• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ArcticWing

They all love ... Detroit?

Rate this topic

Don't know if this has already been posted, but here goes.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/387...?page=1&c=y

Don't laugh. The Red Wings have been making all the right moves for years; Henrik Zetterberg's signing is just the latest.

From top to bottom -- from the drafting led by European superscout Hakan Andersson to the recruiting of free agents such as Marian Hossa to the convincing of homegrown star after star to accept "hometown discounts" to remain inside a franchise that has created an unparalleled culture of winning, nobody does it better.

The Red Wings are the envy of 29 teams.

"They're in a unique situation," Wild GM Doug Risebrough said. "I was on a plane with [Red Wings coach] Mike Babcock the other day and I told him, 'If anybody wants to pursue your model, it's a ridiculous thing. Guys want to stay there. You have a culture there of winning. ... Nobody can follow your model.'"

In this salary-cap era, Holland has managed to preserve his impressive core and last season win a fourth Stanley Cup in 11 years.

This, despite the fact that in the past 15 years, the Red Wings haven't picked higher than 19th in the draft. In the past 12 years, they've had five first-round picks.

Yet, year after year, the Wings unearth talent late in the draft: (Johan Franzen, 97th, 2004; Jiri Hudler, 58th, 2002; Valtteri Filppula, 95th, 2002; Zetterberg, 210th, 1999; Pavel Datsyuk, 171st, 1998; Tomas Holmstrom, 257th, 1994). And there's quite a pipeline in the minors of young 20-somethings waiting for their shots.

This is why most players with a desire to win first, make money second, want to go to Detroit. This is why nobody ever wants to leave Detroit. They know the grass isn't always greener.

Guest DetroitBoy313
There's only one reason to feel sorry for Henrik Zetterberg. He has to live the next dozen years in Detroit.

He could of left that out,joking or not.

are you high? if it were rolling forward that's how it'd roll...... DAWG

I'm sorry, I see that going forward for the Winged Wheel as the "Wheel" is the front, the "Winged part" being the back.. Therefore it is going backward. So the way I view the avatar is that it is rolling backward. Perhaps it is just how each of us perceive the proper forward direction for the emblem.

It was just a suggestion.. Arf Arf

Egads man, I know why the Wings are in a slump.. It's your Avatar!

fix your GIF! It's going backwards!

Do It.. Do It..

198 individual frames! No way I am redoing it. Well at least not now, maybe someday if I am bored to tears.

198 individual frames! No way I am redoing it. Well at least not now, maybe someday if I am bored to tears.

:) I like the gif.. I was just joking around.

Ya know, if something isn't working, you try something opposite.