• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

1/17 GDT: Sharks 6, Red Wings 5

Rate this topic

I think you're missing the point. This isn't really about bragging rights. This about playoff seeding.

Is that really the reason you'd be upset after a loss to the Sharks? Come on, now.

I know all the points are important yadda yadda yadda but there's a million and one games to go, every game isn't a big one like this one was, but they're all worth the same amount of points.

It was frustrating at times but it was enjoyable overall precisely because of how (in the grand scheme of a season) pointless it was. Drops in a bucket. If this were a playoff game I'd be feeling quite differently, but there's a looong way between then and now.

Well that settles it... we have all been blaming Ozzie and the D but it's really Datsyuk's fault for not scoring on that breakaway! lol :ph34r:

Yes, for those who can't see past the intentionally misdirected judgment to see that he was basically saying Nabby made the stops he needed to, Osgood didn't.

Osgood at best has been inconsistent. The stats back that up. There are really only a handful of games this season where he hasn't given up a really soft goal. Usually, hes good for a few great stops and will let in a softie or two. That performance negates itself. Tonight, unfortunately, he didn't make a single big stop, and let in at least 1 goal, that he should've had, and thats being generous.

Ultimately, this isn't about Ozzie playing terribly overall. He hasn't. But he has ben mediocre. And thats fine when we play mediocre teams, but not when we play great teams, and even less so when we're in the playoffs.

EXACTLY! thank you.

i do blame alot on the lebda as well... this kid just makes way to many turnovers that result in breaks for the oposition.

Good news is the Wings are going to stomp all over Phoenix. To be a little more level-headed, I think we're doing okay, but we need to be stronger on the puck. We did some crazy good things tonight but San Jose always broke up what we were trying. I feel confident with Conklin in net, and Ozzie is a good backup for the lesser teams, until he proves otherwise unfortunately.

I still feel we have the best shot at the Cup, but San Jose is right behind us. Mark my words, one of us will win the Cup this year. THe other league is just in the way. If we learn anything from this seasons' matchups, is that both San Jose and Detroit can dominate the other, and both can play crappy. We're probably about dead-even right now in every category.

I hope the Wings and San Jose meet in the Conference Finals for the right to play for the cup. I think it will be an epic 6 or 7 game series and I hope Detroit comes out on top. Remember the days of the Detroit and Colorado rivalry? Those days would be done. San Jose would be the new rivalry by the time this series is done. It would be the best series we could ask for in the playoffs.

Thats if San Jose doesn't choke like they have done in the playoffs before.

Is that really the reason you'd be upset after a loss to the Sharks? Come on, now.

I know all the points are important yadda yadda yadda but there's a million and one games to go, every game isn't a big one like this one was, but they're all worth the same amount of points.

It was frustrating at times but it was enjoyable overall precisely because of how (in the grand scheme of a season) pointless it was. Drops in a bucket. If this were a playoff game I'd be feeling quite differently, but there's a looong way between then and now.

I said that at the beginning of the game, before we had lost. Look back through the thread, I made the same comment.

Well that settles it... we have all been blaming Ozzie and the D but it's really Datsyuk's fault for not scoring on that breakaway! lol :ph34r:

i acknowledge your sarcasm but just am building on the point. datsyuk's wasn't that much of a breakaway. we gave them two pristine breakaways in the 3rd period of a tight game. yeah, we could hope that ozzie makes the save on at least one of two. but our philosophy has never been to have a game-stealing goalie. we need to be way more responsible and not give breakaways like that. those two plays were the reason we lost the game. stuart should have played the ******* body.

oh, and losing one of our most clutch scorers for the third period didn't help, either.

Oh, give me a break. What about the Ducks game when he made the glove stop and was sliding into the goal, pushing his arm out to keep it over the line? Or the goal at the end where he knocked it out of the air as he was already down.

Osgood has the highest win percentage of any goalie this year. He has an overall record of 15-2-5. Don't even give me that BS. Because that's exactly what it is... BS.

Those are horrible and misleading stats. As far as I'm concerned, only GAA and S% are relevant to judging a goalie's performance. THe rest are team stats.

We'll still pass the Sharks soon, but it's clear our defense still has some kinks to work out. And with that, I'm going to bed.

Yeah, allowing both those breakaways was pretty inexcusable, but Ozzie looked really tentative in net tonight. Those were some great shots, but both those goals in the third were in the net before he even reacted.

