• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NC WINGS FAN

It is rhetoric like this that is ruining the game and league!

Rate this topic

If people have a problem with the fighting in the NHL, they shouldn't watch. It's really just that simple.

And if they want to watch hockey without the fights - watch college hockey.

That is the sentiment amongst the vast majority of hockey fans/ purists.

I know Bettman has stated he thinks fighting should remain part of the game, but such talk against it still irks me because I know it does not always take long for it to really catch on with the media and "political correcto nutjobs".

I find it absurd how people who know nothing and could care less about the sport or its traditions could have such an opinion that is probably based on something they heard on the news.

Sadly, knowing Bettman, he will try to do anything to please these people all in the name of "growing the sport".

I just hope that Bettman is smart enough to see this for what it really is. If such changes are made, it is highly unlikely that such people will watch or follow hockey. They will just find something else to ***** about while we the fans must suffer for their ignorance and inflated sense of self.

Guest Shoreline

He's clearly mocking people who think fighting is a legitimate party of NHL hockey. Impossible to take that article as serious.

I stopped reading during the second paragraph. :thumbdown:

esteef

That is okay. I did not read the whole thing either. I already knew what it was about and therefore could not force myself to read such propaganda.

Why all the hostility for hockey and the NHL?

*Sigh* And TSN's agenda of force-feeding this topic down our ******* throats has spread to another media outlet.

Huzza. The horrible dangers of fighting once again spun for us by a tool with a keyboard who took a quick glance at this week's talking points.

Once again- they'll have to ban MMA and boxing before I admit that this is a horrible problem that has to go.

Oh, and uncovered man-holes are STILL more likely to kill you than an NHL fight is to kill an NHLer. And I'm still siding with both public sanitation and with fighting.

I sent this comment in...

hey, just last week, someone died from choking on a peanut... should we make peanuts illegal too? Grow up man, thousands and thousands of hockey fights have happened and only a fraction of a percent of those people have any kind of significant injury. should we ban the legality of running over a catcher in baseball? It is part of the game, sometimes people get hurt, but they knew that when they laced up the skates.

College hockey isn't suppose to have fights (although occassionally I have seen it). I know they don't want student athletes policing the game. I feel like without that ability, players take run at players, knowing that there will be no repercussion from it, other than a penalty. There are so many times in the CCHA that players charge someone, hit them from behind or sucker punch them. It is unbelieveable how many times players are given a 5 minute major for hitting from behind. Must happen every other game.

Me too :thumbdown:

How dare he call that a "modest" proposal. Idiotic is the word.

Haha, Im guessing you don't really understand what satire or irony means. Read Johnathon Swift's "A modest proposal" and you might get an understanding. While the author obviously does not appreciate fighting in the NHL his recommendations are clearly ridiculous and even he knows this himself. What he is mocking are the NHL's attempts at changing the rules of engagement.

So before anyone goes and calls this article stupid, maybe you should read it a little closer. Even though I don't agree with taking out fighting, calling someone's opinion stupid because you don't agree with it is stupidity in itself.

In all honesty I found this article to be somewhat humorous, but its literary qualities are obviously wasted on this type of audience.

edit: sorry I don't mean to sounds elitist, but I'm just saying that its not likely that a large amount of people in this audience would have a background in literary studies.

Edited by stud_defenseman

Haha, Im guessing you don't really understand what satire or irony means. Read Johnathon Swift's "A modest proposal" and you might get an understanding. While the author obviously does not appreciate fighting in the NHL his recommendations are clearly ridiculous and even he knows this himself. What he is mocking are the NHL's attempts at changing the rules of engagement.

So before anyone goes and calls this article stupid, maybe you should read it a little closer. Even though I don't agree with taking out fighting, calling someone's opinion stupid because you don't agree with it is stupidity in itself.

In all honesty I found this article to be somewhat humorous, but its literary qualities are obviously wasted on this type of audience.

edit: sorry I don't mean to sounds elitist, but I'm just saying that its not likely that a large amount of people in this audience would have a background in literary studies.

ah. i get it now. i didn't see the "a modest proposal" part. yeah, he's just mocking the whole thing. at least he didn't say something along the lines of eating players to cut down on fighting. haha

That is the sentiment amongst the vast majority of hockey fans/ purists.

I know Bettman has stated he thinks fighting should remain part of the game, but such talk against it still irks me because I know it does not always take long for it to really catch on with the media and "political correcto nutjobs".

I find it absurd how people who know nothing and could care less about the sport or its traditions could have such an opinion that is probably based on something they heard on the news.

Sadly, knowing Bettman, he will try to do anything to please these people all in the name of "growing the sport".

I just hope that Bettman is smart enough to see this for what it really is. If such changes are made, it is highly unlikely that such people will watch or follow hockey. They will just find something else to ***** about while we the fans must suffer for their ignorance and inflated sense of self.

If Bettman starts making ridiculous decisions such as this one to draw in more people, I have a feeling he would LOSE lot more than he'd draw in.

Guest Shoreline

Some of us got the satire. Gotta read and pay attention to understand things. :P

Guest CaliWingsNut
I sent this comment in...

hey, just last week, someone died from choking on a peanut... should we make peanuts illegal too? Grow up man, thousands and thousands of hockey fights have happened and only a fraction of a percent of those people have any kind of significant injury. should we ban the legality of running over a catcher in baseball? It is part of the game, sometimes people get hurt, but they knew that when they laced up the skates.

An average of 100 people die each year choking on ballpoint pens.

In the 1990's more than 30 people were axed, hanged, burned and mobbed to death in the United States for practicing witchcraft.

both are proving to be more frequent!

I, and I am sure I am not alone, do not care what he is trying to do. Fighting has always been part of the game and most of us think it should stay that way, so of course we will be mad.

Before you go calling us ignorant and stupid, you must note that there are far more non hockey fans who are stupid when it comes to the sport (maybe other things as well). The ****** that wrote this article is a prime example of that, another sheep and non hockey fan jumping on the "Hockey Bashing Bandwagon" and media fad.

In the end, it is not his ridiculous proposals that get us mad, it the message he is trying to send that we are all growing very tired of. We are sick of little ******* like this assclown trying to "clean up the game" just so other little ******* can enjoy it and not offend anyone!!

This guys a moron, but what do you expect regarding hockey info from ESPN. It would be a travesty if they took fighting out of the game.

I love how they try to bash hockey for its allowing fighting while glorifying leagues such as the NFL and NBA whose players are constantly in jail.