• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Winged_Wheeler

Chris Osgood- What do we do?

Rate this topic

Babcock didn't start his hot goalie against the best team in the league. The results 6-5 Sharks. It is not all Ozzie although he should have had a couple of them. Stupid penalties again and just o.k defence are as much to blame. Kronner looks like a zombie out there and has all season, what is wrong with him?

I agree Ozzie needs to get much better but this is a team game. Nabby also let in 5 and I am sure nobody is saying he sucks today in San Jose!

Conklin has shown he should start by his play. He looks sharp, quick, and overall the better goalie. Never been a osgood fan; he gave a good playoff run - but it looks like his tank is empty. He will never (and never has) been able to steal a game when we need it. Like someone wrote ealier - the same defense plays in front of both. Osgood has done this before reference the late 90's. Ride the hot goalie - conks should play - sit oscrap. Don't want to hear all the helmet love for him whining out there - "but i love osgood" so what - go drop in front of him but out of view please; it won't change his pathetic performances. Pray for our young swede goalie to be true.

I don't know what else to say about him. What's happened to him? I know he's an average goaltender, but if you give up 4-6 goals a game there's an issue. Osgood's got 3 regulation loses, but all of those he should have won. The San Jose game was a disaster. Tired Red Wings team plays solid offense and Osgood's screws it up by giving up 2 breakaway goals.

I just don't know what to say.

Should they bench him and tell him to get it together? Maybe trade him? Did the defense bail him out last year in the playoffs or was he in the zone?

Indifferent right now.

Discuss.

Are you kidding me? You don't blame the goalie on breakaway goals, you blame the defense.

This. I'm done here after the first page. See you next goalie thread, kids.

Guest mindfly

Osgood the man, the myth, the legend!!!

What is he, 8th all time for most wins? How can a goalie this bad have so many wins?

Edited by mindfly

Now people who tried to protect Osgood should go away and disappear. How the f*** the goalie allows more than 5 goals already few times start a game against the Sharks?

I don't care this is the beginning or middle of the season. We gave Osgood already too many chances to prove that his record of the beginning was a fluke. But the truth has been showed up.

Osgood just sucks and give all big game chances to Conklin. Give starts to Osgood when we play against the horrible teams like Isles.

I don't mind how much Osgood gets as a salary. Some people here said it is not Osgood's fault when he allows a goal. Ok, then is it a good stat that Goalie allows 6 goals so many times? Goalie should make a key save. We don't expect Osgood to be Patrick Roy. Our goalies need to make only key saves because our defenses are superior.

That was the difference between Nabby and Osgood. Nabby was not even good tonight but he made key saves on a breakway.

Who cares about the priority of Osgood on this team. Skills and Stats show everything on goalie and stats do not lie. Yes, sometimes the organization has to show players that they believe those players. But, now look at it. We don't need Osgood to start the game again at all.

GAA over 3.00 is just a terrible thing to see and save percentage is lower than .900?

Personally, I think the Wings played better than the Sharks tonight by the offenses and defenses. Well, last bad allowing break away by defense were bad but overall we played better than the Sharks.

What is?

Whoever made the final decision to start Osgood vs. San Jose (I'm assuming there was consultation amongst all concerned, in the same way everthing is done with the Club) may have been playing a hunch and it proved to be wrong, this time.

Maybe it's the 6-game roadtrip (5 before the ASG). The Club is still 2W-1L-1OTL on the trip, so far, and they've only ever won all 6 games on a sixer once (2002). And they only lost by 1 stinkin' goal.

This is a test of endurance: 45 games played, 37 games to be played. It will all work out.

Whoever made the final decision to start Osgood vs. San Jose (I'm assuming there was consultation amongst all concerned, in the same way everthing is done with the Club) may have been playing a hunch and it proved to be wrong, this time.

Maybe it's the 6-game roadtrip (5 before the ASG). The Club is still 2W-1L-1OTL on the trip, so far, and they've only ever won all 6 games on a sixer once (2002). And they only lost by 1 stinkin' goal.

This is a test of endurance: 45 games played, 37 games to be played. It will all work out.

Agreed

I don't know what else to say about him. What's happened to him? I know he's an average goaltender, but if you give up 4-6 goals a game there's an issue. Osgood's got 3 regulation loses, but all of those he should have won. The San Jose game was a disaster. Tired Red Wings team plays solid offense and Osgood's screws it up by giving up 2 breakaway goals.

I just don't know what to say.

Should they bench him and tell him to get it together? Maybe trade him? Did the defense bail him out last year in the playoffs or was he in the zone?

Indifferent right now.

Discuss.

Osgood might have been good previous years but there is no way he has proven to be # 1 this year. I really wish Babcock would wake up and not start him as often. There is definately no panick but Osgood is not a a starting goalie at least he shouldnt be this year. Every game Osgood plays Detroit has to score 5 or 6 goals for them to get a win

300+ wins , all because he played on a great team. Try sticking him on another team(cough st. louis the isles etc.) what happens - there and gone - just proving he is barely average - he should be kissing Holland's ass for where he is at and GIVING him a job while he was sitting on the sideline with no takers.

