• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Drake_Marcus

Lidstrom & Datsyuk suspended for skipping ASG

Rate this topic

Babcock's reaction:

"Everything that I'm hearing is coming from you people (the media) and that's not usually what we react to," Babcock said. "So, when Colie (Campbell) speaks with me, I'll know what the decision is and how to react better."

On Friday it was revealed that NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman is enforcing a policy that was set at the General Managers Meetings last winter that any player invited to participate in NHL All-Star Weekend must do so if he plays in his team's final game before the break. If he chooses against participating in the events of NHL All-Star Weekend he will not be permitted to play in his teams next regular season game.

Datsyuk and Lidstrom each played this past Tuesday night, the Wings final game before the break, and are not here this weekend. The Wings say Datsyuk has a hip injury and Babcock said Saturday that Lidstrom has some tendonitis in his elbows.

"We're all about selling the League in Detroit and we do a good job of that," Babcock said. "Nick Lidstrom has been (at All-Star Games) nine years in a row. He has some tendonitis in his elbows, has all year long. He's not playing, but to me that's straightforward. I don't have a problem with that.

"Pavel Datsyuk left a one-goal game after the first timeout in the third period," Babcock continued. "We're in the winning business. We try to win our games. So, I think that pretty much sums all that up."

LOL... Lidstrom faking the injury?

Lidstrom has missed about 30 games in his entire NHL career. He takes promoting the league very seriously - going to every awards event. Almost every off-ice promotional event that he was asked to go to - he was there. He had an MRI done on Wednesday SHOWING the tear in his elbow.

But he's faking his injury?

Don't be ridiculous.

Posted this in the other thread regarding the hoopla of the All-Star game, but will do it again in here.

No, I don't join the hating Crosby and Bettman fanclubs like everybody else 24-7-365 does on here because people often go off the deep end with them and either obsessively hate Crosby when it is unnecessary or blame Bettman for everything when sometimes stuff actually isn't his fault.

However, with that being said...

Would it surprise me if in this whole frackas in my limited knowledge and reading is Crosby getting special treatment? Wouldn't surprise me.

Has Bettman handled this well? Absolutely not. I'm pretty sure Datstyuk and Lidstrom are honored to be selected to play in the All-Star game, but they shouldn't have to report to the NHL higher ups or execs. They are employed by the Detroit Red Wings, they should do their reporting to them, not the higher ups.

Meh, regardless I'll probably still glance at the game tomorrow evening cause I was always going to anyways, and it's just a 1-game suspension. Not going to lose my marbles or sleep over this even though it is a wee bit silly.

We're all about selling the League in Detroit and we do a good job of that. Nick Lidstrom has been (at All-Star Games) nine years in a row. He has some tendonitis in his elbows, has all year long. He's not playing, but to me that's straightforward. I don't have a problem with that.

Pavel Datsyuk left a one-goal game after the first timeout in the third period. We're in the winning business. We try to win our games. So, I think that pretty much sums all that up

Let me just put that into my Google Translator.............ok, got it.

Colin Campbell and Gary Bettman, you're a pair of clueless muppets who are succeeding only in making yourselves look bad

I love Babs (except when he was in my dreams during the finals, then I was scared of him)

Obviously, there was something to "work out"... because Crosby worked it out. Right? Apparently, this rule is "up for interpretation". Crosby showed that all one needed to do was make a simple phone call. I can't believe that you are implying that Bettman was ONLY willing to work with Crosby and that he is recieving special treatment. Maybe Bettman was willing to work with whoever called him. I know its more fun to create more reasons to hate Crosby... but c'mon.

For whatever reason, Holland refused to call Lidstrom and Datsyuk and give them a heads up. He felt it would be fine for them to just take the suspension and move on. All indications show that neither the Wings or Ken Holland cared enough to make any attempt at a resolution. That's their business.

Broken 16 I am tired of your endless bulls*** about Crosby; This has got to be the biggest ass kisser in the league and it seems he has a great companion in you. Maybe your nose is so far up Buttmans ass that you can not see the light but any one that is a fan of hockey understands that this is just a side show and that real hockey happens during the regular season and the playoffs so get off your high horse and say something meaningful for a change.

Agreed. I've not seen any compelling evidence about the timing of the various phone calls to the Wings and of the supposed exception for Crosby, but it's kinda pointless to argue anymore. I'll just agree to disagree.

This all should've been handled better, mostly by Bettman. But Holland hasn't really acknowledged that by letting his players sit, he should have already known that by that rule they would have to miss a game.

As I've said, basically it's a bad rule that no one really paid attention to and has now come to light in the stupidest way. Which makes an already lame ASG look like even more of a joke.

The upside being that by Lidstrom and Datsyuk being the ones punished for this, Bettman looks like even more of a douchebag.

