• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Drake_Marcus

Lidstrom & Datsyuk suspended for skipping ASG

Rate this topic

January 23, Windsor Star: "I'm not going to call Nick and tell him he's got to go to Montreal to sit and talk with the media for a day," said a fiery Holland, who is upset with the NHL's treatment of Lidstrom on this issue. "Imagine me calling Nick, a six-time Norris Trophy winner, four-time Stanley Cup winner and someone who has gone to the last 10 all-star games and telling him he can't spend the time with his four boys and wife.

"I have too much respect for Nick because I know he's playing in pain. He's shown up at every NHL Awards show he's been nominated for. He's done everything the league has asked him to do. He's put in his time and he's paid his dues. I'm backing my player because I know he's hurt."

Holland said Lidstrom came to him Monday to tell him the tendinitis in his right elbow was flaring up. The Wings' captain had a MRI done Wednesday and Holland said they found a small tear.

"This has been an ongoing problem for Nick for a number of years, but it's only gotten worse as he's gotten older," Holland said. "The tear isn't really significant, but it'll only heal with rest. He felt a week off would help get him back healthy. He's never come to me and asked out of the game before, so I know he's hurting. There's a chance he might not play Tuesday (even if he's suspended). We're fortunate to have some points in the bank and we're looking at the long term here."

"We're being cautious [with Pavel Datsyuk] here because the last time I saw Franzen he couldn't play and wasn't walking well," Holland said. I have trouble asking players to go to Montreal who are injured. I don't even know where the two of them are."

Holland said he explained all this to NHL vice-president Colin Campbell earlier this week. Holland said he has no plans to call the league again.

"I don't know exactly what Gary has said, but we've always encouraged our players to go and they have over the years," Holland said. "We played in the Winter Classic when asked even though there was some internal opposition. We gave up our traditional New Year's Eve game. We've helped carry the flag for the league for more than a decade. I think we've tried to be good partners in these things. I understand the All-Star Game is important, but I'm not going to tell Nick and Pavel to go either."

Courtesy of the Windsor Star.

There is a very interesting line in there. He mentions he doesn't even know where Franze and Datsyuk are. Do teams usually lose track of players halfway through the season? He must have them hiding in a undergroudn hole in Tikrit or something.

Aside from Holland being a hero, another important thing to gleam from his comments is he obviously had no idea there was an "exception" to the rule; that if a player merely "attended" the ASG, they were exempt from the rule, despite an injury.

Aside from Holland being a hero, another important thing to gleam from his comments is he obviously had no idea there was an "exception" to the rule; that if a player merely "attended" the ASG, they were exempt from the rule, despite an injury.

Doesn't he specifically mentioned that he's not even going to order them to go meet the media and stand around?

It doesn't matter if they're too hrut to do that, it's the principle of the thing now. Holland and Illitch have to back the team and protect them from the NHL. It's always said when a premier franchise has to stand up to the parent league.

I love hwo classy our organization is. Even when we're flipping the bird to the league it's never over the top.

Doesn't he specifically mentioned that he's not even going to order them to go meet the media and stand around?

It doesn't matter if they're too hrut to do that, it's the principle of the thing now. Holland and Illitch have to back the team and protect them from the NHL. It's always said when a premier franchise has to stand up to the parent league.

I love hwo classy our organization is. Even when we're flipping the bird to the league it's never over the top.

Yes. The NHL is all of a sudden telling him that if they show up, they do not risk a suspension, and Holland is stating he is not going to enforce that upon his players.

He obviously knew there was a danger they would have to sit a game for this, but he also obviously did NOT know there was the "Crosby Exception".

He seems pissed, as he should be. This whole thing is ridiculous, especially with Nick Lidstrom. No respect there.

I would like to see how many times players have missed an allstar game due to "injury" in the past. Who is to say who is hurt and who isn't.

Edited by Wings_Rule_1010

I just sent an email to the NHL marketing department...I don't know if you care to but here is what I put.

