• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aussie_Wing

1/30 ROC 3 GR 2 SO - 1/31 GR 8, ROC 4 - @ GR

Rate this topic

Rochester Americans (15-26-0-4) @ Grand Rapids Griffins (28-9-6-3)

0507aa0d50f9ffa794ff4c5183d29d2a.300.jpg @ 0c106b0f016bb1daa2eb7543376e8bf5.300.jpg

The Grand Rapids Griffins play their first game in 6 days as they are at home taking on the last place Rochester Americans. The Griffins are on a 5 game streak where they have gained at least one point and are currently 2nd in the North Division. Despite only scoring 2 goals from their past 2 games the Griffins have managed to gain wins from both on the back of stellar goaltending from both Larsson and Howard. Howard started the previous game but Larsson participated in the All-Star game so Howard may get the nod tonight.

Despite the fact they take on a poor opponent the Griffins will need to be at their best. They have been off the ice for an extended period and they are missing some of their best performers. Ville Leino is out, as is Downey, and Helm and Ericsson are both expected to miss due to injury. The depth of the squad will be tested but that has been one of their biggest strengths this season. Former Red Wing prospect Shawn Matthias will play for Rochester and will look at cause the Wings some pain.

Possible line-up:

Ritola - Haydar - Gagnon
Mursak - Abdelkader - Tardif
Lemieux - McGrath - Pare
Oulahen - Helm - Emmerton

Kindl - Galvin
Kolosov - Stafford
Jozaa - Pyett

Howard
Larsson

Team Leaders:

Goals: Haydar (16) Ritola, Pare (15)
Assists: Leino (26), Haydar, Kindl (22)
Penalty Minutes: Downey (71), Abdelkader (59)

Notes:

• Jimmy Howard was this week named the AHL Player Of the Week.
• Francis Pare and Justin Abdelkader are tied for 12th in the league for rookie scoring.
• If Helm doesn't play, are their 12 forwards fit and on the active roster?

TV/Radio:

Internet stream: Pay-per-view AHL Live

Radio: Grand Rapids Broadcast: Radio feed

Box Score

This is probably the first game all year that I'm actually worried about this team. With how they have been playing lately, and with our depleted list of forwards (due to injury and call-up), it might be ugly. Our defense needs to show up for the first time in quite a few games, and our goalies need to be as hot as they have been lately. Hopefully our offense gets a couple scores, too.

Are we to assume Abdelkader won't be part of the lineup tonight?

If Abdelkade already been recalled (per www.theahl.com), I'd say no. The question is will Downey be in the lineup? Doesn't he have to clear waivers before coming back down? Or has he recently cleared again?

No Abdelkader. Downey is back and playing.

Helm and Ericsson both back. Bob Kaser said that Ericsson is still very banged up, but didn't go into further detail beyond saying that he is playing despite of it...

Griffins up 2-1 with a 8 minutes remaining in the 3rd. Another close game.

Howard in net and has saved 28 of 29 shots. Scoring for the Griffins:

2. GR Kolosov, (1) (Ritola, Tardif), 6:19

2. GR Oulahen, (11) (Haydar, Helm), 7:53 (PP)

Matthias assisted on the lone Rochester goal, as did Gelech who the Griffins loaned to the Americans.

No Abdelkader. Downey is back and playing.

Helm and Ericsson both back. Bob Kaser said that Ericsson is still very banged up, but didn't go into further detail beyond saying that he is playing despite of it...

This annoys me more than it probably should. Why the hell did Fraser/Ericsson decide to play then? We had Jozsa available, and I do NOT believe he is injured. There is no way in hell that an injured Ericsson does ANYONE any good. I just don't understand it I guess.

As for the game, I thought our D was there in the first period, but then magically it disappeared again. Howard made some really nice saves, but their goalie (Brodeur) made some nicer ones. Their goalie "stole" those 2 points, much like we did last weekend. Hopefully he doesn't start tonight, or has his rare off game.

Who won in the end?

Griffins lost, but it was a great game. Griffins just could not score one time on their goalie in the shootout. Howard stopped all but one. This loss wasn't anyone's fault, just a darn good game.

Well the Griffins certainly got their revenge tonight!

8-4 win! :thumbup:

1. GR Oulahen, (12) (Helm, Tardif), 2:58

2. GR Lemieux, (6) (McGrath), 2:37

2. GR Helm, (11) , 18:11 (PP)

3. GR Oulahen, (13) (Helm, Ericsson), 3:42

3. GR Lemieux, (7) (Pare, McGrath), 10:24

3. GR Kolosov, (2) (McGrath, Pare), 17:12

3. GR Lemieux, (8) (McGrath, Pare), 19:33

3. GR Kolosov, (3) (Mursak, Gagnon), 19:54 (PP)

Larsson 27 saves on 31 shots.

Three Stars:

1. GR - 21 Francis Lemieux (3G)

2. GR - 16 Ryan Oulahen (2G)

3. GR - 15 Darren Helm (G, 2A)

Kolosov's a machine! :scared:

Yeah it was an interesting third period to say the least....when the Americans tied it at 3-3 I was starting to dread OT, I was even telling my Cameramen to start praying to whatever diety they wanted, cause damned if I wanted a 6th straight game to go past regualtion!

Coleslaw really is picking up his game, I think he needs to play a bit more physical, but he isnt making the defensive mistakes that he was a bit earlier in the season, and is even adding some scoring punch now...

Brodeur was replaced after the first period. At the game, all the arena announcer said was the name of the new goalie (Beckford-Tseu). If Brodeur got injured during the first, I didn't see it. For those of you who heard the game on the radio or watched it on the internet, was anything more said? Brodeur was pretty impressive in my opinion.

I thought Rochester did a good job skating with the Griffins up until the mid-point of the third period when the game started getting chippy. Also, Beckford-Tseu began getting pulled with like 6 minutes left. I think he was in at out of the net 3-4 times. The game got pretty wild from that point on.

Edited by GROwl

It started with Tardif and Stewart hugging right in front of the Griff bench. Stewart couldn't get free, so he seemed content to hug until the refs stepped in. Tardif threw quite a few, and landed some...then pulled the jersey up and over Stewarts head. He got in 2 more good shots, and the refs stepped in. Stewart skated to the box with a nice shiner on his cheek.

Kolosov really is doing MUCH better than the beginning of the year. He's using his weight, making nice outlet pass plays. The scoring is just an added bonus :yowza:

It was nice to see our offense show up for the first time in a while.

My real question is this, did any of you other guys watching (online or at the game) notice our D-men pinching at weird times? Emmerton especially, did one helluva job getting back to the point, or further in order to cover for a bad pinch by a d-man.

My real question is this, did any of you other guys watching (online or at the game) notice our D-men pinching at weird times? Emmerton especially, did one helluva job getting back to the point, or further in order to cover for a bad pinch by a d-man.

I didn't notice it so much last night - although I wasn't in my normal seat behind the goal where it is very obvious when there is a defensive misplay. It was very apparent a week ago Saturday though. In that game, Leino and Oulahen (and others) beat our D back several times.