Crap, they were both top corner shots. If I would blame him for any goal, it would be two rebound goals he gave up in the first/second period.

Osgood at best has been inconsistent. The stats back that up. There are really only a handful of games this season where he hasn't given up a really soft goal. Usually, hes good for a few great stops and will let in a softie or two. That performance negates itself. Tonight, unfortunately, he didn't make a single big stop, and let in at least 1 goal, that he should've had, and thats being generous.

Ultimately, this isn't about Ozzie playing terribly overall. He hasn't. But he has ben mediocre. And thats fine when we play mediocre teams, but not when we play great teams, and even less so when we're in the playoffs.

Osgood has never been an all star goalie.. and I don't expect it out of him. Which is why it confused me that Babs put him in net to begin with. BUT.. if our D hadn't broken down, there (most likely) would've been no break-aways for Ozzie to stop. The bigger problem is our D - not our goaltending.

The Red Wings place their money and most of their talent on the defense and work their way out. Goaltending is down there on the priority list. The idea being... if the rest of the team does their jobs, Ozzie won't have to make astounding saves, saving the Wings money between the pipes. It's worked for us for a long time. He had a bad game. He DOES that. But our defense DOESN'T.

Well, Wings had 2 breakaway chances if you count Cleary's all alone chance in front and Datsyuk's.

So 2-0 San Jose.

Both were just too close and could not raise the puck. Nabokov gets the credit for placing pad in the right place, but if puck goes up he probably not going to make those saves.

The Wings have insane amounts of poise. They are never emotionally affected by being down. They bounce back immediately and are dangerous on every play. Sharks won by the thinnest of margins.

Agreed, plus we play when it matters..... Playoffs.

Ya we lost tonight but was it our best effort or even close to it? hewoolzno.

We played an entertaining game against Pittsburgh this year but in no way, shape or form was that even close to elite Red Wings Hockey. We were off tonight, the D was lazy at times and SJ took advantage. SJ can win every regular season game, i dont care, all i know is that the DETROIT RED WINGS WIN WHEN IT REALLY MATTERS. People might say this was an important game but an important Regular Season game doesn't even compare to Game 1 of the first round of the playoffs. Im a midnight toker and the SJ Sharks are playoff chokers, that is how it is, that is how it will be, enjoy a regular season win.

And now we;ve got another game decided by refs.

- 5 on 3 in the second when Thornton dived, goal

- dive by Nabokov not to mention that he was clearly outside of the crease, another goal

- Marleau was in offside when he scored, another goal

- clear trip on Cleary that prevented 6 on 4 in the final seconds

that's patetic game from refs...

ROFLMAO

I hate it when the Refs determine the outcome of the game.

You'd think that they wanted the Sharks to win

Guest Shoreline

It was very close to me if Marleau was offsides on that last Sharks break. Nonetheless, the Wings D should not get beat twice like that. Osgood wasn't there to bail either, and it's tough when you can't rely on your goalie to stick up for the D when things go sour. Between Ozzie and Nabokov, Nabokov was better. Wings played a good game, but the Sharks simply played better, and indeed it was one of the best games I've seen all year in terms of entertainment. Hopefully the Wings will even things up next month at home.

Edit: Ugh, and the refs throwing the game s*** here in the posts before me are ridiculous. The refs had some terrible calls the Wings capitalized on.

Edited by Shoreline

Oh, give me a break. What about the Ducks game when he made the glove stop and was sliding into the goal, pushing his arm out to keep it over the line? Or the goal at the end where he knocked it out of the air as he was already down.

Osgood has the highest win percentage of any goalie this year. He has an overall record of 15-2-5. Don't even give me that BS. Because that's exactly what it is... BS.

ooooooooooooooohhhhh my bad! he had two god save once this season in one game... against a team whos leading scorers and half the team are out of the line up... my bad... forgive me all mighty goddess of the wings knowledge... so hes got the highest win %... hes got horrible GA and hes let in already in 24 games the amount of goals he had all last season... your confident in that? cuz im sure not... id much rather see conks... night in and night out, unil he gets cold... let ozzy sit and work out his game mentaly and physcaly in practice... hes not worth a damn in these big games. and if you cant see that, well, i guess you should have another drink...

