• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

talex

Cameras at JLA

Rate this topic

Hi,

1st... I just found this site awesone fan site, great job!

My question is about cameras at Joe Louis Arena, I know you can take them but there are limits. I have a Canon SX10IS I would like to take and I am not sure if anyone else has had issue's with a point and shoot at JLA or not. This one has 10MP and a 20x zoom so I am not sure if they will allow it or not. I also have a fujifilm S8100fd which has 10MP and 18x zoom and a Kodak 6.1MP with a 3x, but I would much rather take in either the Canon or Fuji...

Any help/ Advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Nah, you're good. The Joe Louis website mentions that they do not allow over 80MM attached or detached lenses, which I doubt that you're packing. And really, when we went last year during playoffs, I said that I had a camera and opened my bag, and the guy just waived me along without even inspecting. I think you'll do just fine.

And have a great time!! :)

Guest CaliWingsNut
Does anyone know why they have any restcritions on cameras?

It's likely left over mostly from pre digital times... a lense of that type is only gonna be used by a pro. Now you can get near the same quality w/ something that fits in your pocket.

Nah, you're good. The Joe Louis website mentions that they do not allow over 80MM attached or detached lenses, which I doubt that you're packing. And really, when we went last year during playoffs, I said that I had a camera and opened my bag, and the guy just waived me along without even inspecting. I think you'll do just fine.

And have a great time!! :)

That's great, it would stink if I had to take it back to the car. Should be able to get some good pictures!

Does anyone know why they have any restcritions on cameras?

It's called "control". When you're a member of the press you sign a credential form when you go to cover a Red Wings game that places limits on what you can do with the photos you take. Basically, you are limited to "editorial" usage. Basically this means for use in newspapers, magazines, news websites, and any other periodical publication. At the Freep's website you can buy re-prints of the photos they publish in the paper or their website. But if you select a Red Wings photo in your request you will be told they can't do that for contractual reasons.

As a fan, you haven't signed any legal contract about photos taken at JLA. Therefore it's harder to police people that want to take photos at games and put them on eBay. So most pro-teams tackle the problem at the source. They make it hard for fans with cameras to take images that are good enough to sell. Unless you're on the glass, or darn close to it, an 80mm lens ain't gonna get you many "Wow" photos.

At least JLA has a clear policy. Some places have a vague camera policy that may only say something like "No 'professional' equipment allowed." Basically, this means that if the particular security guard at the gate you enter thinks your camera is "too nice", then they'll block you from bringing it in.

It's likely left over mostly from pre digital times... a lense of that type is only gonna be used by a pro. Now you can get near the same quality w/ something that fits in your pocket.

I guess I wasted my money on a DSLR then...

Hi,

1st... I just found this site awesone fan site, great job!

My question is about cameras at Joe Louis Arena, I know you can take them but there are limits. I have a Canon SX10IS I would like to take and I am not sure if anyone else has had issue's with a point and shoot at JLA or not. This one has 10MP and a 20x zoom so I am not sure if they will allow it or not. I also have a fujifilm S8100fd which has 10MP and 18x zoom and a Kodak 6.1MP with a 3x, but I would much rather take in either the Canon or Fuji...

Any help/ Advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

saying "3x" or "10x" means nothing, you have to know the focal length of the camera. I have an 18-70mm lens which would have "3.88x" zoom and an 80-200mm lens which is "2.5x" zoom

I could take the 18-70 in, but not the 80-200

keep in mind also you dont want to pay attention to the "35mm equivalent" focal length, that has to do with the size of your sensor related to the focal length, what matters is the actual focal length

Well I hope they allow it, they do look alot like a D-SLR though and it says right on it 5.0 - 100.0mm and is 35mm film equivalent: 28-560mm..

here are links to both with specs if anyone can clarify further...

Fuji s8100sd

Canon

41ZKW9pmZVL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

51YIBzljPcL._AA280_.jpg

will post if I have any issue's....

Edited by talex

jesus 560mm, you can zoom in on a spec of dust on the bench with that thing lol

and 4x digital zoom, although it wont look good if you need to see something 3 miles away that would be excellent

Edited by 06TJSport

jesus 560mm, you can zoom in on a spec of dust on the bench with that thing lol

and 4x digital zoom, although it wont look good if you need to see something 3 miles away that would be excellent

The only problem is that JLA is so dark that at 560mm the lens is at f5.7. So the fastest shutter speed you'd be looking at is ~1/200th sec at ISO1600. Even with IS, I think you're going to be luck to get anything usable at any decent telephoto length. When I use my 18-70mm f3.5-4.5 lens the best I can do is 1/400th @ f4.5, ISO1600... and that's cheating a bit and under exposing!

