• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Detroit # 1 Fan

Stuart Might Be Out A While

Rate this topic

http://redwingscorner.blogspot.com/

The 3rd story down. Babs said Stuart may be out 10 games or so, maybe more and might be place on LTIR. He says it might be a good thing to get Helm and Ericsson up to see what they have, but then the part that interested me, was without being asked he brought up Downey as a possible guy in the playoffs. Good to know that he's keeping his options with GR players open. Smaller news then Z :P, but still something to talk about.

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

This might turn out to be a blessing in disguise. While I want the best possible players we can get for the playoffs, we don't need them all during a season.. having a mid-tier player like this out is perfect for freeing up cap room to test some of our young, up and coming guys.. and see who will be good to have on the roster for the playoffs.

Anyone know Stuart's actual injury? Babcock said post game last night that he wasn't sure the proper term, but called it a "rib cartilage" problem. I guess I was wrong when I thought I heard Stuart was feeling better after the break. I would love to see Ericsson also.

Babcock has always loved having tough guys on the roster. I would bet money that when conversations between Babs and Kenny take place, Babs is the one who is more actively interested in dressing a tough guy.

Its only a blessing if we actually do call up a guy like Ericsson. Otherwise, I'm not too excited about seeing Meech and Lebda in the lineup at the same time. What a bland back-end.

I agree.

However, last time I checked (yesterday) the Big Rig was nursing some nagging injuries of his own.

Not really surprised Stuart is going to be out a while.. it looked absolutely horrifying the way he hit the boards.

It's never good when a player is injured, but I'd love to see Helm and Ericsson get the chance to play a few games now.

I think the best part of this is the salary-cap savings. No offense to Stuart (or Lidstrom for that matter) but having some big ticket guys out saves us cash every day, therefore paving the way to acquire someone more than a depth player at the deadline.

For instance....if Stuart/Lids were healthy now, played through, and then got injured at the start of the playoffs, we'd be looking at Meech/Lebda/Ericsson.

However, with some savings here and there, maybe we can bring in a decent guy in the UFA year of a $2-2.5 mill contract.

Guest mindfly

Stuart just said he was day-to-day and it wasn't serious, now babcock says this? i'd say 10games+ is a serious injury, whats with the hypocrisy ?

Edited by mindfly

Stuart just said he was day-to-day and it wasn't serious, now babcock says this? i'd say 10games+ is a serious injury, whats with the hypocrisy ?

I don't think you mean hypocracy, which means saying one thing and then doing another.

I think you are wondering why we have conflicting stories. Perhaps the word you were looking for is inconsistancy?

This is because the Stuart comments were made earlier when he thought that was the case, and the Babcock comments were made afterwards when the extent of the injuries was more clear.

Stuart's injuries may not have gotten worse, but in light of them, there are several ways of dealing with them. One is to keep him on- day today and hope for the best. Another is to put him on LTIR and let some younger guys come up with the cap space that we're saving.

Just so you know, hypocricy has negative connotations. If people don't know you're not a native English speaker, it may be construed as saying that they are lying, which is not the case.

Not calling you out, just letting you know.

Edited by 55fan

Guest mindfly

dunno what i meant.. just pissed off when they first say like "man its nothing, day-to-day" and now "he'll be out for long, probably 10games or more blabla"

:( :( :(

Although this is unfortunate for Stuart it will be a good break for a Griffin. Helm and Ericsson would be nice to see brought up. However Helm was recently injured ( not sure if he is back or not) and Ericsson is going in for an Xray for his nagging knee injury. I think our best bet would be to bring up LEINO. We have seen Ericsson and Helm and they have proved that they eventually will be valuable NHLer's. However Leino is still unproven and if we have to sign some low salary forwards for next year, he may be one of our best bets. I live in Grand Rapids and get to see him play regularly and i think he deserves a shot with the big club, atleast a few games.

Also Downey would be nice. I hate seeing our guys get smashed all the time and not have anyone to fight for them.

Edited by wingfan40

Although this is unfortunate for Stuart it will be a good break for a Griffin. Helm and Ericsson would be nice to see brought up. However Helm was recently injured ( not sure if he is back or not) and Ericsson is going in for an Xray for his nagging knee injury. I think our best bet would be to bring up LEINO. We have seen Ericsson and Helm and they have proved that they eventually will be valuable NHLer's. However Leino is still unproven and if we have to sign some low salary forwards for next year, he may be one of our best bets. I live in Grand Rapids and get to see him play regularly and i think he deserves a shot with the big club, atleast a few games.

Also Downey would be nice. I hate seeing our guys get smashed all the time and not have anyone to fight for them.

me too!

let stewie rest. the wings had a pretty rough february last year in the injury department, and things turned out pretty well. I'm excited about seeing some griffs come up. imho, look for some skin-of the-teeth wins till about mid-feb, then the wings will start firing on all cylinders.

When he crashed into the boards I was thinking "here comes the immobilizer", Then he skated off and I was very surprised. When they said it was a rib injury, I began to think he will be out about a month.

On X-mas Eve, I slipped on ice and fell on my side. I thought I had either cracked my ribs or broke them. I could not move without severe pain for 10 - 14 days. I couldn't sleep on that side or on my back without my legs in a certain position. To this day, 5 weeks later, it is still sore when I wake up or when doing something like shoveling snow.

I felt his pain and hope he is healthy for the playoffs.

I think the best part of this is the salary-cap savings. No offense to Stuart (or Lidstrom for that matter) but having some big ticket guys out saves us cash every day, therefore paving the way to acquire someone more than a depth player at the deadline.

For instance....if Stuart/Lids were healthy now, played through, and then got injured at the start of the playoffs, we'd be looking at Meech/Lebda/Ericsson.

However, with some savings here and there, maybe we can bring in a decent guy in the UFA year of a $2-2.5 mill contract.

There is no savings unless they go on long term IR, hence why we didn't have any one brought up for Tuesday's game. Couldn't afford too.

http://redwingscorner.blogspot.com/

The 3rd story down. Babs said Stuart may be out 10 games or so, maybe more and might be place on LTIR. He says it might be a good thing to get Helm and Ericsson up to see what they have, but then the part that interested me, was without being asked he brought up Downey as a possible guy in the playoffs. Good to know that he's keeping his options with GR players open. Smaller news then Z :P, but still something to talk about.

I heard on the NHL network something like the LTIR is a minimum of 10 games out. That puts him back middle to late February...eek

:blink:

Don't forget, when the big ticket guy comes back, so does his payroll. The cap relief is only temporary. So as soon as that big ticket guy returns, the cap relief is gone.