• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Winged_Wheeler

Should the Red Wings Fire Assistant Coach Brad McCrimmon?

Rate this topic

Brad McCrimmon  

121 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The players have themselves to blame for their poor defensive play, they are the ones out on the ice. The defensive coach, can only do so much in practice and once the game starts it is up the each player to do the job that he is getting paid to do.

Edited by LidsFan

I'd say no, but I would say yes if this defensive trend were to continue in the long run of things. Lets see how it all plays it first though. Obviously accountability goes both ways, on him and the players. There has been a remarkable decline in defense ever since Todd McLellan left and it's almost as if the defense is lost out there sometimes.

For instance, they're letting guys go right to the net, and virtually giving our goaltenders no chance on shots (from the point especially). This type of thing has to stop. They need to raise their physical game (it's a broken record I know, but it's the dag gum truth) when on defense. In addition, the puck awareness and turnovers are becoming another problem. How many times do we see odd man rushes or breakways? Quite a bit this season.

Also you have to factor in some bad luck, injuries, goals being stifled by Dan O'Halloran (a.k.a. The O'Halloran factor), and you got yourself a disappointing streak of losses. I'm confident the Wings will pick it up though. There's always a low point in the season where we all start to freak out, but the Wings will just prove us wrong. :P

Edited by aflac9262

I'd say no, but I would say yes if this defensive trend were to continue in the long run of things. Lets see how it all plays it first though. Obviously accountability goes both ways, on him and the players. There has been a remarkable decline in defense ever since Todd McLellan left and it's almost as if the defense is lost out there sometimes.

will you do our next GDT (no offense to the Hockeytown!!) to see if it makes a difference? :D

This is silly. WE HAVE THE SAME DEFENSE AS LAST YEAR! What do you think McCrimmon has done that warrants his firing? How is he responsible for the poor play? Does he run the drills in the wrong order in practice? Maybe blow the whistle too loud? Please, someone give me one thing of substance that McCrimmon has done that has a direct causal relationship to our struggles. If there is none, then let's acknowledge there is absolutely no reason other than to send a message ... and quite frankly, that doesn't sound like something this organization would do, at least not midseason. During the offseason, if the playoffs are not successful, that's another story ...

You do realize that McLellan worked with the offense, don't you?

I'm not advocating firing McCrimmon, but McCrimmon has a TON of talent to work with that is underperforming like crazy. Bedard, on the other hand, has a back-up and an inconsistent starter past his prime to work with.

Past his prime? How was he so great in last year's playoffs then.

He wasn't past his prime then? He must have aged greatly between June and October.

Cant see it happening now halfway through a season firing the assistant? Maybe if him and Babcock were in heated feuds on the bench but thats not happening. Then you bring a new guy in and he has only 30 games left to learn the system, dont think thats a good idea. If its not working I think they would have to deal with it in the summer.

This is silly. WE HAVE THE SAME DEFENSE AS LAST YEAR! What do you think McCrimmon has done that warrants his firing? How is he responsible for the poor play? Does he run the drills in the wrong order in practice? Maybe blow the whistle too loud? Please, someone give me one thing of substance that McCrimmon has done that has a direct causal relationship to our struggles. If there is none, then let's acknowledge there is absolutely no reason other than to send a message ... and quite frankly, that doesn't sound like something this organization would do, at least not midseason. During the offseason, if the playoffs are not successful, that's another story ...

That's the point. We have the exact same defense who played amazingly under one coach last year and is failing under a new coach this year. Sounds like McCrimmon doesn't fit.

Are we running out of players to completely trash, so now we have to move on to the staff?

Before we started getting injuries. things were looking better. Not perfect, but better.

Give them/him a chance to turn this losing streak around. We just might emerge from this whole situation as a much stronger team.

Besides, I seriously doubt anyone would fire the assistant coach in the middle of the season when the team is 2nd in the conference.

What are his responsibilities? Run drills? Design schemes? I'm just not sure if firing him would make things better.

I understand your point of view, but look at it this way:

1) Our defense sucks.

2) Our defensive players are the best in the world.

3) The only change has been the addition of McCrimmon.

It might not help to fire him, but it clearly wouldn't hurt and he may very well be the problem. He is the only change to our world class defense and thus should be the first major change.

Every year the Wings go into a funk sometime during the season, so I've learned not to get too upset. It is very difficult to play at the same intensity level throughout the complete regular season.

Nevertheless, the defense this year hasn't looked that good, and the goaltending is really bad.

However, I vote NO to a firing at this time.

Let's hope that things improve.

Wow, now we're moving on to the coaching staff.

5 game losing streak!!11!!1!!! oH nOoOOs!!1!!!!

eventually it'll move onto Dats/Lids/Zetterberg.

I seem to remember a thread last year in the playoffs with a title like "The Euro Twins - is one retarded?" or something stupid like that.

I just sit back and laugh at stupid threads like this one.

He was an assistant in Atlanta for four years and they made the playoffs once. Before that, he was in Calgary for two and a half years . . . and they missed the playoffs both of his full seasons.

Just sayin'. . . . I'm hoping Sasaktoonian Babs read further on McCrimmon's resume than "Saskatoon Blades head coach, 1999-2000" before offering him the job.

Past his prime? How was he so great in last year's playoffs then.

He wasn't past his prime then? He must have aged greatly between June and October.

Hasek aged greatly between June and October of 2008. And Hasek was one of the greats. To quote Mickey Redmond from yesterdays game "when it goes, it can go fast boy."

You also seem to forget that Osgood wasn't great in the 06/0 season. Hes had hot and cold seasons throughout his career as it is.

And finally, Osgood is the 5th oldest goaltender in the league out of 80 guys. The only guys older are Roloson, Cujo, Kolzig, and Brodeur. Outside of Brodeur, there isn't any high end talent that in the 35 and older category.

He was an assistant in Atlanta for four years and they made the playoffs once. Before that, he was in Calgary for two and a half years . . . and they missed the playoffs both of his full seasons.

Just sayin'. . . . I'm hoping Sasaktoonian Babs read further on McCrimmon's resume than "Saskatoon Blades head coach, 1999-2000" before offering him the job.

Exactly. It seems like if you once played for the Red Wings you're almost guaranteed a job.

Aha! McCrimmon was the problem in Atlanta! Thank goodness they dumped him on us, they should be primed for the playoffs now ... oh ... wait ...

That's the point. We have the exact same defense who played amazingly under one coach last year and is failing under a new coach this year. Sounds like McCrimmon doesn't fit.

So McCrimmon has somehow managed to coach a stellar defense into playing poorly? I don't buy that. They just aren't playing well ... little hustle, mental lapses, way too many turnovers in our own zone, failing to clear on PKs, etc. Again, unless you can point to something specific that McCrimmon has changed from last year to this year that is clearly making our defense play this way ...

Aha! McCrimmon was the problem in Atlanta! Thank goodness they dumped him on us, they should be primed for the playoffs now ... oh ... wait ...

I'll put this on you then: Based on the several non-winning years on his resume, would you have hired him to be essentially the D co-ordinator on a defending Stanley Cup team?