• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
40#1Fan

Wings Call Up Leino & Downey

Rate this topic

http://kuklaskorner.com/

Grand Rapids Griffins forwards Ville Leino and Aaron Downey were recalled by the parent club Detroit Red Wings on Thursday morning.

The Red Wings were able to create salary cap space by placing defenseman Brad Stuart (ribs) on long-term injured reserve

Griffins' Leino, Downey called up by Red Wings

by Michael Zuidema | The Grand Rapids Press

Thursday January 29, 2009, 10:00 AM

Grand Rapids Griffins forwards Ville Leino and Aaron Downey were recalled by the parent club Detroit Red Wings on Thursday morning.

The Red Wings were able to create salary cap space by placing defenseman Brad Stuart (ribs) on long-term injured reserve.

Leino currently ranks second on the Griffins with 37 points (11 goals, 26 assists) in 44 games. He also appeared in eight preseason games for Detroit, and finished with six points (three goals, three assists) and a plus-3 rating.

Downey has two goals, four assists and 71 penalty minutes in 44 games with Grand Rapids. He appeared in 56 games for the Red Wings last season, and had three assists and a team-high 116 penalty minutes.

Leino or Downey would become the Griffins' 100th player to graduate to the NHL by appearing in a game with the Red Wings.

Thats ******* awesome. The Wings NEED to see what Leino has to offer in a real NHL game or two if they want to know where he fits into the scheme of things next year.

And I never thought I'd be so excited to see Downey potentially get a game or two here. I can't remember a more listless year from the Wings in terms of fighting, hitting, and overall physicality.

Holland said yesterday that even if they called up players, he wasn’t sure they’d be in the lineup, because how do you tell someone like Derek Meech, who’s been a trooper all season, to sit in favor of someone from Grand Rapids? Well, in the instance of tonight against Dallas, with Zetterberg out, it’d be a good opportunity to take a look at another forward. Meech, after all, is a defenseman, and while he’s done well subbing in up front, the Wings see him as a defenseman long term.

taken from Detroit Free Press.

This is great, I've been hoping to see Leino in an actual season game. I still remember that preseason game, I forget against who but I think we lost that one, we had all of our top guns out there and nobody could get one in. Sure we can say Hossa was still adjusting to the team and they were taking it easy but the fact is nothing was going in for us. Then Leino scored. I remember him having the only goal of the game. Regardless of the loss, he's a player that has shown that he can get something started when nobody else can. He just needs to prove it by showing it in a season game. I really hope he plays great when he's given the chance to shine.

As for Downey I'm glad we're going to have a legit enforcer at least for a couple games this season. It may be just what the rest of the guys need for that extra push.

I can't wait for the game later today :)

Edited by Namingway

Good news but I've got to be honest, I would much prefer Ritola. He deserves a call-up, especially before Downey.

Actually, me too. But they called him up last season. They've seen him in a decent string of NHL Regular Season games. They haven't seen Leino, ever, so it's understandable. If only Brunnstrom was playing.

This is great, I've been hoping to see Leino in an actual season game. I still remember that preseason game, I forget against who but I think we lost that one, we had all of our top guns out there and nobody could get one in. Sure we can say Hossa was still adjusting to the team and they were taking it easy but the fact is nothing was going in for us. Then Leino scored. I remember him having the only goal of the game. Regardless of the loss, he's a player that has shown that he can get something started when nobody else can. He just needs to prove it by showing it in a season game. I really hope he plays great when he's given the chance to shine.

As for Downey I'm glad we're going to have a legit enforcer at least for a couple games this season. It may be just what the rest of the guys need for that extra push.

I can't wait for the game later today :)

That was against Montreal. He ended up scoring in the shoot out too.

Nice goal against Ryan Miller. Great pass by Lidstrom.

http://www.detroithockey.net/multimedia/20...s_long_pass.php

Edited by titanium2

Holland said yesterday that even if they called up players, he wasn’t sure they’d be in the lineup, because how do you tell someone like Derek Meech, who’s been a trooper all season, to sit in favor of someone from Grand Rapids? Well, in the instance of tonight against Dallas, with Zetterberg out, it’d be a good opportunity to take a look at another forward. Meech, after all, is a defenseman, and while he’s done well subbing in up front, the Wings see him as a defenseman long term.

taken from Detroit Free Press.

Its easy, Holland. You tell Kopecky that hes useless, and make him sit. Then you can put in BOTH Downey and Leino. Problem solved.

Homer-Pav-Hoss

Franzen-Fil-Cleary

Hudler-Draper-Sammy

Leino-Kopecky-Maltby

damn so many possibilities .. d fense is probaly the only thing you kno for sure .. and ozzie starting

Leino isn't a checker though so I wonder if they're just going to put him on the 4th line like always.

It might be better for both parties if they had a third line of Leino-Fil-Sammy (Great Finnish connection), that is, unless they're still trying to kill him to see how tough he is.