• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Nev

Who is actually tradeable on this Roster?

Rate this topic

Just a heads up that Pat Verbeek is scouting the Leafs/Hurricanes game tonight.

Hmm. Its not going to be anyone on the Canes, since Illitch doesn't do business with Karmanos. The only guys I could see are Moore or Mayers. Even though Mayers has another year on the contract, Holland has liked him for a few years now. I guess it could be Antropov, but we don't need him and he'd probably be expensive. I just remember there being rumors about the Wings having interest in Antropov.

I would be surprised if anyone was traded, I am sure that the team wants to go into the playoffs with the same players that was so successful from last year. Once the playoffs start they can put Helm back on the fourth line and sit either maltby or kopecky.

Kronwall is a good defenseman, he just needs to get back to the basics and learn to communicate better with his partner Stuart. I don't know what happened to the great chemistry that they had last year, but hopefully they can get it back.

Even if Lidstrom did not have a no trade clause, why would anyone want to trade the Captain of the team who is loved and respected by all? That would not go over very well with the team or the fans. And it certainly would send a wrong message to anyone who thought about playing for the Red Wings.

I would be surprised if anyone was traded, I am sure that the team wants to go into the playoffs with the same players that was so successful from last year. Once the playoffs start they can put Helm back on the fourth line and sit either maltby or kopecky.

Just because this team won last year, doesn't mean its going to come up with an identical performance. There are some issues with this team that can be addressed. No reason to take the risk of things "sorting themselves out" when you can make a beneficial move. Even if it means making a Jamie Rivers - Cory Cross type of exchange, something will be done.

Just because this team won last year, doesn't mean its going to come up with an identical performance. There are some issues with this team that can be addressed. No reason to take the risk of things "sorting themselves out" when you can make a beneficial move. Even if it means making a Jamie Rivers - Cory Cross type of exchange, something will be done.

One move that might be beneficial is more of a Calder/Williams move. Trade a guy with years left for a guy that's expiring. Say Filppula for Nik Antropov and a pick. Won't hurt us for the one-year window, but frees up $3M/yr for the next 4 years.

A Neil/Mayers trade would be great, also like I said before even if people don't fetch much in return we are just trying to clear cap and get some late picks. Lebda for a 4th, Kopecky for a 5th, Malts for a 4th, Meech for a 5th. Something like that I mean all we are trying to do is free up cap and maybe be able to bring someone in. I would love to get Neil but at what cost I'm not giving up anyone on the 3rd other then Flip; either because I can't NTC: Cleary, or because they are worth there money Sammy.

One move that might be beneficial is more of a Calder/Williams move. Trade a guy with years left for a guy that's expiring. Say Filppula for Nik Antropov and a pick. Won't hurt us for the one-year window, but frees up $3M/yr for the next 4 years.

That thought actually crossed my mind, too. Antropov and Filppula play such a similar game that it wouldn't be any loss - in fact, with Antropov being half a foot taller and the more productive guy, it would be a bonus for the playoffs. On top of that, it provides somewhat of a "cover your ass" measure for Holland. If Holland knows Franzen is intent on going to free agency prior to July 1st, he can go after Antropov, likely the cheaper option.

A Neil/Mayers trade would be great, also like I said before even if people don't fetch much in return we are just trying to clear cap and get some late picks. Lebda for a 4th, Kopecky for a 5th, Malts for a 4th, Meech for a 5th. Something like that I mean all we are trying to do is free up cap and maybe be able to bring someone in. I would love to get Neil but at what cost I'm not giving up anyone on the 3rd other then Flip; either because I can't NTC: Cleary, or because they are worth there money Sammy.

I don't think Maltby, Meech or Kopecky get traded. I could see Maltby and Kopecky being scratched, but they wont get traded. Meech makes less than 500k and is versatile while being more than adequate at each position. Maltby is staying on because of the loyalty factor and Kopecky stays so Marian is happy.

Trading Lebda to clear some space makes a lot of sense, though. So does adding Neil, although I've heard from Sens fans that theres a good chance he'll be re-signed. Then again, it might just be that they're running their mouths. At any rate, I wouldn't be surprised if Ottawa took a Lebda for Neil swap. Lebda is a decent depth guy and a good puck-moving Dman. They're short on those, and Lebda is signed for a year or two more at a non-factor cap hit.

Guest DetroitBoy313

I'm wondering if the fans of the SJ Sharks were talking about trading away any of their players after they lost to Detroit 6-0?? I swear to God if the Wings win that SJ game this thread doesn't even exist.I think we're over reacting with even talking about trading away some of our players.Look man every team in the NHL wants to be pin point perfect in EVERY position but that's not going to happen.We're still top 3 team in the league.Don't you think teams like Ottawa,Toronto,Tampa,New York (Islanders) St. Louis,Atlanta etc would love to be in our position?? Please man,there should be no need for any trades,our boys just need to toughen the f*** up and go out there and play some hockey.I love this team to death but if we just don't have the mojo to go all the way this year than so be it.We're fine and some of you need a drink.

