• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MidMichSteve

The "Suspensions"

Rate this topic

After reading the extraordinary number of posts in various forums concerning the decision to "suspend" Datsyuk and Lidstrom it seems pretty clear that most Redwings fans think it's a horrible move and most of the rest of NHL fans applaud it.

Looking at it from the view of the NHL front office, who better to use as an example to the players. Nick Lidstrom and Pavel Datsyuk are two of the classiest, least penalized, players in the league.

In the future players are going to realize that they had better be at the ASG if they are selected, by ballot or the league, or they are going to miss a potentially important regular season game that may impact their teams' position in the playoffs.

I am a Wings fan. Have been since the early sixties.

I didn't like the fact that there were no Redwings selected for the ASG because of electronic ballot stuffing by the fans. I was also ticked off when the "suspensions" were announced.

Bottom line, to me, is: Everybody will benefit from this. Lidstrom and Datsyuk will benefit from the much needed rest. It's good for the fans because players, in the future, will fulfill their obligations to show up at the ASG.

Bettman still sucks and GO WINGS!!

I hope the Wings win the Cup this year at the Joe, remember this, boo so much Bettman has to leave the ice and Datsyuk will hand the cup to Lidstrom.

Anyhooo...

I pity the fans that paid top dollar and already made arrangements to go down to Columbus 2nite (or live there) who wanted to see the likes of Dats and Lids play. Seems like it was silly to ban them from a fan event because they didn't attend a fan event....

all in all if they truly are injured and wouldn't be playing tonight otherwise, then sobeit.. it was a wash

Don't you mean the other way around?

In other words, "Strike that.....reverse it."

No you are thinking he meant Betty already gave it to the first person. I think he meant Dats would fill in for the "hurt" Betty and be the one passing the Cup to the Captain :) saying lids come get your cup!

Edited by OsGOD

http://www.hockeyexpressen.se/nhl/1.144547...jag-ar-besviken

(roughly translated): Nicklas Lidström on suspension: "I am disappointed"

Los Angeles: Forbidden to play. Although he can and wants to.

Nicklas Lidström may not be there when Detroit faces Columbus [for an away game on Tuesday night]

He punished now because he didn't get to Montreal during All Star Weekend.

"Of course I am disappointed. I refrained from playing for my own and Detroit's best [interests], because I suffer from an irritated/inflamed elbow, says Nicklas Lidström to HockeyExpressen.se.

He practiced with the Red Wings at home in Detroit yesterday afternoon and then flew with the team to Columbus.

During the night, Swedish time, there was contact/communication between the NHL management and the Red Wings club management in the "case Lidström," but when HockeyExpressen.se reached him at the hotel in Columbus Nicklas was not very optimistic that the league would decide otherwise.

"I hope that one will have an understanding/sympathy for my situation, but I have not received any indication that they will change their minds."

Aches torment him

Here's what happened:

Lidström has played with an inflamed right elbow muscle attachment [i.e. tendon] since the pre-season and has taken a cortisone shots to speed up healing.

"I have also taken anti-inflammatory pills to manage the pain, but it has not helped. Aches have continued to plague me/cause me pain.

After the away game in Phoenix last Tuesday Lidas decided to politely decline the All-Star game to get rest and treatment of the inflamed elbow during the break in play in connection with the All-Star Weekend.

For that reason he took the risk

Then the NHL threatened prevent him from [playing] the first game after the break. It referred to a resolution brought up by the league's General Managers during a conference for just over a year ago.

A rule which was known by enormously few outsiders.

"I was informed that I was risking a suspension, but thought I had [only] one choice if I wanted to get rid of the injury this winter," says Lidas.

You have played ten All Star Games past and never declined to [attend] other NHL events, such as a TV-gala from Toronto in June each year. Do you think it could have been more generous in their judgment?

"Yes, I don't agree with the league in its reasoning, even though I have some understanding for their position/attitude. But now it's me and Pavel (Datsjuk, Lidas' teammate who is also injured and abstained from All Star game in Montreal) who are identified/used as scapegoats.

"Can not take any more injections"

You could have done what Sidney Crosby did and went to Montreal, but didn't play?

"I stayed in Detroit, because I had arrived to an agreement with the Red Wings staff to receive treatment both Friday and Saturday. I can not take any more cortisone injections, so treatment was important for me so that I can keep playing in the winter. My elbow is still swollen."

Did you travel away to take a vacation over the weekend, as many other NHL players did?

"No, I was at home in Detroit throughout the weekend."

I pity the fans that paid top dollar and already made arrangements to go down to Columbus 2nite (or live there) who wanted to see the likes of Dats and Lids play. Seems like it was silly to ban them from a fan event because they didn't attend a fan event....

all in all if they truly are injured and wouldn't be playing tonight otherwise, then sobeit.. it was a wash

No you are thinking he meant Betty already gave it to the first person. I think he meant Dats would fill in for the "hurt" Betty and be the one passing the Cup to the Captain :) saying lids come get your cup!

