• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
NEpats1028

Goalie Issues...

Rate this topic

Oh man, come on. Yes, Ozzy was mainly to blame for San Jose but you're nuts if you blame this one on Conks.

Giving up 6 goals in each game is just bad not matter who is in net. Trying to say one 6 GAA game the goaltender was better than the other 6 GAA game is ludicrous. Neither goalie is playing great AND our defense is slacking. Hopefully the week off and the end of a long west coast road trip on which the Wings always struggle will help....

11 goals + 1 EN in the past 2 games against teams that we could likely face in the playoffs?? Kinda scary....

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt because its nearing the end of a road trip and the all-star break is here, and the D is banged up... But can we really get by with Ozzie and Conks? Ozzie's GAA is through the roof and I have to wonder how his groin is holding up. Ty has his good nights but clearly he can have bad ones too. Bad games just can't be tolerated in the playoffs though...

Do I see Nick Backstrom in the future??

Comments? Thoughts?

The D is infinitely more worrisome to me right now. Osgood will be good enough and even Conklin might be good enough in the playoffs if the D's playing well. But if the D plays like this, we're screwed no matter who's in net.

11 goals + 1 EN in the past 2 games against teams that we could likely face in the playoffs?? Kinda scary....

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt because its nearing the end of a road trip and the all-star break is here, and the D is banged up... But can we really get by with Ozzie and Conks? Ozzie's GAA is through the roof and I have to wonder how his groin is holding up. Ty has his good nights but clearly he can have bad ones too. Bad games just can't be tolerated in the playoffs though...

Comments? Thoughts?

This is true of EVERY goalie who has played the game. Conks made some big saves tonight, our PK killed us on the road again, and again too many breakaways. Goaltending hasn't been great either, but for f***'s sake, do we have to start one of these after every s***ty game? Really, who did look good out there tonight?

Comments? Thoughts?

Our goalie situation isn't as bad as it looks. Our bigger issue at the moment is our road penalty killing, and our D's tendency to give up the puck in our own zone. I think at the end of the year, we'll have the same goaltending duo that you see out there now, and with any luck, Ozzie will be back to his old self. You really can't get on Conklin...the guy's been stellar, and nobody's perfect. The defense, however, needs to step it up a bit and get themselves back to the level they played at last year.

Overall...we're still 31-9-6...an awesome record. These hiccups will happen, and a 6-game road trip is where they're most likely to occur.

This is true of EVERY goalie who has played the game. Conks made some big saves tonight, our PK killed us on the road again, and again too many breakaways. Goaltending hasn't been great either, but for f***'s sake, do we have to start one of these after every s***ty game? Really, who did look good out there tonight?

Pavel Datsyuk looked good out there tonight.

Hank Zetterberg did not (-4).

Pavel Datsyuk looked good out there tonight.

Hank Zetterberg did not (-4).

I'll agree with that, but when only one guy shows up to play it's hard to blame the goaltender, no matter how many pucks get by him.

I'll agree with that, but when only one guy shows up to play it's hard to blame the goaltender, no matter how many pucks get by him.

Hell, if the PK crew decided to show up for even 10 mins tonight I think we might have squeeked by.

The horrible, horrible, horrible PK on the road will surely be the source of many bag-skates over the next week.

Oh, and I'm glad Zetterberg hasn't looked very sharp lately- it makes contract negotiations slightly more favourable for the Wings and just might help a little bit to keep the team together.

Osgood would be getting torn apart on this forum if it had been him playing in that game with the same result.

Just sayin'.

Our goalie issues are non-issues, everything will be great in a month or two and we're all going to sing happy songs by the campfire.

You know, I'll just be frank and say the obvious despite the fact that it won't be heard:

You people obsessing over goaltending need to get real and grow up.

Seriously.

All you do is prove how little you know about this game and lower the general IQ of the board.

Just stop.

If all you can come up with is bashing the goalies...

Just stop.

Comments? Thoughts?

Why the hell does everyone talk about Backstrom?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: There are only a handful of reliable, excellent year-in, year-out goalies in the league: Brodeur, Luongo, and Kiprussoff. Others are streaky, good, etc, but always flame out relatively early.

