• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Tane

Skills Competition

Rate this topic

I don't know what the Format was like last year, I didn't see it. But the Skills Competition was something I used to Watch Every year, and look forward to it. I Loved All Star Weekend, but WTF did they do to the Skills Competition???

It was Bad enough when they stopped Taking the Winners from each event and putting them on display, so we were seeing the Fastest Skater, the Hardest shot, the most accurate shooter, the Best Stick Handler, and they just chose the participants from the all star roster.

That was the first Mistake......But i still found the competition entertaining, and Loved watching it. Where everything that Everyone did still had a purpose...They at least kept score, and Had a winner at the end.

Maybe the Winner didn't matter, and maybe nobody else even cares, But I think it sucks that they dont keep Score anymore, That you had East players shooting against east Goalies. I know it always Has been pointless, But I liked seeing who won...And for the few people like me, now it really is pointless....to everybody.

I like the Dunk Competition/Breakaway Competition. That was fun to watch...I liked the Youngstars game, I miss the Legends game. I like the Events that thy do have....But compare this Skills competition to the ones tehy had in the Early 90's...and it just falls short. I don't know, maybe no one else cares or even watched, but it left a bad taste in my mouth....

Aside from all that..... Ovechkin Was hilarious

Edited by Tane

I agree, it was fun to watch.

Everyone was just pissy there weren't any Wings there. If you just watched it and didn't take it so god damn seriously, you'd of enjoyed it.

A lot of the players looked like they had a s***load of fun aswell.

Posted this in the Boycott/GDT, but it works here too:

The Good:

- Ovechkin's props

- Chara stealing the Hardest Shot award with that last shot.

- Thomas' and his entertaining saves/save attempts.

- Giggy looking good (personal plus for me)

- The Breakaway Relay.

The Bad:

- The scrub goalie. Poor guy came in let goals in and turned out to be a Vezina contender.

- Fan's Breakaway contest had too many f*** ups and dead air.

- Still can't get a working stop watch, NHL?

- Camera angles for Hardest Shot. Half the net was being blocked out by the shooter.

- Some of the guys out there obviously not caring too much.

The Ugly

- Getzlol's bald spot, poor guy.

- The Young Star's competition's replays. I know there's not much time to show them, but during a breakaway?

- The overall camera work. The normal broadcast camera angle would of done just fine for a majority of the events. Especially the real time shots. If you wanna use those close up camera angles, do it during the replays.

- The suspensions of Lidstrom and Datsyuk. C'mon.

Edited by Jocu

I think the best thing that I "gained" from watching the Skills Comp. was that Yzerman was named the best captain, or something like that. Of course, I already know that Stevie was the best, but it's good to know that others around the country and the league feel the same way.

After watching another channel, I switched back to Versus and a montage of Yzerman was playing, to which Doc Emm. said that Stevie was named the best.

Who else was comparing the shootout players to Datsyuk, no doubt believing that he would have killed?

I didn't catch the whole thing, but I loved the elimination shootout. Unlike the flashy BS in the creativity shootout, the elimination shootout actually looked genuine. Very entertaining IMO.

Yeah, the elimination shoot-out was quite fun to watch actually. The quality on a lot of players attempts were laughable though.

You guys are a bunch of *******. I liked it, i enjoyed watching it. I had fun watching the players dick around and have fun with it. I don't care whos in it or why they are there. It was fun to see them on a not so serious note playing around.

What the f*** do you guys want out of it? Don't want it to exist? Why?

I didn't catch the whole thing, but I loved the elimination shootout. Unlike the flashy BS in the creativity shootout, the elimination shootout actually looked genuine. Very entertaining IMO.

+1

Doan going over to his kid and getting a hug after every goal with that big smile of his was pretty cool. Thomas letting Savard score on him was pretty funny, too.

I DVR'ed it because I was gone. Just got done watching it and I really liked it I love seeing all the guys have fun out there. Ovechkin is the s***

It was mad boring. The AHL skills comp is way better. More events, better events. I found all the NHL ones boring, and very straight forward. I remember they used to have a relay sort of thing, where the goalie at then end would have to score a goal from across the ice.

The shoot-out elimination was the only good part, but also was done poorly. Everyone should have to shoot against the same goalie in each round. Good thing Savard didn't win, Thomas handed it to him.

You guys are a bunch of *******. I liked it, i enjoyed watching it. I had fun watching the players dick around and have fun with it. I don't care whos in it or why they are there. It was fun to see them on a not so serious note playing around.

What the f*** do you guys want out of it? Don't want it to exist? Why?

I don't think that just because people get bored watching something it means that they're *******.

Yeah, the players looked like they had fun. I enjoyed watching some parts, but some were really boring and lackluster.

It was mad boring. The AHL skills comp is way better. More events, better events. I found all the NHL ones boring, and very straight forward. I remember they used to have a relay sort of thing, where the goalie at then end would have to score a goal from across the ice.

The shoot-out elimination was the only good part, but also was done poorly. Everyone should have to shoot against the same goalie in each round. Good thing Savard didn't win, Thomas handed it to him.

Watched it last night, but could not stay interested. Ovechkin made it entertaining, and Doan's daughter giving hugs after every goal... but other than that there really was nothing entertaining.

The AHL one today though, that was fun to watch, just like the old ASGs, get the good players, and good events. Some nice plays on the 3-man breakaway, and it was entertaining to watch Larsson and Kindl :P

I agree, it was fun to watch.

Everyone was just pissy there weren't any Wings there. If you just watched it and didn't take it so god damn seriously, you'd of enjoyed it.

A lot of the players looked like they had a s***load of fun aswell.

Posted this in the Boycott/GDT, but it works here too:

The Good:

- Ovechkin's props

- Chara stealing the Hardest Shot award with that last shot.

- Thomas' and his entertaining saves/save attempts.

- Giggy looking good (personal plus for me)

- The Breakaway Relay.

The Bad:

- The scrub goalie. Poor guy came in let goals in and turned out to be a Vezina contender.

- Fan's Breakaway contest had too many f*** ups and dead air.

- Still can't get a working stop watch, NHL?

- Camera angles for Hardest Shot. Half the net was being blocked out by the shooter.

- Some of the guys out there obviously not caring too much.

The Ugly

- Getzlol's bald spot, poor guy.

- The Young Star's competition's replays. I know there's not much time to show them, but during a breakaway?

- The overall camera work. The normal broadcast camera angle would of done just fine for a majority of the events. Especially the real time shots. If you wanna use those close up camera angles, do it during the replays.

- The suspensions of Lidstrom and Datsyuk. C'mon.

Add to the "Good" that not only did Chara win the Hardest Shot competition, but he went and gathered up the rest of the folks participating and raised a $25,000 pot to go to the winner of the competition's charity of their choice. They were saying how all the guys and the league reps were totally for it - and then after putting it all together, Chara won it for his charity.

Bad - I must say, I missed the relay from years past. It was kinda bland in some places, but high spots with the guys in the Breakaway contest helped keep up the positive pace in my house. Not too many patches of dead "omg - seriously?" goin' on.

I missed it. Went to a Plymouth Whalers game instead. That was WAY more entertaining imo.

Hells yeah it was! 4-2 over the suds! :D

I had a whaler weekend myself. Fri, Sat and then sunday in Windsor!