• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

steveyzerman

Why people hate the Wings

Rate this topic

I never had strong feelings either way about them before last years' playoffs, where they hooked and held on to sticks and kicked the puck back to a winger in order to "win" faceoffs, pinned people to the boards and held on to them repeatedly, mysteriously "fell" when they conveniently needed a power play, etc. You name it, they did it in order to "win".

This just in: That's legal and a perfectly acceptable way to win faceoffs.

& about the other stuff, you can shove that right up your ass. Your just jealous that we do whatever it takes to win & we do it better than you & the others. That's why we win.

Please don't tell me you believe that your team doesn't dive, or hold sticks, or TRY and do whatever it takes to win.

We're just successful at it.

Here's the rest:

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2...-red-wings.html

I know, but that statement really summed up how clueless they are about hockey there.

I shouldn't generalize by saying they, but a lot of them are like that. & it's not just Dallas. Several other team's fans are completely uninformed about how hockey should be played & then they get in to these arguments where no one can win because they're ignorant & you can explain anything to them.

thats like asking why people hate usc, notre dame, the patriots the the spurs.

people hate teams that consistently win and dont give their teams a shot.

though i think the wings are a nicer bunch of guys than any of those other teams.

1) We have an owner who gives a s*** about his players...treats them with respect...makes sure they are happy.

2) Our management is top notch...and clever when it comes to negotiating with players and agents for new contracts.

3) Our scouts can find diamonds in the rough before anyone else even knows they're out there.

4) Players are begging to come here to play, and once they get here they don't want to leave.

5) Somehow, the concept of winning 4 Stanley Cups in 11 years has an effect on the jealousy factor of other teams/players/fans.

Face it, they hate us 'cause we're damned good.

If I were a fan of another NHL team, I would do everything in my power to NOT hate the Red Wings. Hating the Red Wings only exposes your jealousy and inferiority complex. I take it as a compliment that everyone hates us - we're just that damn good.

HA! This stuff is gold, Jerry!!!

You didn't post the rest of the crap, but it's hilarious!!! Was it written by Pen's coach "Mike Terrion" (as ESPN calls him)?

And WTF is this further down????

"Because they don't respect the Stars."

What does this even mean? Anyone? Bueller?

HA! This stuff is gold, Jerry!!!

You didn't post the rest of the crap, but it's hilarious!!! Was it written by Pen's coach "Mike Terrion" (as ESPN calls him)?

And WTF is this further down????

"Because they don't respect the Stars."

What does this even mean? Anyone? Bueller?

I know. I don't think anyone else is even reading the rest. Haha. We get all the media attention? Apparently, someone didn't watch the Stanley Cup Finals. These people are a joke.

It's not that I *hate* the Red Wings, it's just the fact that everyone has the 'they can do no wrong' mentality towards this time. Sure, they have solid players and a good system, but where the hell has the objectiveness gone? Many teams have the same components (but not the ooh-ahh pizzazz or ancient players, obviously) and hardly receive a quarter of the media's attention.

Their conceit also shows through in signing someone for 12 years that will only be good for maybe half of that. If I were Datsyuk, I would leave in two seasons and have the Red Wings pay for my first decade of retirement.

It's also very disheartening to see skilled players have to resort to such tactics as the ones that Daniel alluded to in their slowly-becoming-obvious "whatever it takes" mentality.

In summary: they're a good team, but far from God's gift to hockey.

Zetterberg. Fixed. Whatever.

That poster is stupid. The contract is null if you retire.

....right? haha, I should probably check before I call him stupid.

Players do have a responsibility to PLAY just as much as teams have the responsibility to pay them. So yes, if a player retires, his contract is voided, except for that 35+ rule which I apparently don't understand. :P

what's great about that blog is they talk about how bad our fans are because we are good. Yet I never had a problem with the cowboys until in 07 I went to the game here in Detroit, and Cowboys fans have to be some of the biggest assholes I have ever seen. After they won against the ******* Lions of all teams they celebrate like it was the superbowl. Not to mention at least Detroit has made to the promised land once or twice in the last 10 years ;), those pricks can't even get to the playoffs. On top of that they call us white trash, dude you from ******* Texas come on..Lastly they say how our Dem Gov. had ruined the state, which she did. But have they forgot where the president that has ruined the country is from??

Edited by ben_usmc

I think it's funny when everyone says Detroit is their rival when Detroit really has no rival (except for maybe now with the Hawks). I was in Columbus the game the other day and I couldn't believe how many people thought we were rivals. For a rivalry to exist, there needs to be some hatred between the two or it needs to be going on for awhile. Much like the days with Colorado. There was a rivalry because the players on each team hated each other. Not because one team kept beating another. That's why I don't understand why Columbus thinks there's a rivalry with the Wings.

The thing that bugs me about these types of threads is that people start using inclusive pronouns, like "we" and "us."

I personally have never played for the Red Wings, therefore I don't count their achievements among my own.

although a lot of wings fans are in there while I look towards the bottom and do nothing but prove exactly what they were talking about. I mean let them have there way don't go another board talking trash, that just reinforces their point. Vent here, obviously we will have a bunch of bandwagon aholes but don't show your ass to the other team. Like the HFboards they make the wings fans look like a bunch of whiny *******, they kept going on and on about the ASG. Makes me ashamed sometimes.

How many Stanley Cup banners hang in Dallas? One, under very questionable circumstances. How many hang in the Joe? 11.

Case closed.

The thing that bugs me about these types of threads is that people start using inclusive pronouns, like "we" and "us."

I personally have never played for the Red Wings, therefore I don't count their achievements among my own.

seriously, is this your 1st time on a board or something? most people reference their team, by we's and us. Look at about 90% of the threads and when talking about the team in general it can be seen a ton of times. I personally hope to never see you do it though, since it bugs you so. Us wings like talking that way ;)

Edited by ben_usmc

My response:

People hate the Wings because they're winners. That's the plain and simple fact.

Whoever the top team is - people love to hate. It has nothing to do with the actions of the team (for most), nor does it have anything to do with personal vendetta. It's just how professional sports goes.

When the Wings dynasty dies out - and it will because ALL dynasties do - someone else will take over. And when that team does, people will love to hate that team as well. As soon as the Wings glory dies out, you won't hear half as many people bashing the Wings the way they do now.

It's part of the fun of sports. Take the number one team and rip them down. Because, face it - if you can beat the number one team - it's more of an honor than beating a number 12 team.

My response:

People hate the Wings because they're winners. That's the plain and simple fact.

Whoever the top team is - people love to hate. It has nothing to do with the actions of the team (for most), nor does it have anything to do with personal vendetta. It's just how professional sports goes.

When the Wings dynasty dies out - and it will because ALL dynasties do - someone else will take over. And when that team does, people will love to hate that team as well. As soon as the Wings glory dies out, you won't hear half as many people bashing the Wings the way they do now.

It's part of the fun of sports. Take the number one team and rip them down. Because, face it - if you can beat the number one team - it's more of an honor than beating a number 12 team.

It is that simple. It makes me wonder how many despised Montreal in their 3 decade long dynasty.

What bothered me about that board, and many others, is that people come up with lame excuses for why to hate. In the process, they come across as complete asses while coming from a city who calls its football team "America's Team". Oh well, I guess that's all just part of the human psyche.