#41 Casey

Casey

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:30 PM

Let Hudler kick Clod's ass.
Posted Image
Ceterum autem censeo, Hudler esse delendam.

#42 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE (micah @ January 19, 2009 - 02:37PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"I dunno how McCarty looked cheap, find me anyone who thinks he was being cheap that night besides Avs fans. "

Hi, I'm Micah. I'm not an Aves fan, I am a Red wings fan. I think not squaring up with claude was cheap. Mac had the opportunity to school Claude strait-up, but he decided to jump him instead. I thought it was curious at the time, but the next year we learned why Mac choose to jump him - it was apparently because he wouldn't have soundly beat Lemieux without an unfair advantage.

It's too bad that the toughest player in the game - Brent Severyn - didn't go with McCarty. It's also too bad that the toughest player on either roster - Joey Kocur - was a scratch that night.

Lemieux got the nickname "turtle" for a reason...Did McCarty jump Lemieux? Yes...Would've Lemieux accepted McCarty's invite to drop the mitts? No.

I personally have nothing against what McCarty did, nor did the league at that time.

Edited by F.Michael, 20 January 2009 - 02:38 PM.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#43 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:42 PM

I watched a vid of that fight earlier today. It's looks like McCarty nailed Claude when he wasn't prepared, what I want to know is why wasn't he prepared? That was the equal of skating with your head down. IMO the reason for the first fight that night was to distract the refs so Mac could make his run. Everybody in the house knew that payback was coming.

All that aside you have to admit Claude has a nose for the cup. Wouldn't bother me to see his nose get jacked again instead though.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen

#44 Zion

Zion

Hall-of-Famer

• Bronze Booster
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:18 PM

The only thing I hate more than that turtling f*** himself are the douchebag announcers who call him "Clode Lehmyuh". I just want to punch through my television and choke them to death.
Hockeytown - No Limits

#45 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,095 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:22 PM

It'd be nice to see Downey up for the 25th game. Too bad he wont be.

Hopefully Mitchell or Bieksa knocks the s*** of him tonight.

#NOMOREKINDL

#46 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE (Jedi @ January 20, 2009 - 03:08AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
he must have something to offer that SJ wants.

The ability to put someone's face through the bench and act like it's no big deal. They're clearly missing that last ingredient for a Cup run.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#47 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:57 PM

Two (among many) things still stick with me about "the cross-check":
1) Steve Yzerman came from minor back surgery before the end of the season in 1995-96. After the Club was eliminated, he got the players together and told them if they really want to win the Cup, they were going to have to be in the best physical shape of their lives for both the regular season and the playoffs. He told them that then Athletic Therapist John Wharton had worked out a plan for rehabilitation of his injury and that Wharton had worked out a plan for the entire Club to follow before the start of the next season. They followed the plan and in the 1996-97 season, the Club had an unheard of total of Man Games Lost of 104 and
2) In "The Payback" game, the Denver "Post" had a lot of quotes from Mike Keane, then with Colorado. The paper must have thought that this was the right way to put the proper "spin" on the game. He called Detroit "gutless" for waiting until a "meaningless game at home" to show how tough they were and "we'll see how tough they are in the playoffs". Memories were kept of this article by both the players and the fans and Colorado lost the Conference Final in 1996-97 in six games.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#48 BeeRYCE

BeeRYCE

Where are the f'n twinkies?!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:28 AM

You know what, screw it... I hate the guy, but deep down inside this comeback made me respect him. I still hate him, but respect is there. It's been 6 years... He's 43... I'm watching this game and he actually has a presence. I mean he's accomplishing hits, keeping up with plays, and all that. Don't be too shocked if he wins Masterton.

#49 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE (BeeRYCE @ January 21, 2009 - 12:28AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know what, screw it... I hate the guy, but deep down inside this comeback made me respect him. I still hate him, but respect is there. It's been 6 years... He's 43... I'm watching this game and he actually has a presence. I mean he's accomplishing hits, keeping up with plays, and all that. Don't be too shocked if he wins Masterton.

It'll come down to him and Steve Sullivan.

#50 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:11 AM

QUOTE (MacK_Attack @ January 21, 2009 - 12:54AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It'll come down to him and Steve Sullivan.

If Lemieux beats out Steve Sullivan for the Masterton, I might write a letter to the NHL objecting to it. One player came out of voluntary retirement when healthy and the other player came back from a serious, repeated, career-ending injury. There's not even a debate there in my mind. Sullivan would win in pretty much every year in the past decade plus, thinking about recent winners. Including Yzerman, who won it for a similar reason that was much less severe.

Lemieux winning it this year would be like McCarty winning it last year. A player made a comeback to be a depth player at the end of the season. While that might win in some years, it's not the best reason in the particular year, as last year Jason Blake played in all 82 regular season games despite being diagnosed with chronic myelogenous leukemia. Steve Sullivan suffered what was thought to be a career-ending back injury, but after having multiple surgeries and off-ice rehabilitation Sullivan is returning to the ice, and the Predators hope he is the scorer he once was for them. One major difference? Sullivan is returning to the same team he played for when he was injured, while Lemieux retired and then found whatever team would take him for his purposes. That further pushes it to Sullivan, as Lemieux hunted around the league for a contract while Sullivan still continued to serve his duty as a leader on his team even though he hadn't played in years.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#51 spyder

spyder

Rookie

• Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:40 AM

Polish up the Comerica sign baby....

#52 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (F.Michael @ January 20, 2009 - 03:37PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lemieux got the nickname "turtle" for a reason...Did McCarty jump Lemieux? Yes...Would've Lemieux accepted McCarty's invite to drop the mitts? No.

I personally have nothing against what McCarty did, nor did the league at that time.

He may or may not have - heck, he agreed to fight Chris Simon who was a hell of a lot tougher than Darren McCarty ever was. He also agreed to fight Mac the following year and embarassed the so-called "tough" McCarty by hanging with him pretty well. He didn't win the fair fight, but he did far better than a skilled guy should have been able to against an enforcer.

It always bothered me a little bit that Kris Draper had so little respect for himself that he never once went after Claude himself. I can see why Draper might have resorted to cheapshotting Claude in return, but I don't get why Mac felt like he had to - unless (as the results of their later fight suggests) he didn't think he would be able to dominate Claude in a fair fight, so he had to resort to goonery in order to win.
"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don't have him, we get run. We don't have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It's just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."