And most of the time they will look at the focal length printed on the lens. If they see a number larger than 80mm, you'll likely be told to return it to your car or check it at Guest Relations. I took a fish-eye along one night for fun along with the 18-70 and they made me take out the fish too to check it's listed size.

The only problem is that JLA is so dark that at 560mm the lens is at f5.7. So the fastest shutter speed you'd be looking at is ~1/200th sec at ISO1600. Even with IS, I think you're going to be luck to get anything usable at any decent telephoto length. When I use my 18-70mm f3.5-4.5 lens the best I can do is 1/400th @ f4.5, ISO1600... and that's cheating a bit and under exposing!

And most of the time they will look at the focal length printed on the lens. If they see a number larger than 80mm, you'll likely be told to return it to your car or check it at Guest Relations. I took a fish-eye along one night for fun along with the 18-70 and they made me take out the fish too to check it's listed size.

Well maybe I will get lucky because of the non detachable lens, the s8100fd does not have anything printed on it and has a real fast 5MP mode where it snaps images faster than I could say the word "click", so even if I get that one in it will be great. Guess I will just have to go and see what happens, maybe without detachable lenses they will let it slide... going to 5 games in the next few weeks so I am hoping to get some decent shots.

For anyone interested:

I got a chance to try both of my super zoom point and shoots tonight at the Milwaukee Admirals vs Chicago Wolves game at the Bradley Center in Milwaukee.

Canon SX10IS (10MP, 20x Optical Zoom) vs FujiFilm s81000fd (10MP, 18x Optical Zoom).

I was suprised at how well the Fuji did, especially on the action shots, it has a fast frame mode which snaps images extremely fast although it drops to 5MP in this mode, it was excellent. Both camera's did pretty darn good for faceoffs and non action shots, but the Fuji won hands down on the fast action, capturing the puck in mid air and players charging the net with little to no blur in most shots, both were used in Auto mode for fair comparrison.

I posted images online to compare if anyone thinking of picking up a super zoom point and shoot wants to compare the 2.

View the photos here

Edited by talex

yeah, two full stops is a lot to lose at the tele end and IS will do nothing to stop the action. You will get the same motion blur with IS as you get without it.

I have a Panasonic digital that fits in my pocket but has a 40x telephoto on it. I can be sitting across the arena and get some pretty nice closeup shots on the bench with it. As long as it doesn't look professional they won't bug you. Of course, my cell phone has a 4gb memory card in it too and I could conceivably take pics with that.

Wow! Those are fantastic.

Thanks!

I think I might start a topic on the best camera's and settings for those cameras to use at hockey games, I have website space I could use and set something up so people could upload images for examples. I am not a photographer obviously but I am very intersted in learning more from those willing to share....

A lot of the success comes not only from the camera but the person behind it. A lot of the best pics I've taken are a bit of dumb luck as well as the subject matter and the composition. Anything learned from another photographer is good to have, but never discount dumb luck as well.

Wow great pics! I was able to get tickets to the Wild-Red Wings game on the 21st at the Xcel Energy Center and I noticed in their rules about the use of digital cameras it says that as long as they don't have video recording that they were fine. Do all arenas check for this? My only camera has this feature and I would like to take it.

Wow great pics! I was able to get tickets to the Wild-Red Wings game on the 21st at the Xcel Energy Center and I noticed in their rules about the use of digital cameras it says that as long as they don't have video recording that they were fine. Do all arenas check for this? My only camera has this feature and I would like to take it.

I do not know about Xcel center, seems like camera's like my Kodak Easy Share would pass even though it can take video, the video would be so poor there is no way it could count and most cell phones can do video now so I am sure they mean cam corders otherwise nothing could get in, but it never hurts to be sure. I started a new topic devoted to Camera's, Settings, Stadium rules and tips. If the subject takes off I will provide a means for people to upload their hockey images like I did so we can see the different camera's in action as well as share tips from our experiences and maybe even a little bragging rights for those lucky awesome shots!

the topic can be viewed here

We were able to take our 15x zoom 10MP camera into the Joe with no problem. This also takes HD 720P video which comes out surprisingly good. I did take precautions to use friction tape to cover the text displaying what zoom the camera was capable of. I didn't want to chance not getting to take pictures and having to check my camera in at the customer relations desk. The last time we checked our camera in (it was a 35mm with a 800mm zoom lens) the dolts at the customer relations desk took a photo (wasting the film) of nothing.

Here is the policy as it is written at the Olympia Entertainment website

CAMERAS with lenses under 80MM are allowed into Joe Louis Arena on game and event days. NO video recorders or flash photography is allowed. Cameras with detachable lenses that extend over 54MM are prohibited.

Of course you see flashes all over the place.. not that it helps.

Edited by alowicious