My bad.....gotcha.

Sidenote: Can you imagine Datsyuk giving Bettman's speech? --"First off, congratulations Bruins for the Boston......Tea Good. Red Wings vin Cup, trust your eyes to Dr. Rahmani. Lidstrom to hold Cup, where you?"

Sidenote: Can you imagine Datsyuk giving Bettman's speech? --"First off, congratulations Bruins for the Boston......Tea Good. Red Wings vin Cup, trust your eyes to Dr. Rahmani. Lidstrom to hold Cup, where you?"

You forgot "Five Bucks." :lol:

esteef

This whole incident is a shame and its just more pointless drama created by the NHL that drags two good names through the mud, pisses me off a lot that a lot of those in the media just assume Lidstrom and Datsyuk were on some cruise selfishly spending their salaries that were supposed to cover the ASG. Glad Holland, Babcock, and the NHLPA are one their side.

You forgot "Five Bucks." :lol:

esteef

haha yeah, Pav don't do public appearances. He would need a huge bowtie, squirting flower, and exploding cigar to hammer home Bettman's hilarious attempt at authority.

Edited by b.shanafan14

Straight from the horse's mouth, Lidstrom talks about the circumstances on 97.1 Ticket

http://www.971theticket.com/play_window.ph...audioId=3380302

Notice: he said he didn't find out he could have gone until friday night, and no one from the league called him, they had essentially found out because Crosby was there and wasn't getting suspended.

haha and the Dominator's take:

http://www.971theticket.com/play_window.ph...audioId=3384179

Edited by b.shanafan14

Straight from the horse's mouth, Lidstrom talks about the circumstances on 97.1 Ticket

http://www.971theticket.com/play_window.ph...audioId=3380302

Notice: he said he didn't find out he could have gone until friday night, and no one from the league called him, they had essentially found out because Crosby was there and wasn't getting suspended.

haha and the Dominator's take:

http://www.971theticket.com/play_window.ph...audioId=3384179

I like how Lids said he didn't even watch the game! :lol:

esteef

Lidstrom and Datsyuk should one up Buttman and announce at a press conference their pay from tonights game will go to charity. They are getting paid for tonights game. At least I read they were a couple days ago.

MidMichSteve, I'm quoting your last paragraph, and wondering if you could explain what you meant:

Bottom line, to me, is: Everybody will benefit from this. Lidstrom and Datsyuk will benefit from the much needed rest. It's good for the fans because players, in the future, will fulfill their obligations to show up at the ASG.

Do you mean that players will, in the future, see this as a must-show event and make more of a concentrated effort to be there; or do you mean that all players will be required to show up at the expense of receiving treatment for their injuries? Or did you mean something else altogether that I missed?

Personally, I would rather that if a player is injured and can't play that he let his replacement do the whole job, and he stay home and receive whatever he needs medically for his situation. If the injury is one which would allow him to go, and if he chooses to, then he would be welcomed there, but the media attention should be on those who are playing, not on those who are attending. It makes the replacements seem second-rate to me.

Also, who would determine if a player should go or stay home? Would the league defer to the medical staff? Or would they have some sort of blanket statement that all must attend, which would open a huge can of worms?

I don't like this rule to begin with, and quite frankly, I'm worried about the future implications if it is not clarified.

MidMichSteve, I'm quoting your last paragraph, and wondering if you could explain what you meant:

Do you mean that players will, in the future, see this as a must-show event and make more of a concentrated effort to be there; or do you mean that all players will be required to show up at the expense of receiving treatment for their injuries? Or did you mean something else altogether that I missed?

Personally, I would rather that if a player is injured and can't play that he let his replacement do the whole job, and he stay home and receive whatever he needs medically for his situation. If the injury is one which would allow him to go, and if he chooses to, then he would be welcomed there, but the media attention should be on those who are playing, not on those who are attending. It makes the replacements seem second-rate to me.

Also, who would determine if a player should go or stay home? Would the league defer to the medical staff? Or would they have some sort of blanket statement that all must attend, which would open a huge can of worms?

I don't like this rule to begin with, and quite frankly, I'm worried about the future implications if it is not clarified.

Basically, from now on every ASG lead-up is going to sound like this: "so and so is injured but decided to play anyways instead of be suspended, so and so can't make it and will take the suspension". Either way, this isn't good because its first incident of usage is not only bulls*** top to bottom, but apparently not nearly as 'iron-clad' as thought to be in Datsyuk and Lidstrom's case as shown in Crosby's case. Fix the event and you'll get rid of the players who opt out, while improving it for fans and sparing players like Lidstrom and Datsyuk who have legitimate injuries. Bettman is the problem, as per the usual. He would rather fix what isn't broke in some cases, and instead of fixing something him and his marketing machine did wrong, he would rather force players to attend his party.

