• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aussie_Wing

2009 Australian Open

Rate this topic

Well the draws are out and there are certainly some interesting first round matches.

Gonzalez v Hewitt should be an absolute belter and it’s a shame it’s a first round match considering both are finalists in Melbourne. You would give the edge to Gonzo however Hewitt is in decent form and always seems to perform at his home slam. Kiefer v Canas should also be good entertaining and quite a lengthy match.

Looking at the seeds…

Federer on paper appears to have a reasonably tough draw. First up he faces Seppi, then in the 3rd round he should face Safin. His Swiss teammate Wawrinka awaits in the 4th round and the red hot Juan Martin Del Potro looms in the Quarters.

Nadal has a bit of a cakewalk until the Quarters Finals. Assuming Gonzalez wins they’ll meet in the 4th round which could be tough for Nadal. Monfils/Simon could be his Quarter final opponents but I see him lasting until Murray in the SF.

As for the women, interesting first round match of Hantuchova and Dellacqua. They both had great success here last year so one will take a plummet in the rankings. Azarenka is in great form having won her first title in Brisbane and she’ll face another in form opponent in Petra Kvitova. Jelena Dokic has a very winnable first up encounter with Tamira Paszek. Paszek has lost her way after making a charge up the rankings a year or two back. Wozniacki v Peer is another beauty of a first round match.

Venus Williams appears to have one of the easiest draws imaginable and will make the Semi’s if she’s playing at a decent level. Ivanovic will face Wozniacki in the 4th round and if she progresses will face Safina in the Quarters. That’s as far as she can hope to go here given her form. Once again Jankovic has an easy draw and should make the Semis.

Very excited about this one. I'm going to watch a lot of games.

I still haven't done my analysis who'll win (IMO),but I'll get to that on Sunday.

Focusing on my boy Jarkko Nieminen's final against Nalbandian first.

:thumbup:

Nieminen had a great week in Sydney, played well in the final but Nalbandian proved too tough. I was very impressed with Nalbandian's comments in the post match interview, had some very kind words for Jarkko. :thumbup:

As for the Australian Open, I think it'll be Murray and Safina claiming the first Slam of the year. Would like to see some youngsters do well too such as Gulbis, Wozniacki and Cornet.

I've got tickets for Monday-Thursday on Hisense and Rod Laver Arena on Friday. Mapped out where I'll be heading on Monday...

Ivanovic v Goerges

Dechy v Kutuzova/Starace V Tomic (young Aussie hopeful)

Dokic v Paszek

PH Mathieu v Nieminen

It sure is hot in Melbourne.

I can't imagine what the match against F.Lopez took out of Gilles Muller. 5th set ended 16-14. :scared:

Good to see Santoro winning Ferrero,the Magician still has it.

I was disappointed to see Spadea losing in the 1st round,I was rooting for him to at least make the 2nd round.

Shame that Hewitt lost,but he put up a good fight.

Go Ana!

Ana's playing again,first match of the day in Rod Laver Arena.

Some other matches I look forward to:

Dokic vs Chakvetadze (Go Dokic!)

Del Potro vs Mayer

Santoro vs Kohlscheiber

Edited by FinRedWing

Soon we'll see how a fellow Red Wings-fan Tomas Berdych plays against Federer.

Jankovic is out,lost to Bartoli.

I'm down to Aussie's Murray-Safina in my bets.

Kleybanova is...well huge and powerful,hopefully Dokic plays well tonigt.

Well I'm back, and my bet is stuffed.

Murray gone to Verdasco, wow, didn't expect that.

Berdych is one of my favourites, Red Wings fan and all, but he is the biggest headcase on tour. 2 sets to love up against Federer and he loses, what a joke.

Hopefully Nadal can go all the way here but I'd love to see Djokovic go back to back. As for the women, Dokic has been nothing short of amazing. What a comeback! I think Dementieva will win, she sure deserves it.

Nadal will probably win,he was impressive against Gonzalez.

But wasn't he playing like sh*t only a week and a half ago?

I had no trust in him before the tournament.

In the ladies I might just as well hope for a miracle,Dokic FTW!

Berdych is one of my favourites, Red Wings fan and all, but he is the biggest headcase on tour. 2 sets to love up against Federer and he loses, what a joke.

That's funny because here I thought Federer had lost for the past few days. lol

I saw a replay of the Berdych match and he was up so big - I had to go somewhere and I thought - wow Federer already lost! lol

I was actually a bit intrigued by a Federer-less final. Oh well, I dislike the Djokovic character. One set each him and Roddick.

Directv had the Aussie Open network for the first 8 days and now it blacked out (?). Don't know why they don't just do the whole thing - tv rights I guess, sigh.

First and foremost, I can't believe once again I forget about these threads until mid-way through the tournament. Anyhoot.......

Pathetic by Djokovic. Soft as usual. Great work by Roddick who was outplaying him anyway. :thumbup:

Dokic. :( Great, great effort though and what an amazing tournament!