Good to see at least a couple Wings fans that can look at this situation objectively, too bad you are outnumbered 10 to 1. The Crosby hate is as usual out of control. It is amazing that people think he actually enjoys having to put up with the gazillion interviews he is forced to do with the media asking the same questions over and over and over anywhere he goes while trying to lead his struggling team successfully as a 21 year old captain. It is way more a hinderance than an advantage in the long run.

The Detroit suspensions are not out of line. These guys clearly knew the rules and decided to skip anyways, no big deal. They deserve the rest and their team is in a spot in the standings where missing a game will not make or break their season in the least. They understand this, but apparently most Wings fans do not. If they were struggling to make the playoffs like Crosby and the Pens I have a feeling they would have made a bit more effort to make an appearance this weekend. If they want to skip the game and spend time with their families even if they aren't injured that badly that is fine too, just don't cry about the 1 game suspension as a result. They have earned the right to skip it by their superior play yet again through the first half of the year, and Holland is right to have their backs as he should also, but he probably should've added that they are fine with the rule and Lidstrom and Datsyuk will benefit from the extra game rest anyways. Instead he kind of came off as trying to pick a fight with the league concerning the whole situation.

Bettman had to put this rule in to try and prevent players from needlessly skipping what they view as a big night to showcase the league. They have had too many players skip in the past for no good reason and it was embarrassing. Everyone is making a way bigger deal out of this than it needed to be and it will be quickly forgotten once the weekend is over with.

Good to see at least a couple Wings fans that can look at this situation objectively, too bad you are outnumbered 10 to 1. The Crosby hate is as usual out of control. It is amazing that people think he actually enjoys having to put up with the gazillion interviews he is forced to do with the media asking the same questions over and over and over anywhere he goes while trying to lead his struggling team successfully as a 21 year old captain. It is way more a hinderance than an advantage in the long run.

The Detroit suspensions are not out of line. These guys clearly knew the rules and decided to skip anyways, no big deal. They deserve the rest and their team is in a spot in the standings where missing a game will not make or break their season in the least. They understand this, but apparently most Wings fans do not. If they were struggling to make the playoffs like Crosby and the Pens I have a feeling they would have made a bit more effort to make an appearance this weekend. If they want to skip the game and spend time with their families even if they aren't injured that badly that is fine too, just don't cry about the 1 game suspension as a result. They have earned the right to skip it by their superior play yet again through the first half of the year, and Holland is right to have their backs as he should also, but he probably should've added that they are fine with the rule and Lidstrom and Datsyuk will benefit from the extra game rest anyways. Instead he kind of came off as trying to pick a fight with the league concerning the whole situation.

Bettman had to put this rule in to try and prevent players from needlessly skipping what they view as a big night to showcase the league. They have had too many players skip in the past for no good reason and it was embarrassing. Everyone is making a way bigger deal out of this than it needed to be and it will be quickly forgotten once the weekend is over with.

I have a request:

Find me the statement in the CBA that allows players to skip the actual game if they at least attend.

I would be fine with them enforcing it if all parties involved were punished. They are not.

OK, I agree that there is definitely a lot of Crosby hate around here so let's take him out of the picture....

Lidstrom and Datsyuk both miss the all-star game so there is no representation for the defending Cup champions so Bettman (who doesn't give a s*** about the players) only cares about marketing the league (very poorly at that) decides to threaten to suspend them.

The whole problem I have with this (along with the Avery suspension) is the logic behind suspensions and the inconsistencies between other situations when there is "conduct detrimental to the league"

Obviously, there was something to "work out"... because Crosby worked it out. Right? Apparently, this rule is "up for interpretation". Crosby showed that all one needed to do was make a simple phone call. I can't believe that you are implying that Bettman was ONLY willing to work with Crosby and that he is recieving special treatment. Maybe Bettman was willing to work with whoever called him. I know its more fun to create more reasons to hate Crosby... but c'mon.

For whatever reason, Holland refused to call Lidstrom and Datsyuk and give them a heads up. He felt it would be fine for them to just take the suspension and move on. All indications show that neither the Wings or Ken Holland cared enough to make any attempt at a resolution. That's their business.

I don't get how you can call lids and dats selfish. My god how much glory have these 2 given Detroit in the Hockey Kingdom? How much have these 2 helped out around the community donating to charities and creating foundations. If they want to sit out a game that does not matter, that's fine with me. You can get angry for people complaining about Crosby, BUT DO NOT CALL DATSYUK AND LIDSTROM SELFISH. I think you have a beef with them because they are making more money then you.

This league is a ******* joke.

It's a slap in the face when people ask Bettman about the teams who are in financial trouble and he blatently lies and says all teams are making money..... He thinks the world is that nieve, all I know is that he is starting to piss off the major owners who are the ones footing the bill for Bettmans Southern Hockey projects that are failing.... This All Star Game does not carry the stroke that it once did, no body gives a hoot anymore.....

