• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Broken 16

Russian Five vs. Swedish Five

Rate this topic

The Russian Five.

Mainly because of what they brought to the Detroit and NHL in general. Red Wings sort of adopted that puck possession style of play because of that and stick to that style no matter what.

Good point.

The Russian five's game is part of the reason why I became a fan of the Red Wings I think. It's easy to explain and hard to accomplish. Control the puck and you control the game.

Edited by Statts

What if datsyuk was there instead of kozlov ...

how better would that line be?

i agree... why replace kozlov. Now seeing those two together, in their prime that would be something.

Russian 5 obv. No question about it. The swedes still have plenty of time to prove me wrong though

Russian 5, we saw them all play together and their sum was clearly better than their parts -- A Swedish 5 we have not really seen on the ice

I was going to write this :P

i saw this thread and thought, Say huh? swedish five? what swedish five?

yeah the team has like 7 or 8 swedes but there was never a 'swedish whole line' of two D's, two wings and a center who were all on the same line and were out on the ice all playing together same shift all at the same time like there was with the russians.

so can't really compare a two since technically there was not a 'swedish line'

Edited by Holmstrom96Screens

Slava is and was exponentially better than Sammy.

He still holds our franchise record for playoff game-winning goals as well as OT goals. MFer was clutch.

You're absolutely right...Slava was and still is a far better player than Sammy ever will be.

Overall, for me, it's the Russian five. They changed the face of the Red Wings as we knew it, and our team was dominant once they were together.

Don't get me wrong though, the Swedish 8 are great players, but the Russian group's impact was felt so immediately, that it's tought to give the Swedes the edge,....yet at least.

OH this is easy.

Got to be the Russians at this point.

Two reasons in my head. The Russian 5 became the russian 5 because they would all play on a line together. We don't see the Swedish 5 on the ice at the same time all that much at all. Second, the Russian 5 accomplished more in their careers. Granted the second part could be crushed by the Sweds but i'm not sure that it will.

OH this is easy.

Got to be the Russians at this point.

Two reasons in my head. The Russian 5 became the russian 5 because they would all play on a line together. We don't see the Swedish 5 on the ice at the same time all that much at all. Second, the Russian 5 accomplished more in their careers. Granted the second part could be crushed by the Sweds but i'm not sure that it will.

Agreed. The Russians had such amazing chemistry when they played together, they really were a unit. The Swedes just happen to be from the same country, but they don't play together as a group and quite frankly haven't demonstrated any real amazing chemistry with each other. Matching up individually, maybe the Swedes get the nod, but playing as a group I've got to go with the Russian 5.

Slava is and was exponentially better than Sammy.

He still holds our franchise record for playoff game-winning goals as well as OT goals. MFer was clutch.

Very, Very True and I am a Sammy supporter!!

Russian 5 with out a doubt, the D was better.

fetisov and Lids wash in my bood, Vlad >>>>>>>> Kronner.

The forwards were sick, Feds, Professor, and Kozlov!!!

HOLY SHAT!!!

No slam to the Swedish 5, but Holmer is no match for Kozlov, Kozlov was deadly all over the ice, wicked wicked wrister/snap shot whatever that shot from the face off circle was.

The professor was well the professor, he was just that good.

Swedish 5 doesn't really exists so this an easy question. I've only seen the S5 on the PP a few times.

We should totally acquire a skilled Russian defender to accompany Lids and the HDZ line though.

Russian/Swedish Five = Best from both worlds.

I saw Slava slam Adam Foote's face against the glass hard enough to make him bleed like a stuffed pig. Thats physical enough for me. :)

Is this where Kozlov was heading in to the corner from behind the net and Foote was coming in to slam him? Koz sidestepped and guided Foote's face in to the glass?

If so, this was one of the smoothest moves I ever saw. Are you aware of any clips of it online?