Del Potro. :rolleyes:

I don't mean to call out Novak's toughness, but this wasn't the first time he's been to "dazed" or "injured" to continue. While I'm not saying that's exactly what happened, I'd be willing to bet if he somehow hung around in the second set and took it, my guess is he would've finished the match or taken an extended injury timeout. To me, its looks as though his young age and immaturity comes out when he's losing a big game and doesn't see himself coming back.

Roddick was clearly in control, and mentally Novak just shutdown. No doubt the elements had to have had a sizable effect on him, but its not as if Djokovic is a seasoned veteran on his last leg. He should be in as good of shape as Roddick even with Andy's new workout regiment.

Del Potro was horrendous. What an embarrassment.

Roddick was clearly in control, and mentally Novak just shutdown. No doubt the elements had to have had a sizable effect on him, but its not as if Djokovic is a seasoned veteran on his last leg. He should be in as good of shape as Roddick even with Andy's new workout regiment.

Yes that was pathetic - he quit just because he was down. I have no idea why this tournament is held in the middle of the sweltering summer down there, outside in the sun in the middle of the day for the most part, BUT the other players were dealing with it OK for the most part.

Anyhow Roddick looks like he got back into good shape - will he ever beat Federer? Dunno, maybe someday - I'm personally tired of Roger although I do like him.

I'll probably miss the men's final since I'm skiing that day (yes it might be 40C there but it's -17C here), but might catch the women....

Edited by RockyMountainWingGal

unless verdasco can pull off a miracle, it looks like we're in for another fed-rafa slam final. i for one am hoping the mighty fed can match old petey on sunday, but federer rarely plays his best against nadal. nadal is one of the few players that consistently is in fed's head, so it's going to be a grind. rafa's been dominating the entire tournament, but i'll go with fed in four or five (wishful thinking).

as much as i would like to see federer get number fourteen, it would be cool to see rafa nab a hard-courter. if he gets this one, that would give him 6 slams and he's 22!! unbelievable. if rafa starts dominating australia like he's done the french and is capable of doing at wimbledon, he could be a serious threat to pass both federer and sampras in slams. i can't see rafa dominating the fast courts of the us open with his game now, but he's shown an uncanny ability to adapt and it wouldn't be too surprising to see him get a us open or two or three or four before all is said and done. maybe in a couple of years we'll have a new name in the goat conversation.

EPIC!

Nadal and Verdasco thankyou, best match of the Australian Open, best match in Melbourne Park's history, and probably the second best match I've ever seen.

Cmon Rafa, you're in Roger's head, you've got to get it done!

EPIC!

Nadal and Verdasco thankyou, best match of the Australian Open, best match in Melbourne Park's history, and probably the second best match I've ever seen.

Cmon Rafa, you're in Roger's head, you've got to get it done!

should be an interesting final. all things equal, given rafa's permanent lodging between federer's ear holes, i would say advantage nadal, and significantly so. but after the marathon match, the only time in his career i've seen nadal look truly out of gas, it changes things up a bit. if nadal recovered from thursday (friday for you), he's still the favorite. if not, rafa's got to take it in straight sets. if roger can run him around a bit and push the game into the fourth or fifth sets, nadal's going to be in some trouble.

the court itself actually suits rafa's game nowadays. it's slow, very slow for a hard court, and slow courts really give federer fits when he's up against rafa. any court that gives rafa time to move around spells disaster for just about anybody he plays. but fed's got history on his side. the pressure of equaling and passing sampras got to him last year, but he's had a year to live with that pressure and i think he's ready to execute. i'm pumped!

go fed!

go fed!

RAFA!!! as much as i wanted federer to win, nadal far and away deserved this one. he is clearly the best tennis player in the world. what an effort. fed completely mailed it in in the fifth.

i think federer trying to stake a claim to greatest of all time takes a huge hit tonight. he had every advantage and completely mailed it in. that's not the sign of a champion. it's becoming more and more clear that his talent and skill level haven't faded, it's the mere fact that he's going up against people that believe they can beat him. when the player across the net is confident, federer chokes.

nadal was incredible. absolutely amazing. he has an iron will like i've never seen in an athlete. maybe tiger woods compares, but that's about it. he never gives up, no matter what. what a competitor!!

I had no trust in Rafa before the Australian Open,he sucked so bad against Monfils in Qatar.

But I guess if Gil Reyes can give Nadal's physique to Verdasco in 2 weeks,then Rafa can get his game back in the same amount of time.

Roger's still good and Rafa is a beast,but I want to see some variety.

2009 Australian Open Rafael Nadal

2008 U.S. Open Roger Federer

2008 Wimbledon Rafael Nadal

2008 French Open Rafael Nadal

2008 Australian Open Novak Djokovic

2007 U.S. Open Roger Federer

2007 Wimbledon Roger Federer

2007 French Open Rafael Nadal

2007 Australian Open Roger Federer

2006 U.S. Open Roger Federer

2006 Wimbledon Roger Federer

2006 French Open Rafael Nadal

2006 Australian Open Roger Federer

2005 U.S. Open Roger Federer

2005 Wimbledon Roger Federer

2005 French Open Rafael Nadal

Hopefully Verdasco for the Wimbledon & Murray for the US Open.