• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aussie_Wing

1/17 & 1/19 GDT: Grand Rapids Griffins @ Rockford IceHogs

Rate this topic

Grand Rapids Griffins (24-9-5-3) @ Rockford IceHogs (21-16-0-4)

GR-jan1.jpg
(Will keep using photo until Jan gets back in the line-up!)

0c106b0f016bb1daa2eb7543376e8bf5.300.jpg @ 69ffac7b1e32a6535012cf5fc6c0c1b5.300.jpg

The Grand Rapids Griffins saw their 5 game point streak come to an end last night with a 6-4 loss to the Moose. They started slowly conceding 4 goals in the first period and Larsson was chased as a result. The slow start proved costly as despite scoring 3 unanswered goals in the 3rd they went down 6-4. With the loss the Griffins fell to 2nd place in the North Division, 2 points out of first place. One thing that has been evident in this seasons Griffins team, they seem to respond very well from losses so expect a hungry outfit to take the ice tonight.

Mattias Ritola continues to be a bright spark for the team as he extended his point streak to 6 games. Rookie Francis Pare now has 14 goals for the season and has 26 points from as many games. The Griffins have killed off 39 consecutive penalties spanning across a franchise record 10 games. Despite letting in 6 goals last night they were still faultless when down a man. Jimmy Howard should get the start tonight after taking over from an unusually poor Daniel Larsson.

Possible line-up:

Leino - Abdelkader - Tardif
Ritola - Haydar - Gagnon
Lemieux - McGrath - Pare
Oulahen - Emmerton - Downey

Ericsson - Pyett
Kolosov - Stafford
Kindl - Galvin

Howard
Larsson

Team Leaders:

Goals: Ritola (15), Haydar, Pare (14)
Assists: Leino (25), Kindl (21)
Penalty Minutes: Downey (67), Abdelkader (57)

Notes:

• Mattias Ritola is on a 6 game point streak (4-4-8).
• Francis Pare is tied for 9th in the league for rookie scoring.
• Jakub Kindl is 5th in defenceman scoring with 26 points for the season.

TV/Radio:

Internet stream: Pay-per-view AHL Live

Radio: Grand Rapids Broadcast: Radio feed

Box Score

After the horrible play last night, hopefully tonight will be much better.

I'll give a detailed recap of the Monday game, 3 of us are driving down for that one. Hopefully we get some points these next 2 games.

GROwl, uk_redwing, Coyote, instead sending PM's to each of you I might as well just post it here. I'm going away for a week and therefore will be unable to post GDT's. I was wondering whether either of you, or all of you, could post the threads while I'm away? Cheers guys.

Well, it's 2 - 0 already.

Tardiff (assist by Leino)

Oulahen (A by Ericsson, Gagnon)

and Aussie, we'll make sure to keep it up to date so when you come back you are well informed of what the happenings were.

Guest mindfly

Is he that bad? I thought I read coaches liked him and was impressed by him etc... Did he not progress as projected?

Its only his first year, and there are so many other boyz this year with a lot of talent that he has to share ice with. Very few injuries this year - both on the Griffins and the Red Wings - so Jan's probably not getting the opportunities he normally would even in his rookie season. No one likes to see injuries, but when they occur, it does provide new chances to shine at all levels.

That was a horrible game for the boys. Our passing wasn't crisp, our defense had MULTIPLE mental lapses, and that ultimately led to our defeat. It could have easily been a 4-0 Rockford game, but Larsson stood on his head and stole a point for us.

The question about this team for me is still defense. How can a defense led by Ericsson, Kindl, and Stafford make as many lapses as they do? Why have they yet to figure out their "woes"? I guess it's the same for the Wings though, both teams have work to do on Defense if they are going to go far in the playoffs.

Rockford's arena is pretty cool though. It was "kids day" at their arena on Monday, but they were an extremely loud bunch. All the fans were really nice to us, and better yet, we didn't have to get up once! My favorite, is after a home goal, they play "money, money, money" and yell something along the lines of "Hey, guess what, you're goalie sucks!". It's a classic! It's always fun to go to other arena's and see how different things are, and then decide how bad our own arena's "sound crew" really is.