It's a slap in the face when people ask Bettman about the teams who are in financial trouble and he blatently lies and says all teams are making money..... He thinks the world is that nieve, all I know is that he is starting to piss off the major owners who are the ones footing the bill for Bettmans Southern Hockey projects that are failing.... This All Star Game does not carry the stroke that it once did, no body gives a hoot anymore.....

I agree, the thing that bothers me the most about him is how stupid he thinks everyone else is.

But you know Nick would never do that.

Your right. And I see where you're going with it. I agree with you.

Lids should wipe the sweat from his balls before he shakes bettman's hand. Subtle, but get the point across. Also later, Bettman will smell his hand and think of crosby. (yeah I went there)

quagmire.gif

Sorry dude but all these teams are making money even the Islanders, and which one of Bettmans Southern Hockey project have failed?

I to do not like the All Star game, and wouldn't mind if the NHL would do away with it.

Before I say anthing else, I will say I am a Czech and a GIANT Caps fan. The reason I am on this board is because there is no team in the NHL deserving of more respect than the Red Wings. I have read other boards where fans were appreciative of how we responded to the Wings Cup victory after the "Accident" in our own town.

To let you all know, serious DC Cap fans have the utmost respect for your franchise. As an Ovie fan I have always hated Bettmann. But nothing in me and my brother's love of hockey (we are Czech after all :) ) has offended us more than the suspension of Datsyuk and Lidstrom.

The Red Wings are an organization that despite continued success represent pure class and Lidstrom and Datsyuk are the epitome of that. Go to Hell Bettmann.

Unfortunately, the NHL is stuck with an NBA guy. If any of you visit DC, please let me know on this board and I will buy you a beer. I woud LOVE a Caps Red Wings CUP. Yes, I would be gun-ho Caps, but it would be a class, skill game.

Best of luck, and us true hockey fans need to unite and remove this swine that runs the greatest sport in the world.

GO CAPS AND WINGS!!!

Before I say anthing else, I will say I am a Czech and a GIANT Caps fan. The reason I am on this board is because there is no team in the NHL deserving of more respect than the Red Wings. I have read other boards where fans were appreciative of how we responded to the Wings Cup victory after the "Accident" in our own town.

To let you all know, serious DC Cap fans have the utmost respect for your franchise. As an Ovie fan I have always hated Bettmann. But nothing in me and my brother's love of hockey (we are Czech after all :) ) has offended us more than the suspension of Datsyuk and Lidstrom.

The Red Wings are an organization that despite continued success represent pure class and Lidstrom and Datsyuk are the epitome of that. Go to Hell Bettmann.

Unfortunately, the NHL is stuck with an NBA guy. If any of you visit DC, please let me know on this board and I will buy you a beer. I woud LOVE a Caps Red Wings CUP. Yes, I would be gun-ho Caps, but it would be a class, skill game.

Best of luck, and us true hockey fans need to unite and remove this swine that runs the greatest sport in the world.

GO CAPS AND WINGS!!!

As a Wings fan 1st and an Ovie/Caps fan second, I can say that I seriously appreciate the sentiment. As much as I would like to see a Wings/Caps cup Finals, I would just hate so much to have to root against Ovechkin. I would love to see him win a Cup some day though.

GO CAPS AND WINGS!!!

Sir, I tip my hat to you. You are a gentleman and a scholar. I have family in Northern Virginia, and if I ever get out that way, I'll be sure to find you. You can buy the first round, but the second is mine.

I don't get how you can call lids and dats selfish. My god how much glory have these 2 given Detroit in the Hockey Kingdom? How much have these 2 helped out around the community donating to charities and creating foundations. If they want to sit out a game that does not matter, that's fine with me. You can get angry for people complaining about Crosby, BUT DO NOT CALL DATSYUK AND LIDSTROM SELFISH. I think you have a beef with them because they are making more money then you.

No kidding. These are two of the most unselfish people I have ever met in my life. How dare someone call them that when they have no idea. You don't know what these two do for the fans, not only around Detroit, but also at training camp. They both will spend hours standing outside the arena signing autographs and taking pictures with fans. I know this to be true, because they have done it every year I've gone to camp. Their patience is incredible. They treat the volunteers with the utmost respect and the fans as well. They are as unselfish as the day is long.

Ok i agree its not an exception but it is timely revision of a rule that had been clearly stated at the GM meetings now obviously had bettman planned on making the rule what it is now then why not propose that rule to the GMs instead of the one he did.

Yea maybe Lids and Dats should have called Bettman but i know when i break a rule at my work i dont call my boss trying to make a deal so to speak

The players in question dont matter it could be Getzlaf and Perry being suspended and it still would be unfair

Honestly Crosby should sit a game as well then they can revise the rule for the next all star game in 2011. All this does is make Bettman look bad b/c hes changing stipulations of a rule right before the event in question happens

Calling Dats and Lids selfish is blasphemous if Lids was selfish hed be making more then the 7 mil we pay him playing for another team. I bet all the ppl saying they are selfish would also say Barry Bonds was a team first player....