• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

1/17 GDT: Sharks 6, Red Wings 5

Rate this topic

heres my thoughts.

1)great game. most exciting one in a while.

2)less than stellar goaltending from ozzy, but to blame the game on him you would have to be either insane, not know hockey, or joking.

3)defense was not good, as it hasnt been most of the season.

4)this is not an excuse, the refs did a bad job tonight

5)sharks played great, nabby was great

6)it seems like some people on here just started watching hockey yesterday

7)that play was not offsides, but should not have been a break in the first place

8)cleary was tripped, blatantly

9)i need to take a piss

12)this has gone on too long so im done

Again, its great to see Osgood make those huge stops, and we all commended him for those when he made them. But that Ducks game was another example of Osgood's calling card this season. The first goal that was scored on him he should've had. Yes, I love it when he steals a goal, but when he becomes generous and gives it right back, he hasn't made a difference.

Look through my posts through this entire season, and I avoid ranting on goaltenders (in fact, I praised him when there were 5 goals scored on him in Dallas because he was the best player on the ice), but now its become an issue because our coach chose to look past Osgood's glaring inconsistencies and played him when he shouldn't have. Thats a scary indicator of what might happen in the playoffs. And its not unlike the Red Wings organization to reward past performance and reputation with undeserved rewards. It was the same case with Hasek last season. Osgood was playing much better than Hasek all season, yet Hasek still got the start.

I just don't want any wires to get crossed here, so let me clarify what's setting me off.

People singling out Osgood as if he was the largest/only reason we lost. I've said before that he should NOT have been in net tonight. But, when you consider how this team is built, the defense should be the far bigger concern.

That is what's tugging my strings.

This has nothing to do with my "confidence" in Osgood. It has to do with people blaming this entire loss on him. The Wings have functioned this way for years. Don't like it? Then watch another team. He contributed to this loss, but he was definitely NOT the main factor. Blame him all you like - but it's foolish when you consider the way the team is organized and set up - purposely so.

Also, I don't drink. I'm not a child, though - so keep the insults to a minimum.

whos insulting? insinuating that your drunk only means that you arent thinking clearly... but have no fear, im not about to be baited into a net fight... so calm down.

i blame lebda just as much as i blame ozzy tonight incase ya missed that one to...

this game sucked to see lost, but im now leaving for bed and hopefuly ill be over it in the am.

Crap, they were both top corner shots. If I would blame him for any goal, it would be two rebound goals he gave up in the first/second period.

I know they were great shots, but Ozzie didn't make any attempt to come out and challenge. He just looks shaky back there.

This was an amazingly fun game to watch.

We didn't win in the end, but remember that it took lousy goaltending, an illegal goal, a 5-on-3 and two breakaways due to sloppy defense to net them 7 goals.

We scored 6 with Nabokov playing well and making some big stops, their defense not really making any huge mistakes, and with only one PP-goal(and barely getting any PP's).

I don't know, I didn't see a team that we can't beat in the WCF. I saw us coming really close to winning despite letting in 7 goals, on their home ice.

With a normal Ozzie, or with Conklin in net, we would have won this game.

The only thing I'm worried about is if Conks would start to become shaky, then we would be in real trouble.

Any updates on Franzen?

i'd have to see a replay of Babcock's post-game comments again, but it sounded as through that Franzen didn't just experience "tightness" during the second intermission but heading into tonight's game. In the 2nd intermission the trainers apparently couldn't get it to loosen up so the club opted to rest him.

Status for Monday is unknown but at this point I'd say they're going to rest him and just let him come back after the break.

I wouldn't be so annoyed at that last Sharks goal if it wasn't because we got a lot offside calls against us that seemed like they really could go either way.

The one towards the end where Hossa even got a shot away is an example of that. Consistancy, where art thou?

Nevertheless, I'll take it to my grave that that goddamned goal was goddamned offside.

When I watched it live I was screaming that it was offside, but after watching the replay I thought it was the right call.

Complete horseshait that San Jose managed to get a pair of breakaways in the third period.