Lidstrom and Datsyuk should one up Buttman and announce at a press conference their pay from tonights game will go to charity. They are getting paid for tonights game. At least I read they were a couple days ago.

Quick! Someone e-mail Holland with this bit of genius!

#1 - With the exception of the OT and shootout, the all-star game was BORING and SLOW-PACED

#2 - The fact that they made a special deal with only Cosby so he could skip out is TOTAL BULL CRAP

#3 - It's a shame hockey fans in Columbus who bought tickets already have to watch a game minus two of its best players

I wouldn't upset if it were not for #2. A rule is only fair if uniformly enforced. It reminds me of other rules that aren't enforced uniformly such as INTERFERENCE.

I hope the Wings win the Cup this year at the Joe, remember this, boo so much Bettman has to leave the ice and Datsyuk will hand the cup to Lidstrom.

Anyhooo...

If the Wings DO win the Cup again this year: The fans cheer as the Cup is brought out to center ice at the Joe, Bettman comes out as the crowd chants VERY loudly, "A****le, A****le", so loud they drown him out, Bettman stammers into to the mike for Nick to come get the Cup, Nick skates over, and without even acknowledging him, grabs the Cup, puts it over his head, and skates around the ice, then hands it to Pav. (I know Nick has way too much class for that, but that is my dream scenario)

As I've said on other boards, I don't care about the All Star Game. I'd take tickets to a pre-season game over the ASG. At least in a pre-season game, there's hitting, the teams actually try to stop each other from scoring, and there's the chance of a fight. The ASG is pure folly.

So f**k the ASG. GO WINGS!!!

I think what really bothers me is not the 'rule' per se. If the GM:s did indeed agree, then yes it should be enforced. But as stated by Ken Holland, it seems pretty damned clear that had any of the other Red Wings the NHL asked to go instead of Lidstrom and Datsyuk agreed to show up, (by all accounts Hossa, Rafalski and/or Zetterberg ) then this would not have been an issue and no suspensions would have been handed out.

In other words, this is less of an iron-clad rule enforced by the NHL as much as it is a petty revenge by Gary Bettman. Those damned Red Wings don't bother to show up at my party? I'll show them... Either it's a rule, in which case no matter who the substitutes are, Lidstrom and Datsyuk would be suspended, or it's only if none of their team-mates show. I have to say the entire situation comes across as nothing so much as pure blackmail and therefore treading in very murky waters. If the NHL was so determined to get at least one or two Red Wings there, and I have to agree that it was pretty much a travesty that the defending SC champions and the team third in the league had no representatives apart from the assistant coach, then a) they could stop with the internet ballot stuffing voting system and b) Bettman could have picked up the phone and told Holland about the problem and asked him to send one or two players. I'm sure that some of the role players who ordinarily would not have had a chance of being selected, would not have minded going to represent the Red Wings. This would have been the logical and reasonable thing to do, but obviously Gary Bettman chose another course of action.

I think what really bothers me is not the 'rule' per se. If the GM:s did indeed agree, then yes it should be enforced. But as stated by Ken Holland, it seems pretty damned clear that had any of the other Red Wings the NHL asked to go instead of Lidstrom and Datsyuk agreed to show up, (by all accounts Hossa, Rafalski and/or Zetterberg ) then this would not have been an issue and no suspensions would have been handed out. obviously Gary Bettman chose another course of action.

Zetterberg was never asked to play in the all star game, according to detnews.com

In other words, this is less of an iron-clad rule enforced by the NHL as much as it is a petty revenge by Gary Bettman. Those damned Red Wings don't bother to show up at my party? I'll show them...

This is all it is, nothing more. Done.

I like how Lids said he didn't even watch the game! :lol:

esteef

Honestly i dont know if i am happy with that. We are easily the best team year in and out in the league and Lids is the best defensive player and overall just an outstanding person comments like that dont reflect well the team well or the league.

edit: forgot a word, by bad homes

Edited by Winged_WheelNut

As you're all well aware, Datsyuk is having arguably his best season ever, and seems like he will make a legit run for the Hart, Selke and Lady Byng (which would extend his streak to four in a row). Lidstrom, on the other hand, is still playing all-star caliber (hence the suspension :P ) defense as well as a solid game offensively, seemingly still head and shoulders above his competition.

However, will Datsyuk and Lidstrom's suspensions hurt their chances at winning individual awards? I know that the voting is done by the sports writer's guild, and many of the sports writers seem to be tearing into the two of them for not going to the ASG. Now, I don't want this thread to turn into whether or not the suspension was justified (the other thread was locked for a reason), but I really am curious what you guys think. Especially due to the nature of the Lady Byng; has anyone ever been suspended in the same season they won the Lady Byng?