don't replace two of your top players, who are both in the top 4 on the team in goals, pacing for around 30-40 goals this season and replace them with AHLers and not have a huge drop in depth.

well said

Oh my god THANK YOU! I tried to make this point in my original post but I don't think it came out right at all and focused too much on Hossa. It's like everyone on here is quick to think we'll sign the Mule for 2-3 million and Hossa won't take anything less than 7. This is an absolute money year for Franzen and how do we know he's not the exact OPPOSITE of Hossa and would rather have the money over the organization? So, now that reality has been brought up and people's dreams of signing Franzen for under 4-5 million is done with...

If you could have either Franzen or Hossa, and they both asked for the exact same amount (Hossa possibly taking a little bit less than Franzen)... NOW who would you rather have?

Personally, and again it's probably just me being biased, but I'd rather have Hossa for the same/a little less money than Franzen. Then again, maybe we've forgotten that Hossa was probably the 2nd or 3rd best player in last years play-offs only to Franzen and Z.

Is Franzen still as hungry for a Cup now that he has one? Especially as hungry as Hossa obviously is?

I'll say it one last time but I think you're underestimating the kind of paycut and desire that Hossa has to play here in Detroit!

Then again, it's probably just wishful thinking from somone who has been a Hossa fan since he stepped foot in this league?

ah...that's not gonna happen. I agree that Mule may be looking for 5 mil but no way Hossa is going to take a pay cut. I think Hossa is gonna comand 8 mil discount or not so realistically there is $3mil difference between them and that is money that could be spent on Sammy or Rex.

ah...that's not gonna happen. I agree that Mule may be looking for 5 mil but no way Hossa is going to take a pay cut. I think Hossa is gonna comand 8 mil discount or not so realistically there is $3mil difference between them and that is money that could be spent on Sammy or Rex.

I have a feel that a deal is being worked out with Zetterberg that will basically allow Hossa to stay. Their agents and them know that the cap will go down and they both want to be in a situation where they have a chance to win. You'll be surprised on what's going to happen. I believe Zetterberg and Hossa will be on the Wings next season and Franzen will be too.

I have a feel that a deal is being worked out with Zetterberg that will basically allow Hossa to stay. Their agents and them know that the cap will go down and they both want to be in a situation where they have a chance to win. You'll be surprised on what's going to happen. I believe Zetterberg and Hossa will be on the Wings next season and Franzen will be too.

Everyone has to remember that we have many UFAs and RFAs next year. If we don't re-sign them to accomodate for Hossa and Hanks/Franzens massive pay raises, we won't be able to field a competitive team.

Hossa is not coming back next year, Hank is getting a cap hit of around 7, and Frazens cap hit will be at least 4. With the cap going down does everyone really expect Hossa to take another 3 mil pay cut? No.

Edited by Konnan511

Hossa is one and done with this team. It really doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. We had space, we signed him. We're using the space from his contract when he leaves to re-sign multiple people. The end, these threads need to stop.

Its like dog sitting for someone who's travelling for a year. Hossa is the dog, $ is the dogs owner. You really begin to get attatched to the dog, even though you know there is no way you can keep him, even though your other dogs really like playing with him, too.

I'll enjoy that dog while he is here. And I will always like that dog when I see him in the future with his rightful owner and be grateful for the time he was ours.

" Hossa, backcheck like a locomotive! Good dog, Hossa, good dog."

Edit: (Tori) Spelling

Edited by T.Low

Who said Hossa was going to give a discount? He likes it in Detroit, who doesn't, a winning organization and attitude are great, that doesn't mean he's not looking to get paid.

The same delusional idiots that think every player wants to play for the Wings, even if it means taking a 3M dollar paycut. I hear they're related to these folks in Montreal who think every francophone Canadian wants to play for the Candiens.

Not to mention, Hossa signing a one year, 7.4M deal was contingent upon the Wings retaining their entire cup-winning roster.

I've never really thought about it, but with the anticipated decrease in the cap over the next couple years, Hossa will probably lose a substantial amount of money over the length of his next contract versus what he would have gotten had he signed long term last summer. I'm sure he didn't know it at the time, but he must have at least considered the possibility. I think that's remarkable...

that would be dope if they all stayed! dave thomas ronald mcdonald and burger king all on the same line!...im hungry.

Edited by soultrain

I've never really thought about it, but with the anticipated decrease in the cap over the next couple years, Hossa will probably lose a substantial amount of money over the length of his next contract versus what he would have gotten had he signed long term last summer. I'm sure he didn't know it at the time, but he must have at least considered the possibility. I think that's remarkable...

Good point. A lot of people aren't going to be getting their "pay days" and we could have another situation where excellent players are without teams for a while. The whole CBA is an embarassment.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
Maybe Hossa and Z could take a-10 10 6 3 3 type contract kind of like what Vinny has in TB.

10.000 10.000 10.000 10.000 10.000 10.000 10.000 8.500 4.000 1.500 1.000 UFA

with the cap hit of 6.875.

This would give them both a cap hit of 6.3m leaving us with a total cap of 50.067,(According to nhlnumbers, which includes McCarty's total salary) and if the cap at least stays the same, about 7m left give or take. Now if we shed Meech, or Cheli doesn't come back, or we shed one of our extra defensemen(and if you subtract McCarty's contract), that could be a little more to work with around 8m. That leaves us there with about 8mil to sign Franzen,Hudler,Sammy, and maybe a backup goalie. We all know what they could make on the open market, but Franzen taking a deal like a 10 7 3.5 2 2, which would leave us with a cap hit of 4.08. That is with one year making the league max.

That would leave us with about 4m left for Hudler, Sammy, and a backup.

Our backup could easily be Howard with a cap hit of .750 I think. Our roster could easily lose one of Sammy and Hudler, but I am too tired to do rest of the math. Is it this a stretch? Maybe, but I see this as very plausible, unless the cap goes down by a great amount, which I don't see it doing, based on things I've heard. I'm still pretty optimistic, I guess.

Or we could just use Hossa's money on Tim Thomas.

Wishful thinking, but I would love tos ee s*** like that happening. Send it to holland lol

Franzen works perfectly into the system though and has proven he's a 35-40 goal a year scorer, not just a fluke. However, I think he fits into the category of needing great players around him, like Sammy or Holmstrom. Who knows what he'll sign for, but losing Hossa wouldn't be as huge a blow as everyone thinks. Once Zetterberg gets his raise, he'll be back on track for 90 points in no time. Hopefully Conklin, Sammy and Hudler will all sign for a combined 5 million or so. Either way, Flipulla must go. 3 million for what were getting isn't spectacular seeing that we might lose Franzen and Hossa. Flipulla is showing no signs he will be a future star.

But really, all this re-signing players isn't helping the future. The longer the minor leaguers have to wait, the better chance they'll be let go, like Quincy. We might just lose the next big star hanging on too these current guys. Hopefully the Wings will have at least 2-3 rookies next season, Kindl etc. Leino might also prove to be a big mistake if he doesn't get to play soon. We basically got a first rounder for nothing, with a short window of opportunity.

Edited by TheOwl

Lets all pitch in a $100 donation to the "keep hossa" fund. tons of red wings fan would pay for that, the money would go to his salary, under the table, and we can all get an autograph pic in return. Problem solved!

(note sarcasm)