I'm wondering if the fans of the SJ Sharks were talking about trading away any of their players after they lost to Detroit 6-0?? I swear to God if the Wings win that SJ game this thread doesn't even exist.I think we're over reacting with even talking about trading away some of our players.Look man every team in the NHL wants to be pin point perfect in EVERY position but that's not going to happen.We're still top 3 team in the league.Don't you think teams like Ottawa,Toronto,Tampa,New York (Islanders) St. Louis,Atlanta etc would love to be in our position?? Please man,there should be no need for any trades,our boys just need to toughen the f*** up and go out there and play some hockey.I love this team to death but if we just don't have the mojo to go all the way this year than so be it.We're fine and some of you need a drink.

What are you ranting about? Trade threads come up all year round. This isn't because the Sharks beat us - its because the Red Wings are a franchise that perrenially strengthens their roster at the deadline in some way, shape, or form. This is just another place to discuss issues that have been at hand all year round. Can we get better defensively? Can we strengthen our 4th line? Can we adjust our roster so as to alleviate some of the cap pressure facing us next season?

I don't think Maltby, Meech or Kopecky get traded. I could see Maltby and Kopecky being scratched, but they wont get traded. Meech makes less than 500k and is versatile while being more than adequate at each position. Maltby is staying on because of the loyalty factor and Kopecky stays so Marian is happy.

Trading Lebda to clear some space makes a lot of sense, though. So does adding Neil, although I've heard from Sens fans that theres a good chance he'll be re-signed. Then again, it might just be that they're running their mouths. At any rate, I wouldn't be surprised if Ottawa took a Lebda for Neil swap. Lebda is a decent depth guy and a good puck-moving Dman. They're short on those, and Lebda is signed for a year or two more at a non-factor cap hit.

Problem is just trading Lebda wouldn't help the cap issue. I also agree that the other 3 are highly unlikely to I'm just saying beyond some very gritty older player who needs a cup(drake) or a tough guy who can play(Neil) I just want to make some cap relief early and attempt to get a few draft picks out of the deal. Even if we just traded Lebda for a 4th to somebody it would be worth it to me.

I really want Neil here and only way besides Lebda and a decent pick going their way because I assume they are looking to rebuild, would be doing a Sammy for Neil trade; and to be honest that's just not worth it for us. As much as people hate on Sammy he and Ian Laperriers are the type of players every team should mold role players around.

Problem is just trading Lebda wouldn't help the cap issue. I also agree that the other 3 are highly unlikely to I'm just saying beyond some very gritty older player who needs a cup(drake) or a tough guy who can play(Neil) I just want to make some cap relief early and attempt to get a few draft picks out of the deal. Even if we just traded Lebda for a 4th to somebody it would be worth it to me.

I really want Neil here and only way besides Lebda and a decent pick going their way because I assume they are looking to rebuild, would be doing a Sammy for Neil trade; and to be honest that's just not worth it for us. As much as people hate on Sammy he and Ian Laperriers are the type of players every team should mold role players around.

Trading Lebda DOES help the cap issue. According to Matt, the Wings can afford to add a player's non-prorated salary of 1.7M without having to trade anything. Consider that the Wings currently have about 400M in cap space as it stands, and having various LTIR players and not calling anyone up, they've bankrolled further salary (literally pennies, but it adds up). Not a lot, but enough to add Neil's 1.1M salary without trading anyone and definitely enough after Lebda's salary is cleared off the books.

Edit: Just running some numbers, if the Wings added Neil around March 1st, his pro-rated salary would be about 225k. Meaning, adding Neil would only add 225k to the overall cap number. Lebda would clear about 125k. The overall addition of Neil, after trading Lebda, would literally only be adding about 100k in salary overall.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

I'm thinking anything to shake up/beef up the fourth line. Maybe it's just me but I don't see the "grime" that used to be there. I know the whole "Fourth line is a mess" thing has been touched on here, but I'd like to see someone shaking in there skates when the fourth line hits the ice.

Am I wrong? Maybe. I thought I was wrong once before...but it turned out that I was mistaken.

Trading Lebda DOES help the cap issue. According to Matt, the Wings can afford to add a player's non-prorated salary of 1.7M without having to trade anything. Consider that the Wings currently have about 400M in cap space as it stands, and having various LTIR players and not calling anyone up, they've bankrolled further salary (literally pennies, but it adds up). Not a lot, but enough to add Neil's 1.1M salary without trading anyone and definitely enough after Lebda's salary is cleared off the books.

Interesting what do you think it would take to get the deal done? Lebda and a 3rd for Neil and a 5th maybe?

Or Lebda and a 2nd for Neil and a 3rd?

I never get why people seem to think that teams would be open to trading players like Chris Neil for other team's garbage players like Lebda and a low draft pick. There's a reason fans from every team constantly bring up picking up Neil, and there's also a reason that the Senators haven't let it happen yet.

