• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GROwl

Thread on Leino

Rate this topic

So, I saw this General Discussion thread that Systemfel started earlier today...

"Leino leaving after this season? (Finnish link)

Google-translated text:

The greatest hope Detroit Red Wingsin NHL camp in September, traveled Ville Leino strongly considering a return to Europe this season after.

Hockey season has elapsed AHL-League, which Leino does not agree to continue.

"AHL as I no longer next season in any event, is playing. The league is now in my part, seen and experienced," said Leino Western Savo newspaper interview.

AHL-league Grand Rapids Griffinsin team unbridled long bussimatkoineen was Leino, of harsh experience.

- Not in this league can not really any good basic rhythms of life-sustaining. Such is simply not enough time or energy. AHL: There is enough time to even look for a wife.

Leinon of career options is twofold: to try to break into Detroit or with another NHL team's ranks, or to return to Europe.

The latter option seems at this stage, more likely, even though the NHL is still Leinon number one goal.

Detroit assembly, however, is rock-hard and the team now one of NHL's best, so the line-up is very rocky - without injuries, almost impossible at the moment.

- Severe rakohan the NHL through the space is, but try to keep high on the mind and hope for the best.

The European side Leinon alternative to Sweden, Russia - or the return Jokereihin.

- I think that there could be a demand for me for many of place, Leino evaluate the Western Savolle. "

The replies to that thread mainly focus on who from the Red Wings shouldn't be signed, or who could be traded, or who should retire next year to make some room for Leino and some of the other Griffins. Very complicated and not something easily resolved. What I'm thinking is that Ville can be made happier if we summarize the issue in simple terms:

Boy wants a Girl.

If he can get a girl, the long bus rides won't matter...not getting called up to Detroit won't matter...playing 80 games a season won't matter, etc.

Now, my own daughter is way too young to be considered a viable candidate. But between all the fans here in Grand Rapids, shouldn't we be able to put together a long stream of more appropriate girls in front of young Leino for him to select from? Think of the promo opportunity the Griffins could schedule to take of the issue.

:rolleyes:

What I'm thinking is that Ville can be made happier if we summarize the issue in simple terms:

Boy wants a Girl.

If he can get a girl, the long bus rides won't matter...not getting called up to Detroit won't matter...playing 80 games a season won't matter, etc.

Now, my own daughter is way too young to be considered a viable candidate. But between all the fans here in Grand Rapids, shouldn't we be able to put together a long stream of more appropriate girls in front of young Leino for him to select from? Think of the promo opportunity the Griffins could schedule to take of the issue.

:rolleyes:

That's one of the funniest things I've read on ANY hockey forum. :thumbup:

On a serious note on the matter, when I talked to Leino at the beginning of the year, he was OK with being a Griffin. He said (and I'm loosely quoting) that once you are "in" with the Wings, you are "in". And he had the option to start the year with Chi-town, and a few other teams that I can't remember, and picked Detroit for that reason.

He was only signed to a 1 year contract I believe. He knows that after this year he can go to whatever team he wants and play for their NHL club if Detroit says no. Honestly, if Detroit does say no, that might be a very large mistake on their part. There are players currently on the team that wouldn't deserve to be there over him, IMO.

Edit: The other thing, we already knew this was the situation. He was a 1 year in the AHL player. Then he'd pick his team. The only "new" thing is the wife line.

Edited by Coyote0106

The sad thing is that everything he said is absolutely true. Even if you can forget about the drive home in the blizzard from Rochester that took 20 hours, the long bus rides really stink in the AHL. Ville went from top scorer in the Finnish League to about number 30 in a league half way around the world from his family and friends. The season is long - rarely do the boys get a Friday or Saturday night off. If you already have a girl, you work around it. But its hard for them to meet the type of girls during the season they might consider eventually for a wife. And when they don't get the phone calls from Detroit (the reward for putting up with the downside) even when they see a Red Wing is injured or playing horribly, it is frustrating. I can see where you would constantly re-think your options. Patience is hard when you're in your 20's and you feel like you're giving up so much for the chance to move on to the next level.

Once this season is over the Wings will offer Ville a contract, no question. He is their

sort of player. Both parties knew the situation at the start of the year and hats off to

Leino for staying. He could have gone back to Finland before xmas if he wanted. I'm

sure he has had long chats with Flip and he also has has lengthy conversations with

Zetta, so he knows where he wants to be I'm sure. He's had a mid season slump, but

I expect him to put that behind him and kick on from here.

Ville Leino, RedWing 09-10!! odds on bet.

Once this season is over the Wings will offer Ville a contract, no question. He is their

sort of player. Both parties knew the situation at the start of the year and hats off to

Leino for staying. He could have gone back to Finland before xmas if he wanted. I'm

sure he has had long chats with Flip and he also has has lengthy conversations with

Zetta, so he knows where he wants to be I'm sure. He's had a mid season slump, but

I expect him to put that behind him and kick on from here.

Ville Leino, RedWing 09-10!! odds on bet.

Agreed with every word of this. If he's stuck it out this far, he'll stay the season and get re-signed during the off season. Given the Griffins will make the playoffs this season he'll have his mind on that job and that'll keep him focussed.

The Wings know he's too good to let get away.

Oh man! Even better! Now that he is a wing, he will have friday off. Maybe he can find a wife.

:D:D:D

Let's quick call Kenny and stick a new contract for next year in front of Ville!

I'm still working on working on the back-up plan to find him one in GR ... do you think he prefers blondes or brunettes?

