• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
T.Low

Datsyuk or Fedorov

Rate this topic

I'm working on building a machine that will let me travel through time. I call it a "Time Machine". I'll go find Fedorov, in his prime of course, and bring the two together on one Red Wings team. We will be unstoppable! All the trophies and awards will go to Detroit, except for whatever the weenies in the east get for making to the SCF. From there we shall take over NATO, and Cuba can be claimed as a republic of Canada (for tax purposes)...we'll call it Canuba! It'll be a wonderful place where our team can relax in the summers and during the All Star Break, and heal when they need to. From there, world domination is only a meager task. Not long after that, we will rename the universe to the Wingiverse where all sentient beings will, on a daily basis, pay homage to the Hockey Gods in Motown.

By the way, does anybody have a 21.1 jigawatt flux capacitor laying around. I'll give you $100 for it.

That's my plan!

Edited by Kevvie

i see datsyuk getting his number retired before federov does at the joe

If it weren't for Fedorov we wouldn't have won those Stanley Cups in the 90s. No Fedorov = No Russian Five. Remember when the only good player was Steve Yzerman? They never won s*** until Fedorov came. Not to mention they made it to the playoffs when Fedorov came.

Edited by Winged_Wheeler

Fedorov. Too much to say about this legend of a player. I wonder when his number will be retired at the Joe.

You'll be waiting a long time. I don't see it happening.

As for who I would take....Fedorov in an absolute landslide. While Dats is nothing to slouch at, Fedorov in his prime was the best *all-around* player in the world....by far.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
Not that I disagree, but When Feds put in the effort, he was all of the above.

ABSO-F-ING-LUTELY! :clap: Eva's the biggest Feds slappy ever. He conveniently avoids all talk about Fedorov not giving 100% all the time as if it either didn't happen or we should overlook it.

I would pick Datsyuk for the sole reason that he does everything Fedorov did except play the position of defenseman................but Datsyuk does it without being a prima donna or coming off like an arrogant cry baby b/c he isn't getting the most ice time or isn't getting the most power play time or has to be in somebody else's shadow.

Fedorov helped the players around him but he played with some of the greatest players ever.

Datsyuk IMO is better at being a teammate and better at making the guys around him look better.

Feds could score and setup plays, and I think he was a better natural goal scorer than Dats, but Dats is the best playmaker I have ever seen this side of Wayne Gretzky.

Datsyuk all day long b/c the talent is pretty much the same but the character and attitude go in favor of Datsyuk.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
If it weren't for Fedorov we wouldn't have won those Stanley Cups in the 90s. No Fedorov = No Russian Five. Remember when the only good player was Steve Yzerman? They never won s*** until Fedorov came. Not to mention they made it to the playoffs when Fedorov came.

Actually they never won anything until Shanahan came I believe. Feds was already there and they couldn't win anything if memory serves. It was the addition of Shanny that put them over the top.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
I'm working on building a machine that will let me travel through time. I call it a "Time Machine". I'll go find Fedorov, in his prime of course, and bring the two together on one Red Wings team. We will be unstoppable! All the trophies and awards will go to Detroit, except for whatever the weenies in the east get for making to the SCF. From there we shall take over NATO, and Cuba can be claimed as a republic of Canada (for tax purposes)...we'll call it Canuba! It'll be a wonderful place where our team can relax in the summers and during the All Star Break, and heal when they need to. From there, world domination is only a meager task. Not long after that, we will rename the universe to the Wingiverse where all sentient beings will, on a daily basis, pay homage to the Hockey Gods in Motown.

By the way, does anybody have a 21.1 jigawatt flux capacitor laying around. I'll give you $100 for it.

That's my plan!

The problem is Fedorov would have to play in Nick Lidstrom's shadow so we'll have to deal with the same issues of him giving 100% some of the time and not seeming particularly interested the rest of the time.

One great thing about Fedorov was that he was always amazing in the playoffs. I mean, Fedorov in his prime was great during the regular season but when the playoffs came, he stepped it up.

Datsyuk is amazing and he has definitely gotten better in the playoffs the last couple of years but time will tell if he becomes a big time playoff performer over the rest of his career.

The problem is Fedorov would have to play in Nick Lidstrom's shadow so we'll have to deal with the same issues of him giving 100% some of the time and not seeming particularly interested the rest of the time.

Well, I didn't say it was a flawless plan

If I needed a free agent for one or two years, and I could choose Datsyuk or Fedorov in their respective primes, the choice is Fedorov and it is a no brainer.

If I needed a player for ten years as the cornerstone of the team, I pick Datsyuk. Fedorov's prime will far surpass Datsyuk's, but Datsyuk (I believe) will remain an elite player for a longer period of time.