Those are horrible and misleading stats. As far as I'm concerned, only GAA and S% are relevant to judging a goalie's performance. THe rest are team stats.

We'll still pass the Sharks soon, but it's clear our defense still has some kinks to work out. And with that, I'm going to bed.

Hey, they're still stats.. no matter how "horrible and misleading" you might think they are.

Just checking the box score, the Wings gave up 21 shots on goal in the second period?? wtf?!

Remember last year when that would be the total they'd give up for a game?

QFT.

Having said that, Ozzie has to do more. I said all through the playoffs last season when pimping him as a Conn Smythe candidate that the wings don't give up many chances, but the ones they do tend to be gilt-edged ones. Last year Ozzie was stopping those chances. This year he isn't. And he isn't even stopping the half-chances. And the wings defensive play (as a 5 man unit) has given up too many chances.

Lotsa blame all round, but quite simply Ozzie has to be better when the opposition gets a chance.

i'm not ready to say san jose is undoubtedly better than the wings, but i'm leaning that way. they are like the wings but bigger, stronger, faster, and hungrier.

incredibly exciting game tonight. too bad we ended up on the wrong end.

oz needs to ride the pine. conks should be the clear number one. ozzy didn't lose this game single handedly tonight, but he did absolutely nothing to win it (much as he's done most of the season). i don't know what happened to him during the summer, maybe it's being the clear cut number one to start, he seems to play better as back up, but whatever it is, he's not the goalie he was last year. he needs to sit down.

mccrimmon should be fired. our defense is a shadow of what it was last year. i don't know what it is, but it's inexcusable.

all that said, the sharks are a damn good team. i think the biggest difference is they are hungrier. but they're also faster and bigger and stronger. they are a tough team to match up against. the wings are the more skilled team, but that doens't mean a whole lot if we get as outworked as we did tonight.

Again, its great to see Osgood make those huge stops, and we all commended him for those when he made them. But that Ducks game was another example of Osgood's calling card this season. The first goal that was scored on him he should've had. Yes, I love it when he steals a goal, but when he becomes generous and gives it right back, he hasn't made a difference.

Look through my posts through this entire season, and I avoid ranting on goaltenders (in fact, I praised him when there were 5 goals scored on him in Dallas because he was the best player on the ice), but now its become an issue because our coach chose to look past Osgood's glaring inconsistencies and played him when he shouldn't have. Thats a scary indicator of what might happen in the playoffs. And its not unlike the Red Wings organization to reward past performance and reputation with undeserved rewards. It was the same case with Hasek last season. Osgood was playing much better than Hasek all season, yet Hasek still got the start.

ooooooooooooooohhhhh my bad! he had two god save once this season in one game... against a team whos leading scorers and half the team are out of the line up... my bad... forgive me all mighty goddess of the wings knowledge... so hes got the highest win %... hes got horrible GA and hes let in already in 24 games the amount of goals he had all last season... your confident in that? cuz im sure not... id much rather see conks... night in and night out, unil he gets cold... let ozzy sit and work out his game mentaly and physcaly in practice... hes not worth a damn in these big games. and if you cant see that, well, i guess you should have another drink...

This has nothing to do with my "confidence" in Osgood. It has to do with people blaming this entire loss on him. The Wings have functioned this way for years. Don't like it? Then watch another team. He contributed to this loss, but he was definitely NOT the main factor. Blame him all you like - but it's foolish when you consider the way the team is organized and set up - purposely so.

Also, I don't drink. I'm not a child, though - so keep the insults to a minimum.

Not trying to make any excuses but I'm getting tired of the fact that in order for us to win we have to be CLEARY (read two times) better than the opposing team. In a game like this when both sides are roughly equal every single thing matters. And we never win such kind of games.

I was actually pretty stoked for the chance to take first place tonight, even if San Jose had a game at hand. I've always thought the second seed was cursed.

I've been noticing more and more people making comments about Gary Roberts joining the team replacing Kopecky. Just curious? How much does Roberts make, what should be done to get him, is it possible, and should we actually do it? Kopecky is useless and I'd take just about anyone over him.

And mess with our dynamite fourth line? I don't think so. ;)

If Ozzie had anything to prove, this game would of been the time to show it, I think that's what Babcock was thinking. I guess it could have gone either way without certain mistakes. Bounces, penalties, defense all had a play. Detroit will rebound and I look forward to Feb. 25th, I'll be there.