Before they go, you should just go out and disappear. How does this site let this kind of retard to be here?

haha Agreed, but I like to elaborate a bit more. Rafalski is currently 4th in the league in defense scoring, 4 more points then Lidstrom. Flipulla, yes, he is over-paid and is 3 million could be put to much better uses. Stuart and Kronwall aren't having a great year so far, but how could you possibly get two better D-men for their combined 6 million, seeing how hugely important they were last year in the play-offs.

Flipulla is the only person the Wings could let go, and replace with a better forward. Maltby, Ozzy and Draper although not playing well at all can't be traded, it would be a huge insult to them. Their all basically career red Wings. I would like to see all 3 retire after this season to let 3 rookies into the roster for next season. Can a player retire while under contract, and not be a cap hit?

I never get why people seem to think that teams would be open to trading players like Chris Neil for other team's garbage players like Lebda and a low draft pick. There's a reason fans from every team constantly bring up picking up Neil, and there's also a reason that the Senators haven't let it happen yet.

Well the Sens should be in full rebuild mode, and if you look at it objectively you would see they are getting a young puck moving dman from a team that produces nothing but great defensive players. They can compare the idea to how Quincy plays with min. in LA and what Lebda would do for them, so he is a decent 4/5 guy on the team and they get a midlevel pick. A 3rd rounder isn't trash anymore, it could possibly be traded with another 3rd for a late 1st. On top of that Neil could just end up being a rental for us and go back to the Sens during the summer. Essentially they would have a young puck moving dman who has some decent upside a decent pick and will have lost nothing with Neil possibly coming back. Because if they are smart they are sellers this draft. The Wings clear cap space for the future get an even later round pick and get the grit needed for the playoff run, it doesn't seem illogical at all.

Lastly it sets the tone for future good faith trades, when GM's do things like this it only can help for future trade situations.

Edited by ben_usmc

I would say Chris Neil (1.2 per year) or Jamal Mayers or both would be good in Red Wings uniiform. Personally I prefer Neil. So why not to make something like Meech or Lebda + Kopecky for Neil? Ottawa really needs some puck moving defenceman, Kopecky is there just to make cap room (not to mention that half of players on Ottawa roster is worse than Kopecky) and we need some grit. This trade would be good for both teams.

Our fourth line in play-offs would look like Neil - Helm - Draper...

Edited by RusDRW

I would say Chris Neil (1.2 per year) or Jamal Mayers or both would be good in Red Wings uniiform. Personally I prefer Neil. So why not to make something like Meech or Lebda + Kopecky for Neil? Ottawa really needs some puck moving defenceman, Kopecky is there just to make cap room (not to mention that half of players on Ottawa roster is worse than Kopecky) and we need some grit. This trade would be good for both teams.

Our fourth line in play-offs would look like Neil - Helm - Draper...

I really like the idea of Chris Neil in a Red Wing uniform and the lost of Lebda and Kopecky for him and late round pick for us. I could see Chris Neil sticking with the Wings if this was to happen. I think that the Wings really will only be looking for some grit come playoff time although if they traded Flip it could free up money for Franzen and Hudler to be signed and maybe Hossa if we get rid of Sammy also.

I actually would love to see Filppula traded as he's holding Franzen's contract, IMO. He's way overpaid for his production. Leino, Helm, Abdelkader, etc. can slide into his slot on the roster for much cheaper and allow us to keep Franzen.

I also would love to see us pick up Neil, but all this talk of Ledba or Kopecky for Neil is pie-in-the sky.

Ottawa are going to be sellers at the deadline - and a veteran, gritty forward like Neil is going to be one of their hottest tickets. What do Ottawa need in return? Not AHLers like Kopecky or 6/7 Dmen like Lebda. They need scoring depth and puck-moving defenceman.

I hate to say it, but it would have to be Hudler + conditional for Neil + conditional, with the conditional picks dependant upon resignings. Lets face it, Huds is gone in the summer anyway.

Also don't forget we don't have a 2nd round pick this summer (Stuart trade), would Kenny give up a 3rd and go two rounds without a pick? Although we may well get compensation for Hudler, depending on how much he signs for with someone else.

Edited by Nev

^ I'd bet any amount of money Hudler stays. It would be nice to get something for one of these big free agents though.

In a way, yeah, but really I'd rather take my chances with the team we have since it's the same as last years minus Drake/Hasek and plus HOSSA!!

We are so ******* spoiled here in Hockeytown lol :rolleyes:

Hudler has one of the quickest releases in the game and that is what makes him so good around the net. If you are ever at a game just watch Hudler at the end of the pregame skate stay back and fire countless pucks into the net from an area just off to the side of the net. I have watched him everytime he comes to Edmonton and he is always doing this and the guy is sniper from in close. He is a player that can not be let go as he has always been a high acheiver in every league that he plays in. He also told Detroit that he would prove all the other teams wrong for letting him slip to where Detroit got him in the draft and that he was happy to be a wing. I also remember in the Edmonton Journal that one of the sportwriters said that rich get richer when Detroit got Hudler at the draft. As you can tell I am a huge Hudler Fan.