Whether or not we need a change in goal is irrelevant. There is simply nobody better to replace them with. Therefore, the focus has to be on defense. Someone has to be held accountable. Stuart rejuvinated the Wings when he arrived, and I'm sure another deadline defensive acquisition to replace Lebda, or hell, even Lilja (even though he's having a great year overall) would do wonders right now if the new player could sync up well with someone like Stuart and Kronner did last year.

Until he disapeared. Datsyuk's absence was definitely a factor in the terrible play in the third.

Datsyuk is not the problem. He did his job, 2 great passes, leading to 2 goals, 2 A's and a +/- of 0. How much can one man do? He did his job. Where was Zetterberg getting us back in this game? -4. Where was Hossa getting us back in this game? -3, and a brutal give away. It can't be Datsyuk every night, these other two "superstars" played like Tampa Bay 4th liners tonight. Datsyuk deserves some absent periods. At least his line didn't give away any goals tonight. That says it all right their.

Why the hell does everyone talk about Backstrom?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: There are only a handful of reliable, excellent year-in, year-out goalies in the league: Brodeur, Luongo, and Kiprussoff. Others are streaky, good, etc, but always flame out relatively early.

Whether or not we need a change in goal is irrelevant. There is simply nobody better to replace them with. Therefore, the focus has to be on defense. Someone has to be held accountable. Stuart rejuvinated the Wings when he arrived, and I'm sure another deadline defensive acquisition to replace Lebda, or hell, even Lilja (even though he's having a great year overall) would do wonders right now if the new player could sync up well with someone like Stuart and Kronner did last year.

this game cant be blamed on conks... no way no how... id give a sliver of credit to the reffing or lack there of... ***cough couch bryzgolov's bs on holmer 3x in the game not being called cough cough*** and the crap lower end d pairings... funny i called into the ticket tonight to make a comment about the lower d pairing and ironically they scratch lebda who i was talking about on the radio...

^ This.

Short of giving up WAY too much in return for one of the aforementioned "year in & year out" guys, there's just no one who is worth that big of a trade. Plus, teams know that the Wings goaltending has been questionable as of late. Any team that has a goalie worth trading for is going to ask an arm and a leg for him.

The defensive core is unchanged from last year, and (before you say it) you can try to blame it on Brad McCrimmon as much as you want, but the bottom line is that the motivation is just... not... there...

I do not post much but our D does concern me, hard to complain when that is first back to back losses of the year but they could have scored 10 tonight. Also, why do so many crappy players that have not scored in weeks or months score on us, not a coincidence after awhile and of course the inability to kill a penalty on the road is no longer just a coincidence and most importantly how is Pavel? Think the break comes at a perfect time.

Edited by randomwingsfan

this game cant be blamed on conks... no way no how... id give a sliver of credit to the reffing or lack there of... ***cough couch bryzgolov's bs on holmer 3x in the game not being called cough cough*** and the crap lower end d pairings... funny i called into the ticket tonight to make a comment about the lower d pairing and ironically they scratch lebda who i was talking about on the radio...

Hell, the upper defensive parings were s***ty tonight too. Rafalski looked awful in the defensive zone and Lidstrom didn't do much either, although Lidstrom did do a nice job on those two goals.

Datsyuk is not the problem. He did his job, 2 great passes, leading to 2 goals, 2 A's and a +/- of 0. How much can one man do? He did his job. Where was Zetterberg getting us back in this game? -4. Where was Hossa getting us back in this game? -3, and a brutal give away. It can't be Datsyuk every night, these other two "superstars" played like Tampa Bay 4th liners tonight. Datsyuk deserves some absent periods. At least his line didn't give away any goals tonight. That says it all right their.

Dude- he literally disappeared in the third. That's what I said. He was gone to the locker room from the fifth minute in the third until the moopy Wings came back looking like Charlie Brown's bummed friends.

Edit: to avoid another reply to me to argue a point I already made: Datsyuk's play carried us in the first two. When he got hurt it exposed the sloppy efforts of some of our other players.

Edited by Drake_Marcus

Hell, the upper defensive parings were s***ty tonight too. Rafalski looked awful in the defensive zone and Lidstrom didn't do much either, although Lidstrom did do a nice job on those two goals.

Huh? Ralfi looked fine tonight. He had some great defensive plays including a critical blocked shot. He wasn't outstanding, but he certainly wasn't awful.