Osgood has never been an all star goalie.. and I don't expect it out of him. Which is why it confused me that Babs put him in net to begin with. BUT.. if our D hadn't broken down, there (most likely) would've been no break-aways for Ozzie to stop. The bigger problem is our D - not our goaltending.

The Red Wings place their money and most of their talent on the defense and work their way out. Goaltending is down there on the priority list. The idea being... if the rest of the team does their jobs, Ozzie won't have to make astounding saves, saving the Wings money between the pipes. It's worked for us for a long time. He had a bad game. He DOES that. But our defense DOESN'T.

Our defense still needs some serious work. They play fine vs the Jackets, Columbus, etc., but are giving up way too many SOG to better teams. Those two brainfart giveaways in the third turned a sure OT into a W for SJ.

And we seem to get pinned deep in our zone ALOT! :o And had a ton of trouble clearing, getting the puck up ice. But hey this was one of the top 3-4 teams in the league we played tonight (not sure I'd hand them a 1 outside the points) so things are tougher.

We just need to make sure we take care of business next time SJ visits the Joe - that will set up a 2-2 tie for the season an make for an interested collision course in the POs.

When I watched it live I was screaming that it was offside, but after watching the replay I thought it was the right call.

Complete horseshait that San Jose managed to get a pair of breakaways in the third period.

Exactly. Offsides or no, they got in behind our defence twice in the third period of a tight game. I'm not sure if it was fatigue or just sloppiness on the Wings' part, but that can't happen. Disappointing, but also very uncharacteristic--until it becomes a trend, it's not something to worry about.

If I'm a linesman, I'm not sure whether or not I'd err on the side of caution with a play like that.

Nevertheless, I'll take it to my grave that that goddamned goal was goddamned offside.

me. too.

and that's why we're wings fans.

cheers.

Ty Conklin DET 22 16 5 1 616 48 2.21 568 .922 5

Chris Osgood DET 24 15 3 5 658 77 3.23 581 .883 0

although i'm slightly frustrated by your list of numbers with no denotations (i'm assuming that the 616/658 stats are saves made this season? 48 and 77 are goals against?) i get your point.

there were probably few here who would have put ozzie in net tonight...though most of us still love him (i certainly do). conks is clearly playing better right now. why they chose to play ozzie will probably be a mystery that will never be solved.

Simplified:

Detroit vs Dallas: *****-worthy loss.

Detroit vs San Jose: Close, exciting game.

And we lost both and our goalies were Osgood. He allowed 11 goals in 2 games. GAA 5.5? are you kidding me?

me too. i went from pissed at the refs to pissed at our D in a matter of seconds

Ty Conklin DET 22 16 5 1 616 48 2.21 568 .922 5

Chris Osgood DET 24 15 3 5 658 77 3.23 581 .883 0

I wanted to play Conklin this game but I was also not mad about playing Osgood, the game was lost off of the 5-3 which was 2 bad/weak/embellished calls. Osgood was not at all good in this game but those last 2 goals were not his fault either, it was lazy defense. Once again i must say why are we sweating over a regular season game? We also lost to the Maple Leafs this season, the Wings played at about 60% tonight and they would have won playing at 60% with Conklin in net, no offense to Osgood but Conklin is clearly superior at this point in the season. Let the SJ fanboys enjoy they are chokers, come playoffs we will do what we do and SJ will disappear like a fart in the wind.

Right when the game began and I saw Osgood in net, my heart sank. I really wish people would stop talking about last season in his defense. Yes, he played well last season. Yes, his playoff performance last season was Conn Smythe-worthy. However, it's a new season, and a new Osgood. This year he just can't make the big saves. Sure, you can always find one or two big saves he made, but the fact that you have to single out saves from individual games should be an argument AGAINST his performance, not for it. Stats can only be misleading to a certain point. Our defensive play has most certainly dropped off a bit, but that would affect both Osgood and Conklin. Conklin's save percentage is at .922, and Osgood's is sitting at .885 before this game (with a GAA about one goal higher), which undoubtedly dropped it. As another poster stated, both goalies started out rough, and only one of them has improved thus far. And Babcock clearly isn't operating on the reward system with his goalies, either. It must be disheartening for Conklin to come up with a shutout and still ride the bench in the next game, which was (arguably) the biggest game of the year.