What a goal by Ville. We've seen that spin move all year, but he actually stuffed it in, instead of making the great pass. What a move. That's going to be on SportsCenter's top 10 for sure.

And just cause I couldn't resist:

With moves like that he doesn't need to look for a wife, a wife will find him.

With moves like that he doesn't need to look for a wife, a wife will find him.

So, I was talking with my daughter. Even though she's much too young for Ville herself, she came up with the answer:

Sounds like Leino needs a spa day!

Now Douglas J/Aveda Institute is not only a team sponsor of the Griffins, it is just down the street from the arena. He couldn't possibly get lost. One of the people who work in the Griffins front office needs to call and schedule a day of pampering for dear Ville. Start him out with a massage, to be followed by a self-renewal facial, a manicure, a pedicare and a nice haircut. The front office should specify that they want Douglas J girls to do the various spa treatments; the guys who work there do good work too, but that would defeat part of the purpose. The girls will have a field day fussing over him. At the end of the day, Ville ought to have multiple wife possibilities. If not, he will at least be relaxed and feeling too good to care!

Why is it that some the YT clips of Leino with the most views are either of him embellishing contact, flat out diving or flicking people off? Is he like the Crosby of Finnish players in the sense that people just want to highlight his not so nice moments?

Why is it that some the YT clips of Leino with the most views are either of him embellishing contact, flat out diving or flicking people off? Is he like the Crosby of Finnish players in the sense that people just want to highlight his not so nice moments?

Because sometimes he totally dominated the Finnish Elite League. And sometimes he has done some stupid things (other season he showed middle finger to a other team player @ playoffs and received game penalty and didnt get to play @ the playoffs anymore). And he played last year @ League's most hated Club by others, Jokerit. Their just all jealous and stuff thats why..

I have a feeling that the cap is going to force the Wings to make some personnel moves that they don't want to. Some of the older players who get paid a lot might have to move on to make room for less expensive players like Leino. Time will tell, but I think that is the writing on the wall.

Boy wants a Girl.

I think he's adorable! You set it up and I'll be there ;)

I think he's adorable! You set it up and I'll be there ;)

He's got a very colorful/black eye right now. You don't mind, do you? Just wait another week or so before you bring him home to meet mom.

On Sunday, there was a long line of people (both male and female) who wanted to talk with him/get his autograph at the season ticket holder event. Maybe he was interviewing the women for the open position. It would have been a good time for him to work on his issue!

Edited by GROwl

I'd like to see Leino stay in Detroit but with the Wings trying to sign Hossa and or Franzen I'm not sure the Wings would have enough cap space to make it happen. I hope the Wings can work something out to keep Ville in Detroit if not hopefully the Wings can make a good trade for him or something. Maybe a higher draft pick.?.?

Ville said that he leaves back to Finland if he must play in AHL. I think I have read the same news than you but all in finnish. ( I live in Finland)

Edited by Acefan

Ville said that he leaves back to Finland if he must play in AHL. I think I have read the same news than you but all in finnish. ( I live in Finland)

I'm thinking that you've seen the last of Ville in Finland (at least professionally). Two assists in his first AHL playoff game last night and a goal and an assist tonight. He'll be in Detroit next year if not sooner.

I'm thinking that you've seen the last of Ville in Finland (at least professionally). Two assists in his first AHL playoff game last night and a goal and an assist tonight. He'll be in Detroit next year if not sooner.

Yes, and I really hope that.

He just complains that he wanna play in NHL, not AHL. I can sent those tapes to you if you understand finnish.

His complaints are understandable. he has the skill and only agreed to he AHL to get used to the style of play, correct?

Well, he's obviously used to it, any longer in the AHL and he is wasting his time and his talent.

His complaints are understandable. he has the skill and only agreed to he AHL to get used to the style of play, correct?

Well, he's obviously used to it, any longer in the AHL and he is wasting his time and his talent.

It used to frustrate me when I’d read that one of prospects had just signed with Detroit and that his contract contained an “escape†clause. If the prospect was assigned to the AHL, he could opt to go back to his country and play there instead. For the longest time, I couldn’t figure out why the Wings would agree to such a provision.

I mean, come on, no hockey player’s dream is to play in AHL. It’s a long season of playing multiple 3-in-3 games, a lot of travel – usually at night by bus, and the players make only a small fraction of their counterparts do in the NHL. However, they do it as a stepping stone to the mere possibility of fulfilling their NHL dream. It takes some guys (like Garrett Stafford who was 28?) years before finally getting his first chance to play in the NHL, sometimes it’s never. It’s a rough league, but they keep working hard season after season trying to make it.

After seeing Igor Grigorenko take the escape clause a few years ago after the first month of the new season, I now better understand why such provisions are offered. It’s a weeding tool. Grigorenko never would have made in the NHL. He may or may not have had the physical skills (it’s hard to tell when he showed up to training camp so out of shape). But he proved that he didn’t have the emotional or mental strength. Even if he were to have made the Wings roster, he would have fallen apart at the first sign of team adversity.

It also makes me respect Ville Leino more by the fact that he didn’t go back to Finland. It would have been a lot easier for him to leave and play in his home country. Yes, he complained; but he stayed with it. I would also argue that it has made him a better person by dealing with the disappointment, and a more complete player having the AHL experience. No time nor talent was wasted by him being in GR this year. If nothing else, he work ethic will be twice as much next year while he’s still waiver-exempt to ensure that he isn’t sent down again.

Detroit is a better team because they allow their prospects the choice. It’s the short-sighted, self-focused athletes who take it.