My how quickly we all forget that Datsyuk is no saint either. Did we all forget he actually signed a contract with a russian team during contract negotiations with Ken Holland?

Edited by egroen

Fedorov, and here is why:

Fedorov was the best player in the world at both ends of the ice in his prime. Datsyuk will never be able to say that. Datsyuk is an amazing player, but Fedorov was just ridiculous. He was the fastest player, had among the hardest and most accurate shots, was one of the best playmakers, was the best defensive player, was among the best on faceoffs. Fedorov in his prime was the best player in the world at whatever position you wanted to play him at.

I completely agree.

But as much as I love Feds (and I do- he was my first hockey hero) I have to fault him for his lack of 82 game effort. However, he was NEVER a slouch in the playoffs. His playoff numbers are simply amazing.

If Fedorov put as much effort into every game as Datsyuk he'd be up there in the top 10 scorers of all time (you know- where Stevie sits :D ).

So, if I had to pick one guy for 2 or 3 years of play in their prime? Fedorov. If I have to pick one guy to build a franchise around it'd have to be the more consistent of the two and the better leader- Datsyuk.

And for the record- I hope and pray that some day Fedorov has his number retired at the Joe... but it doesn't look terribly likely due to the wounds that were left during contract talks and his eventual departure.

Guest mindfly

Well the goalies weren't as good as they are now not that many had fully adopted to the butterfly style and big pads etc etc but in the same time you could hook and slash alot more... so it's hard, I'd die to see a Prime-Fedorov and Prime-Datsyuk playing at the same time, preferably on the same team as well ;)

Just asking...

Why did Fedorov NOT put up the numbers in Anaheim? He dropped right off the radar screen. His new coach reportedly called the Red Wings and asked "What do I got to do to get this guy to score?"

How old was he when he left Detroit?

What would happen to Datsyuk in a similar situation, God forbid, of going some where else?

ANd granted, the OP emphasized "Feds in his prime".

Datsyuk > Fedorov.

There were a lot of games where Sergei operated in a land run by FST: Fedorov Standard Time; he was just going through the motions. The comment about Datsyuk not hitting his prime yet is also true. Plus, I don't remember any announcer using the word "Fedorovian".

That's because:

1. Fedorov powered past guys leaving them in the dust while Datsyuk gets them all turned around and confused. (referring to the "Datsyukian Deke of course)

2. Ken Daniels wasn't here when Fedorov played or he would have found something about Fedorov's game to make up his own word about.

I'll take Fedorov, but for me it's a really close call. I just think Fedorov's all around game was slightly better that Datsyuk's.

Edited by Dano33

Eva is so anti-Datsyuk its insane. Every thread that praises Datsyuk, the very few that actually popup, he runs him down and gives a long argument about how he shouldn't have won his Selke.

This season and last will go down as two of the best for a Wings forward ever. Nearly 200 points, 2 lady byngs, more than likely two Selkes, a cup and the possibility of a second.

To answer the question of the thread, Fedorov was my favorite player until 2002, when you know who came into the league. Fedorov in 2002 was unbelievable but Datsyuk is better currently.

I think we'll see that the first ten years of Datsyuk will be better than any decade Fedorov played with the Wings.

Actually they never won anything until Shanahan came I believe. Feds was already there and they couldn't win anything if memory serves. It was the addition of Shanny that put them over the top.

Thanks for posting this, I was going to, but you beat me to it!!! I will give more credit to Bowman than I will Feds too!

Fedorov, because he had a rocket for a shot. Datsyuk wishes he could shoot the puck like that.

Otherwise, there's a lot of similarities to their game, and I'd say the rest was even.

Very true, if I had to pick it would be almost dead even, Dats personality is his edge, Feds ability to play D and shot to me put him over Dats, at this point in time. However I am looking at more than just on ice stuff so Dats consistency and team first attitude put him above Feds in my book.

Now Feds (IMO) will not make the hall nor will his number be retired by the wings.

Look at the numbers, I have spelled this out before, in order for Feds to make the Hall, this year and the next couple he would have to return to old form.

Compare his numbers to Yzerman or Shanny they are first ballot sure fire hall of famers.

Feds does not have 500 (477) goals, does not have 700 (684) assists, and only has 1161 points and is not a PPG player.

Compare those numbers to a player who is sure fire HOFer and came into the league at the same time and has already left the league.

Jaromir Jagr

The argument that he was one of the best players of his era is Eva's way of posting something no one can argue with, that is fortunately not used in voting into the HOF, and I say he wasn't even better than Jagr who played at the same time as him.

His definite slow down in production from leaving Det is the reason he is not HOFer. If he gets into the HOF it should have an * that says, he made it in because he played on the most dominant team in the era and Scotty Bowman screwed with his head until he actually played to his full potential every once and a little while!!