I don't blame the loss solely on Osgood though. I do think he should have had a few of the goals, but you can't let a team like the Sharks have free reign in our zone like they did. Defensive lapses killed us tonight. I'm not sure what happened tonight, but two consecutive breakaways in one of the biggest games of the season triggers a red flag for me. I think our loss can also, in part, be attributed to the fact that San Jose came out with a great deal of speed and physicality that we're simply not used to. Their forecheck is extremely aggressive, and they broke up our passes throughout the entire game. I think the fact that we scored five goals is more of a testament to our outstanding offensive talent than to their lack of defensive/goaltending talent. Also, as another poster pointed out, they're missing two of their top defenders.

I look forward to meeting them in February and humbling them! The fact that San Jose seemed to be playing their absolute best, and the Red Wings seemed to play sub par is actually sort of promising given the result of this game. It will definitely make the playoffs more interesting, assuming both teams make it that far!

Fun fact: When it comes to playoff hockey Joe Thornton is an absolute nobody. I dont have the exact stats off the top of my head but his production is horrendous. He is mentally unfit in the playoffs while we have been there and done that. As long as you make the playoffs the regular season means nothing, what really matters is how you perform on the big stage and Joe Thorton is as limp as they come. (Pun intended)

Some thoughts on tonights game from a Sharks fan.

Damn, at the end of the second period, I wasn't sure if I should be depressed or estatic with the play of the Sharks. Then I remembered they were playing the defending champs, for first place in the division, and were hanging in there.

Which is precisely what I think the Sharks did tonight against a rediculously talented Wings team, hung in there. Which might be the key to whoever wins this series later this year (assuming we meet in the playoffs, which would be a complete travesty if we didn't).

Not sure who posted earlier that they are beginning to think the Sharks are "undoubtedly" the better team. I wish I could agree but I can't, the Wings are perversely talented.

Despite all the pre-game BS from both teams that this game wasn't that important, BOVINE SCAT! This was clearly a very important game for both teams, and much more chippy then either of the previous.

I thought that the officiating was poor but not decidely so. I think the Refs were told to let the teams play and tried to stay out of the game, which both teams were taking overt advantage of, forcing the Refs to have to make tough and sometimes poor calls throughout.

Regarding fatigue...BS

Something else that struck me tonight. Despite all the talk about how the Sharks and Wings are so similar, I think I have to disagree.

The Wings (as I stated earlier) are rediculously talented upfront from a skills/skating/puck control perspective. The Wings defense is a little slow, but the team as a whole does an amazing job of making up for it. How many times did Datsyuk back check and create/pick up the turnover then carry it forward to creat an offensive opp? Yet despite all the assistance from the forwards on the back check it doesn't really affect the teams ability to move the puck up ice and set up the cycle in the other end. Brilliant stuff!

The Sharks on the other hand are much bigger and faster, with less of the "european" game the Wings play so effectively. The Sharks don't move the puck as well, but seem to force the puck to the net. Watching the game tonight you could really see how well the sharks use size and leverage to maintain puck control. They are a much better team when they throw those big bodies around as well. Several of the Sharks goals were set up tonight off big hits.

The Sharks defense isn't slow, but very mistake prone. Missing two of our top four defensement (Blake and Lukowich) really hurt.

Overall the defensive play on both sides was really weak tonight which clearly lead to the high score.

Take away: This is a really tough match up for both teams. Not sure I can say which team is better. The Wings are a scary good skills and hustle team, but the sharks get the nod for overall physicality, speed and desire.

Oh and whoever said that Boston can't hang with these teams...BS. Bruins are the real deal, and much more like the Sharks then the Sharks are like the Wings.

Edited by Ratbastrd

Fun fact: When it comes to playoff hockey Joe Thornton is an absolute nobody. I dont have the exact stats off the top of my head but his production is horrendous. He is mentally unfit in the playoffs while we have been there and done that. As long as you make the playoffs the regular season means nothing, what really matters is how you perform on the big stage and Joe Thorton is as limp as they come. (Pun intended)

Just keep repeating that to yourself in the mirror every morning. I am sure that will make the anxiety go away.