Personally, I think the Wings played better than the Sharks tonight by the offenses and defenses. Well, last bad allowing break away by defense were bad but overall we played better than the Sharks.

What game did you watch last night? Far as I saw, the Wings were out shot, I believe lost more draws, were out hit, at times lacked puck support, allowed way too many odd-man rushes including two full breakaways who took shots, where as Cleary and a few others found themselves down low with a chance to get a quick shot off and instead got cute and tried to deke backhand and forgo the vulnerable five-hole of Nabokov and attempt to beat an already sprawled pad.

Media will call it a great game between two powerhouses and goalie-doomsday theorists like you will call it a game Ozzy lost, but the fact of the matter is, the Wings definitely didn't play a complete 60 minutes and our defense has screened it own goaltender and turned over the puck in the neutral zone way too often.

All this said, both teams have held serve so far this season which is what should be expected by two teams so evenly matched. We have a chance to split in Detroit, February 25. Many people on here, like the media, often call the latest winner the better team. "Wings put them in there place!" read headlines in December, this morning stuff like "We're number one!" is out there. Luckily for hockey fans, its not April, its January.

300+ wins , all because he played on a great team. Try sticking him on another team(cough st. louis the isles etc.) what happens - there and gone - just proving he is barely average - he should be kissing Holland's ass for where he is at and GIVING him a job while he was sitting on the sideline with no takers.

People forget that the Blues and the Isles that Ozzy played for were complete s***, not unlike today. People forget that while his stats weren't stupendous in the W-L columns just like any other goaltender that plays for such teams, Ozzy got them playoff berths. And really, who has done better pray tell? Manny Legace? Hasek post 2002? Cujo? Cheveldae in the early 90s?

Everyone always says any goaltender could play for the Wings, and yet even last season the Wings were looking at a possible first-round choke, and many other years when they are set up to dominate something goes arigh between the pipes. Throw Luongo on this team and instead of setting some record for most shutouts, I'll bet seeing approx. 20 shots a game makes him look very average and overpaid.

Are you kidding me? You don't blame the goalie on breakaway goals, you blame the defense.

breakaways are going to happen every now and then.......thats why you have a goalie is to STOP stuff like that. But both of those were shots that he should have stopped; its not like he was deked out of his jock or anything like that. His reaction times last night were slow especially his glove... Its been that way most of the season with him, not sure if hes done or what....Only reason this guy has a winning record is the offense in front of him.

I believe he was in the playoffs with the Isles and I dont remember if the Blues made it or not.

People forget that the Blues and the Isles that Ozzy played for were complete s***, not unlike today. People forget that while his stats weren't stupendous in the W-L columns just like any other goaltender that plays for such teams, Ozzy got them playoff berths. And really, who has done better pray tell? Manny Legace? Hasek post 2002? Cujo? Cheveldae in the early 90s?

Well he sure as hell ain't Rogie Vachon :D

I'd say to give Conks the starting job in essence for a while. Figure out wtf is wrong with Ozzie- is it his goalie coaching, a lingering injury, his confidence?- and then ride the hot hand in the playoffs.

In all fairness, Ozzie has been mediocre the first half of the season. I'm not that blind.

However, I really think he has been improving since Jan. 1, but the flaky defense and his GAA paint the wrong picture.

Ty is playing well, no doubt about that.

But let's not make him something he isn't: A bonafide starter or someone has can carry a team far into a postseason.

On every team has been, he's never been the starter.

He hasn't been mediocre. He's been bad. His stats are some of the worst in the league, which is obviously not mediocre. The wins he's gotten have come when we simply outscore the other team.

In other words, we win in spite of him and not because of him.

As I've stated earlier, Ozzie has been best when he's been the underdog in his career. Since last season, he's no longer been the underdog. He can't handle being the guy with the heavy load on his back.

Also, he's not the kind of goalie that can face 30-40 shots in a game and still win for his team. Only the elite goalies can do that. The defense has to find a way to give up less shots, because Ozzie can't handle this barrage of shots.

Finally, we need to think about developing a young goalie. Howard is a guy this team hasn't given much of a chance to, so it's probably better if they look elsewhere. Maybe we need a Swedish goalie.

breakaways are going to happen every now and then.......thats why you have a goalie is to STOP stuff like that. But both of those were shots that he should have stopped; its not like he was deked out of his jock or anything like that. His reaction times last night were slow especially his glove... Its been that way most of the season with him, not sure if hes done or what....Only reason this guy has a winning record is the offense in front of him.

:clap:

im with you.his reaction time was god awfull,the puck was in the net b4 his glove even came up.

Anyone who thinks that Ozzie was great with the Isles or Blues is crazy. If he was that good, those teams wouldn't have let him go after such a short time.

He's benefitted his whole career from playing on the best franchise in sports in the last 15 years. Without that, he'd just be another average goalie who's been passed around his whole career.

Everyone always says any goaltender could play for the Wings, and yet even last season the Wings were looking at a possible first-round choke, and many other years when they are set up to dominate something goes arigh between the pipes. Throw Luongo on this team and instead of setting some record for most shutouts, I'll bet seeing approx. 20 shots a game makes him look very average and overpaid.

Well said