• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Winged_Wheeler

Chris Osgood- What do we do?

Rate this topic

I just want to say to those of you that believe that players don't play differently in front of different goalies, I think you are wrong.

I don't think they're wrong.

It's one thing if your goalie has a tendency to fall down on the right, so the D watches the left a bit more carefully. It's another thing entirely to say that the defense loses confidence because they know how poor of a goalie Osgood can be, so they start making mistake upon mistake.

These guys are professional ice hockey players. They're coached to not let stuff get in their head - including things like that. Also, they're a team. Maybe one or two of them think Ozzie should be gone - but you don't do that to your teammates. Nobody goes in the locker room and says "Great job, Osgood. Why don't you just sit in the net and not do anything next time?" Why? Because a team takes a loss as a collective loss and doesn't place blame on certain players. Osgood knows he wasn't up to par. Defense knows they weren't doing their jobs. I highly doubt the Wings dwell on their losses the way we do and start blaming people and losing confidence.

/agree

/highfive @ Ms-Hockey

Exactly. Osgood has said he thinks about goals sometimes until 5am on nights he loses, and cant sleep. Its a team game, of course mostly 100% is on the goalie, cause hes supposed to stop the puck. As well as what about the guys who are supposed to score the goals? Or the guys that are supposed to back Osgood up?

Easy - the team has lost confidence in him as well.

And how does that explain anything? If they don't trust their goalie to make saves, wouldn't they try to reduce the number of shots allowed?

Are you kidding me? Legace was the only goalie in the last 15 years that can absorb as much or more of the blame for playoff failure as the team. He was terrible. Usually the team plays bad and the goalie plays alright or even great. Remember Cujo in his last hellish year here? He was our best player in the playoffs but we couldn't put the damn puck in the net to save our lives. That was not the case with Legace. Legace was just plain bad.

And for the love, distaste this year or not aside, you can't take anything away from Ozzie's playoff performance last year. It was nearly flawless in every regard. 2 shutouts to open up the Stanley Cup Finals against the NHL's golden boy??? He was nothing short of outstanding with a Conn Smythe-caliber performance. He could suck even worse this year, but you cannot take what he did on last years Cup run away from him. It was near-perfection.

I bet he feels dooped now after sticking around for hours and hours after the parade signing autographs for fans. Oh how quickly people can turn against you...

That was the best statement I have heard reguarding this issue. /slap hands

And wait when Osgood does it again this year, shines in the play offs of course all the band wagon jumpers.."I knew all along" "Of course he shined in the play-offs" "Wow hes bringing the magic back". Then of course it will be "Chris Osgood- What would we do without him?"

Wasn't there more that went into it? From my understanding, he had let in a more than easy goal from the blue line - with nobody standing anywhere near him - and nobody could believe it actually went in.

Ozzie used to play like Hasek. He would almost always go down on the ice. Worked out for Hasek.. but not as well for Ozzie. After he was traded, he was sent to some goalie training camp to learn how to butterfly before we took him back.

I could be wrong.. but I think his performance had to do with him being traded as well.

:blink:

....Well first of all, Osgood was NOT traded, he was waived and the Isles claimed him off waivers...

...his performane had NOTHING to do with him being waived, he was waived because they just traded for Hasek and Osgood was still making over $3 million per season all while Legace was around $1 million. There is no justification to having your back-up ride the pine for $3 million dollars. It made more $en$e to pay Manny to ride the bench...

...So, to sum it up, Osgood WAIVED not TRADED due to HUGE CONTRACT not PERFORMANCE. Do we have ANY real Wings fans on this forum? The kind that see things for what they are and get mad when play is bad, get angry at certain players for crappy plays and the kind that don't walk around with the rose colored glassess on? No offense, and you weren't only one in this thread to say he was TRADED, I cannot believe it. That goes along with some people saying we signed Hasek as a UFA in 2001...

^^^

Yes this was kind of a good control game. Both road games, D slacked in both (worse tonight) and both goalies gave up 6 GAA. Slight edge to Oz because of Sharks vs. Yotes. But all in all our middle-of-the-road GT has been exposed by our poor team defense....doesn't really matter which guy plays.

edit: yes i know some were PP goals - but 6 is 6 in the end no matter what actually gets charged to you - for both guys.

Edited by RockyMountainWingGal

Easy - the team has lost confidence in him as well.

How do you know this? Nobody in here knows this. Not you, not I, not anybody else on this forum.

Unless we are in the locker room or on the ice with Chris Osgood, we have no clue if the team has lost any confidence in him or not.

No, Osgood hasn't been up to snuff some this season, but in my opinion if they lost complete confidence in him they'd be playing Conklin more. A lot more.

The confidence angle is ... retarded. 96% of our roster won a cup infront of Ozzy just 7 months ago.

Everything will work itself out, we'll win our second straight cup, and this and other threads like it will be bumped sometime in 2010 for all of us to LOL at. :D

^^^

Yes this was kind of a good control game. Both road games, D slacked in both (worse tonight) and both goalies gave up 6 GAA. Slight edge to Oz because of Sharks vs. Yotes. But all in all our middle-of-the-road GT has been exposed by our poor team defense....doesn't really matter which guy plays.

Osgood was horrible tonight....6 goals against PHOENIX? Come on....

Oh, he didn't play? It was the other guy? Oh, nevermind...

Oh but wait. I think Osgood did play. He just put on Conk's helmet, and jersey, duh! The defense was spot on tonight, so was PK. It had to of been Osgood out there. Pfft. surprised you didn't know this.

^^^

edit: yes i know some were PP goals - but 6 is 6 in the end no matter what actually gets charged to you - for both guys.

It has nothing to do with penalties. The ENG had nothing to do with Conklin. He let in 5 goals.

....he was waived because they just traded for Hasek and Osgood was still making over $3 million per season all while Legace was around $1 million. There is no justification to having your back-up ride the pine for $3 million dollars. It made more $en$e to pay Manny to ride the bench.....

Actually Osgood was making $3.5M, with 2 years left on his contract at $3.75M and $4.0M, and Legace was making $550,000. But hey! Who's counting?

And it's only a guess on my part, but my "guess" would be that many posters who talk about how Osgood was "traded" were probably still in/barely out of grade school when it happened. It was some time ago, after all, (relatively speaking), when you consider the seeming young age of alot of the posters here.

I don't think they're wrong.

It's one thing if your goalie has a tendency to fall down on the right, so the D watches the left a bit more carefully. It's another thing entirely to say that the defense loses confidence because they know how poor of a goalie Osgood can be, so they start making mistake upon mistake.

These guys are professional ice hockey players. They're coached to not let stuff get in their head - including things like that. Also, they're a team. Maybe one or two of them think Ozzie should be gone - but you don't do that to your teammates. Nobody goes in the locker room and says "Great job, Osgood. Why don't you just sit in the net and not do anything next time?" Why? Because a team takes a loss as a collective loss and doesn't place blame on certain players. Osgood knows he wasn't up to par. Defense knows they weren't doing their jobs. I highly doubt the Wings dwell on their losses the way we do and start blaming people and losing confidence.

They're also human beings, emotions can affect even the most even-tempered person.

Just ask yourself these questions:

Have you ever seen a player get angry and take a bad penalty? Have you ever seen a team play with more intensity after a big save or a fight?