• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
syntax

Gustav Nyquist

Rate this topic

I have the Maine Black Bears website in my Favorites and I am constantly looking at what this young man is doing and from what I can gather I really think that the wings have another GEM in this fellow. He now has 20 points in 23 games and leads the team.

From Prospect Camp 2009:

"In all honesty, it's Cayer and Nyquist, who played for Clarkson and the University of Maine, respectively, and Samuelsson, who played for Timra IK of the Swedish Eliteserien, who have made the most physical progress. They can fade into the background during skill drills, but they have solidified their all-round games, and they no longer bounce off their opponents when shoved during puck battles.

Again, Jesper Samuelsson, Gustav Nyquist, and Julien Cayer look like different players than the ones who showed up last year. Samuelsson's smallish frame belies his zip and tenacity on the puck, Nyquist occasionally displays goal-scorer's hands, and Cayer serves as a big, defensively-responsible forward who exhibits a balanced game."

( http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009/07/re...p_09_day_1.html )

Great stuff, and all three needed it. Nyquist could be an excellent player and with added strength he should step up again this year. Not much has been said about Samuelsson, at all, so this can only be good. And Julian Cayer I have high hopes for as a big, solid 3rd/4th line forward who can chip in with the occasional offence.

a negative and positive start to the new college season:

negative: after 3 games Maine is 0-3

positive: gustav is 3-2 for 5 points and leading the team in scoring.

Edited by 11iscoming

http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/126454.html

Nyquist looks forward to Olympic-sized rinks

By Larry Mahoney

BDN Staff

ORONO, Maine — Gustav Nyquist was a ray of light in an otherwise gloomy season for the University of Maine hockey team last season.

He led Hockey East freshmen with 13 goals and he also had 19 assists in 38 games. He was the first freshman to lead the Bears in scoring since a young man from North Vancouver, British Columbia, arrived on the scene at the outset of the 1992-93 season: Hobey Baker Award winner Paul Kariya.

After Nyquist was held scoreless in the season-opening 4-1 loss at Union College, the 2008-2009 Hockey East All-Rookie Team selection has racked up four goals and two assists in the last three games and had the game-winner in the 5-3 victory over Michigan State Saturday night.

Nyquist and his mates open Hockey East play this weekend when they visit Massachusetts in Amherst on Friday night and New Hampshire on Saturday evening.

“They should be two exciting games,†said Nyquist, a right winger who enjoys the wider Olympic-size ice sheets he will be playing on this weekend.

Olympic-sized ice sheets are the norm in Sweden.

“I’m used to the smaller rinks now but the Olympic sheets are a lot of fun to play on,†said the Malmo, Sweden, native. “You have a lot more room to make moves on. There’s more room behind the net so you can make plays. And you can use your points [defensemen] more. You can also have some different looks on the power play.â€

Nyquist said it will be important for the Bears to play “between the [faceoff] dots†so they don’t get running around out of position.

Nyquist is looking to have an even more productive year this season and feels he is a better player thanks to his familiarity with the opponents and the rinks and his diligent summer training program.

“I’ve got more muscle weight. I want to be able to shake defenders off and beat them wide instead of having to dangle the puck between the skates [and then try to go around them],†said Nyquist. “I want to be able to push them away with one hand and keep the other hand on my stick.

“I’m a little faster this year because I’ve improved my leg strength. And my shot is better. I’ve worked on that a lot, too,†he added.

He intends to shoot the puck more after averaging a little more than three shots a game last season.

“I didn’t shoot enough last year. I want to improve on that. There are a couple guys on the team, including me, that should have at least five shots on goal per game. In order to have a better chance to score, we need to shoot more,†he said.

Sophomore left wing and linemate Brian Flynn said Nyquist has a lot more confidence this season.

“He has a great shot and, hopefully, after scoring that goal [game-winner] against Michigan State, it will give him even more confidence to keep on shooting,†Flynn said.

Nyquist will be a marked man, as he was last year, because opponents are aware of his prowess.