To whom it may concern:

Hello, I don't know any other way to voice my opinion on this matter directly to the NHL, so I figure that this is the only way to do this. My comment is regarding the recent decision by Gary Bettman to suspend Pavel Datsyuk and Nicklas Lidstrom for not participating in the All-Star game festivities. I have been a hockey fan and devoted follower of the game for going on 16 years now, many things have made me shake my head...but this is downright wrong. How Gary feels he can do this is beyond belief. I mean, Nicklas Lidstrom has a resume that is 2nd only to Bobby Orr as far as defenseman go and has been one of the classiest players and people the league has ever had. How it seems fair to suspend a guy for even a half a game for not basically being a puppet is what is wrong with the marketing of the game today. Gary is so intent on marketing the game...yet show me where that intent is. A player says a crude comment on live T.V and basically gets blacklisted from the NHL, I don't know if the heads at the NHL offices hang around true fans, not just of the NHL, but of hockey in general, they would know that deep down every fan chuckled by the comment of recently suspended player. I guess my point would be this...Even if a player does the right things on and off the ice, is basically an ambassador for the game, he can still get suspended for not doing his part in trying to stick his nose up some suit and tie guy from Pepsi Corp.'s butt just to get the NHL 1 or 2 more advertisements. Quite frankly, I am proud of my team for not stooping to that level and picking family over hockey, it goes to show that when I became a fan of this great game many years ago...I made the right choice in team. Thank You and enjoy the All-Star game, cause I will enjoy mine January 27th when the Red Wings begin play again.

I just sent an email to the NHL marketing department...I don't know if you care to but here is what I put.

To whom it may concern:

Hello, I don't know any other way to voice my opinion on this matter directly to the NHL, so I figure that this is the only way to do this. My comment is regarding the recent decision by Gary Bettman to suspend Pavel Datsyuk and Nicklas Lidstrom for not participating in the All-Star game festivities. I have been a hockey fan and devoted follower of the game for going on 16 years now, many things have made me shake my head...but this is downright wrong. How Gary feels he can do this is beyond belief. I mean, Nicklas Lidstrom has a resume that is 2nd only to Bobby Orr as far as defenseman go and has been one of the classiest players and people the league has ever had. How it seems fair to suspend a guy for even a half a game for not basically being a puppet is what is wrong with the marketing of the game today. Gary is so intent on marketing the game...yet show me where that intent is. A player says a crude comment on live T.V and basically gets blacklisted from the NHL, I don't know if the heads at the NHL offices hang around true fans, not just of the NHL, but of hockey in general, they would know that deep down every fan chuckled by the comment of recently suspended player. I guess my point would be this...Even if a player does the right things on and off the ice, is basically an ambassador for the game, he can still get suspended for not doing his part in trying to stick his nose up some suit and tie guy from Pepsi Corp.'s butt just to get the NHL 1 or 2 more advertisements. Quite frankly, I am proud of my team for not stooping to that level and picking family over hockey, it goes to show that when I became a fan of this great game many years ago...I made the right choice in team. Thank You and enjoy the All-Star game, cause I will enjoy mine January 27th when the Red Wings begin play again.

You & Kenny = my heroes.

I wonder if this whole circus will have any effect on the Wings playing overseas next year.

What e-mail address did you send that too, I think I want to write one of my own.

Edited by Bluedevils_13

Now this shows the kind of boss you want to work for...and it shows why players would do anything to either join this organization or stay with it.

Bravo, Mr. Holland. Bravo.

By the way, we can voice our discontent....right to the asshat. Thursday afternoon at 4PM on NHL Home Ice on XM and Sirius, they do a call-in show with the Buttman. We need to flood the phone lines and emails with our opinions on this. If we call in and tell him what we think of this, he has to listen to us. I say we flood the phone lines and the emails with this.

Edited by Kira

Umm what crap. Gary has drawn the line obviously. Yeah there are the players called alternates for the AS game. Lids and Dats should be the starters except we have this ridiculous vote. If Lids and Dats can play the next game, then they should.

Now this shows the kind of boss you want to work for...and it shows why players would do anything to either join this organization or stay with it.

Bravo, Mr. Holland. Bravo.

By the way, we can voice our discontent....right to the asshat. Thursday afternoon at 4PM on NHL Home Ice on XM and Sirius, they do a call-in show with the Buttman. We need to flood the phone lines and emails with our opinions on this. If we call in and tell him what we think of this, he has to listen to us. I say we flood the phone lines and the emails with this.

Bettman is typically on his radio show on xm 204 on Sundays as well. He sounds like such a tool when he talks. You can try and get through, but its almost impossible. People sit in que for an hour trying to get their 5 seconds in!

Good for Kenny to stand up for his guys, but whats with the thread title? There is no exemption by Crosby - he made the trip to Montreal and will be taking part in all off ice activities, thus preventing the one game suspension.

Unfortunately, I doubt it...remember, this isn't Cindy we're talking about. This is two guys who go out and give their all every game, every shift. This is two guys who prefer to fly under the radar and go about their business. Not some puck-hungry, egotistical, attention-grabbing media "darling". They'll never get a break.