Why is Fedorov's ability to play D being brought up? Datsyuk has never been tested but its easy to assume that the reigning Selke winner, who is faster than Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, Stuart, Lilja and Chelios could play D on this team.

The only reason Fedorov ever played D was punishment from Bowman. He played for the Caps this season because their entire blue line was decimated with injuries. Datsyuk hits harder than any of our top six forwards, id imagine he could hold his own playing D. But, if he were moved back, our offense would be non-existent.

The real question should be, "Which player is more important to their teams"?

That's because:

1. Fedorov powered past guys leaving them in the dust while Datsyuk gets them all turned around and confused. (referring to the "Datsyukian Deke of course)

2. Ken Daniels wasn't here when Fedorov played or he would have found something about Fedorov's game to make up his own word about.

I'll take Fedorov, but for me it's a really close call. I just think Fedorov's all around game was slightly better that Datsyuk's.

Good post. Makes me think that:

Fedorov=Bo Jackson

Datsyuk=Barry Sanders

Daniels would have said that "he;s just been Fedorized!" or something, you're right.

So many ways you can spin this, but here is this idiot's opinon.

If it was a few years ago, Fedorov without question overall.

Now the gap is reducing obviously and Datsyuk is developing a pretty darn good all-around game that Fedorov pretty much had in his prime.

As quirky as Fedorov's personality might be/have been, rightly or wrongly, when he was on, he was one of the best in the league.

Fedorov was creative no doubt, but Datsyuk knocks him off regarding that, but Datsyuk pretty much schools everybody in that regard.

Who do you take? Datsyuk or Fedorov (in his prime).

If you (SK1) would have asked me two years ago I would have said hands down Sergei Fedorov because he was such an incredible all round player. His shot, his skating ability, his speed, his size and strength. Wasn't it Bowman who said that if the experiment with Feds as Dman would have been permanent he would have won the Norris? To me Feds=scoring

The thing about Datsyuk that I find most amazing is that he still is getting better, both at the things he already does unbelievably well, as well as the things he didn't used to do well at all, like hitting. What is left to be said about Pavel's forechecking and backchecking, and his patented lift the stick and steal. His passing skills, his legendary dekes. His shooting is up this year. He is amazing. Datsyuk=playmaking anywhere on the ice.

I guess for me, the fact that Fedorov has never been the same player since he left Detroit, for whatever reason, seems to be alittle bit telling. Hopefully, we'll never find out how Pavs does in a different uni.

At this point, I'm leaning toward Datsyuk.

Without getting into the whole arguement about how/why Feds left, what do you guys think? Dats or Feds?

MY CHOICE = DATSYUK

Here's my reason - Both of these players are highly talented hockey players in their prime, but one thing comes to mind for me.....ATTITUDE. Sergei always seemed to be lacking the positive attitude....great performer on the ice, but he seemed to take a lot of days 'off', where Pavel brings it every single night. He's all about team....I could never see Pav doing some of the things that Sergei pulled during his tenure with the Wings....ie; holdouts, etc.

no dont think i think hes not a good player but what i mean is he was good in detroit but what has he done after that, they could retire his number but you have to do great everywhere you play at least i think so anyway, eveer since he left detroit though he hasnt done much

Guest GordieSid&Ted
MY CHOICE = DATSYUK

Here's my reason - Both of these players are highly talented hockey players in their prime, but one thing comes to mind for me.....ATTITUDE. Sergei always seemed to be lacking the positive attitude....great performer on the ice, but he seemed to take a lot of days 'off', where Pavel brings it every single night. He's all about team....I could never see Pav doing some of the things that Sergei pulled during his tenure with the Wings....ie; holdouts, etc.

There's a very, VERY important point here that should not be lost or glossed over.

Part of Fedorov's legacy in Detroit fans minds will be that he didn't always play as well as he could have. That he was prone to slacking or not giving it his all every night. That s*** don't jive, especially for hockey players, especially for hockey players in a town like Detroit.

Datsyuk on the other hand. Has anyone ever accused Dats of taking a night off? Not that i've ever seen.

The prima donna, take it for granted attitude Fedorov showed at times is the main reason why I have a bone to pick with him. I don't like guys who don't leave it all out there every night. Dats does. Z does. Those guys give everything they have. Which is why they are better teammates and better players IMO. Maybe not as naturally gifted, but natural gifts alone don't make leaders nor do they make great hockey players.

Edited by GordieSid&Ted

Did someone just write that a Hart and Pearson winner with two Selkes, 3 Cups, 3 wins at the world championships, some of the best string of playoff performances in the past 20 years, and the highest scoring Russian of all time in the NHL is not going to make it into the Hockey Hall of Fame?

Seriously?

He has a much stronger case than Shanahan, who will also make it in.

Edited by egroen