“He’s really good. I like him a lot,†said MSU coach Rick Comley. “He is a highly skilled player who plays hard and plays with passion. He’s dangerous at all times.â€

UMass coach Don Cahoon called him a “great player.

“He has great hockey sense and vision. He also plays with grit and competitiveness. He has the ability to make a play and put the puck away.â€

Great article, glowing reviews. He seems like a tremendous prospect, he's got the attributes that will make him a possible 3rd/4th liner ala Maltby but I think he's got some real good offensive, top 6 potential. I've been keeping a real close eye on his progress for a while now.

Just got back from the Florida College Classic. Maine won the tourny beating #3 Colorado College. Nyquist made the all tournament team with 1g and 4a. He looked great! He was all over the puck. Played great defensively too. He backchecked hard and had some good takeaways. Made some great passes that resulted in assists.

Ohh forgot... He now has 30 pts in 19gp. That puts him tied for 1st in the nation in pts.

Edited by zata20

Just got back from the Florida College Classic. Maine won the tourny beating #3 Colorado College. Nyquist made the all tournament team with 1g and 4a. He looked great! He was all over the puck. Played great defensively too. He backchecked hard and had some good takeaways. Made some great passes that resulted in assists.

Ohh forgot... He now has 30 pts in 19gp. That puts him tied for 1st in the nation in pts.

Awesome. Sounds like he could go far.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_dadd...?urn=nhl,224515

2) Do you think Gustav Nyquist is the best player in Hockey East? (Admission: I sure do.)

What sets Nyquist apart from other players is the sense and depth perception he has for the ice, his decision-making with and away from the puck and the chemistry he has with his linemates, House and Brian Flynn. Splitting up that line at the start of the season was done by default (House injured his knee two days before the start of the season and missed the first four games) and also by design but the best thing Maine's coaching staff did earlier this season was reunite Flynn, Nyquist and House just before Thanksgiving. There's no way to replicate the value of that line to Maine.

2 goals, 2 assists, +3, NCAA leading scorer.

We've got a gem here.

I might as well say it. It's too early for him to move on from college to the AHL. He still needs to add a lot of strength, which isn't just putting on weight and spending a lot of time in the weight room. It's also about learning to do the things that you do well with all that added weight.

For example, Jan Mursak really struggled to play after putting on so much weight because he didn't know how to handle it. Gus still needs that time to grow into his body and play his game.

Yes and no, he could do with a few more pounds, but there have been skilled guys make the grade without bulking up. Pat Kane is one example. If Gustav comes in and does the same I won't be worrying about the lack of size/weight.

Yes and no, he could do with a few more pounds, but there have been skilled guys make the grade without bulking up. Pat Kane is one example. If Gustav comes in and does the same I won't be worrying about the lack of size/weight.

That's too much of a comparison don't you think? Kane is a franchise winger who the scouts dubbed as a hockey prodigy. Gus is a fourth round draft pick who we just hope finds a way to make it to the NHL.

That's too much of a comparison don't you think? Kane is a franchise winger who the scouts dubbed as a hockey prodigy. Gus is a fourth round draft pick who we just hope finds a way to make it to the NHL.

The comparison was the size and weight issue, not the skill level.Although at prsent he is not on Kane's level he has had 2 good seasons so far in the NCAA. I feel Gus is going to be another late round gem that the Wings scouting have found. Fingers crossed .

The comparison was the size and weight issue, not the skill level.Although at prsent he is not on Kane's level he has had 2 good seasons so far in the NCAA. I feel Gus is going to be another late round gem that the Wings scouting have found. Fingers crossed .

Arguably the best player in college hockey right now. Yes, he will be in the NHL.

This is another kid that I am really high on at the moment. Both he and Tatar seem to be set to be great players for us in the top-6 and both appear to be absolute steals, given where they were drafted. I can't wait to see both of them get bigger and stronger and break into the Wings lineup in a couple of years.

His numbers are just staggering last season, I just hope he can back that up. Not saying that it didn't happen last season, but you know he's going to receive a lot of attention from opposition defences this season. I'd say one more season in the NCAA, one in GR, and then a Wing in 2012/13. :thumbup: