• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 talex

talex

Tom

• PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 11:20 AM

Figured this was worth a discussion, looked around online and could not find any decent discussion on which camera's and settings were best to use for Hockey games.

I have pretty muich been a auto settings point and shoot guy at the moment, and I thought it would be nice to start a topic with others about what has worked for them, both which are the best common cameras and which settings they would recommend as well as tips and suggestions.

I have 3 cameras at the moment a Canon sx10is, FujiFilm s8100fd and a Kodak EasyShare C643 and I have images from a 4th camera.

I have posted images here so you can compare the canon and fuji, will upload from the Kodak and the 4th camera later today after the game.

I think any hockey images should be good, most of the photo's I take are of the Milwaukee Admirals (Nashville affiliate) but the principles are the same so I do not know if this needs to be a wings / JLA specific topic. It could also include what each stadiums rules are like, and with that for admirals games at the Bradley Center in Milwaukee, WI I have not had any issue's taking in the 3 camera's I own at all.

If the topic takes off which I am hoping it will, I can provide a means for users to upload their own images for comparrison and do reviews on camera's specific to the topic of hockey....

Edited by talex, 31 January 2009 - 11:31 AM.

#2 Anomalously

Anomalously

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:26 PM

Photos of sports, especially indoor sports, are taken best with SLR or DSLR cameras. The reason is that point-and-shoot cameras have an extended process for autofocusing and taking the photo that usually leaves them blurry. The DSLRs also have larger sensors, in addition to the faster, more accurate focusing, which means they have less "noise" or graininess when shooting with high ASA/ISOs (a value based on the sensor or film's sensitivity to light).

To stop motion, it is best to be shooting at ~1/400 sec.; often, depending on the venue, this means the ASA/ISO (sensitivity) must be anywhere from 1600-2000. However, depending on the lens' maximum aperture, you can sometimes get it down to ~800 ASA/ISO. Flash also helps to stop motion, but this is often discouraged.

Edited to note: While shooting ice hockey, it's important to keep in mind while shooting in an auto mode (such as aperture- or shutter-priority) that you will probably need some exposure compensation, because the ice may "trick" the camera into believing the venue is more well-lit than it is, thus leaving the picture underexposed.

Edited by Anomalously, 04 February 2009 - 04:29 PM.

-- Anom (#24)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users