• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
mjlegend

"I forgot he was a Red Wing!"

Rate this topic

Some of these might have been mentioned but a good list anyway:

Tim Cheveldae, Curtis Joseph, Shawn Burr, Keith Primeau, Jamie Pushor, Anders Eriksson, Dino Ciccarelli

hahaha i have one of shawn burr's hockey sticks...everytime i show people that that even have some hockey knowledge they are like.....who is that. hahahaha

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

I found this on Melrose. Just awesome. I didn't realize he was a tough guy. Wish we had someone like him now!!

During his NHL playing career, he played 300 games, scoring 10 goals, with 23 assists and 728 penalty minutes.

I found this on Melrose. Just awesome. I didn't realize he was a tough guy. Wish we had someone like him now!!

During his NHL playing career, he played 300 games, scoring 10 goals, with 23 assists and 728 penalty minutes.

From what I remember, he's fought guys like Bob Nystrom, Clark Gillies, Larry Playfair and others. Those are 3 of the 10 best fighters ever in the NHL in my opinion.

So yeah, Barry was definitely a tough guy just for having the nerve to fight those guys.

I've also heard that he is cousins with Wendel Clark and Joey Kocur, although I don't know how much truth there is to that. All 3 played for the Wings of course.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Anyone else hear the announcer say "Careful Bobby, that guy wears a helmet". Wow, so much was different back then. At least Melrose had the stones to fight those guys and got right to it.

hahaha i have one of shawn burr's hockey sticks...everytime i show people that that even have some hockey knowledge they are like.....who is that. hahahaha

I remember an article that was in the Toronto "Star" years ago about Burr. When Fedorov first came to the DRW, he was assigned to room with Shawn on the road. He was just starting to learn a new language and was given this advice by Burr: Watch as many cartoons as possible on TV.

And someone mentioned Pat Verbeek. I have a very vivid memory of him that really put him into my Hall of Favorites. It must have been around 2000, 2001 and it was a faceoff at center ice. Tiny little Verbeek just hauls off and downs a guy twice his size before the play even starts. Anyone remember that?

I couldn't forget him as a Wing since he was pretty much my favorite non-Wing ever before he was with us (see avatar). Scored his 500th with us too. He's borderline (probably won't get it) as it is, but he'd be a sure-fire HOF if he didn't spend most of his prime with the Whalers.

It's pretty much all been said by now, but Wendel Clark, Ulf Samuelsson, Bill Ranford immediately came to mind for me--remember how we loaded up with those guys (plus Cheli) at the deadline in 1999? We were mortal locks to three-peat, right up until goaltending issues caught up with us in the Colorado series. I'll man up and admit that I thought getting Kyle Calder was a great move.

Agree with eva and others, WTF is anyone doing naming guys like Ogrodnick, Kozlov, Burr? I don't even go back far enough as a hockey fan to have seen Ogrodnick or Burr, but understand that they were key contributors for several years to their respective Wings teams.

Adam Oates (who went undrafted and was signed by Devallano) and Paul MacLean (current assistant coach) were traded from Detroit to St. Louis for Bernie Federko and Tom McKegney in 1989. Within a year Federko had retired and McKegney had been traded away again - one of the worst trades in NHL history.

Edited by egroen

Paul Woods, Ron Duguay, Darryl Sittler, Corado Mickalef, Mike Ramsey, Brent Gilchrist, Jim Nill, Joe Kocur, Bob Errey, Murray Craven, Mike Krushulnyski, Adam Graves, Brent Fedyk, Troy Crowder, Basil Mcray, Gilbert Delorme, Dave Lewis, Joe Murphy, Jason York, Bob Rouse, Jamie Pushor

...all good lists!

...without looking up rosters, here are some I DO remember, see if you do too!

...Alain Chevrier

...Miroslav Frycer

...Terry Carkner

...Rick Zombo (you all remeber him!)

...Kevin McLelland (spelling)

...Chris Kostopolis

...Basil & Chris McRae

...Randy McKay

...Dave Barr

...Murray Craven

...I can picture a few more faces, but cannot put the name with it! There was on guy from Dearborn, a tough guy who played a year or so with Probert and Kocur, for the life of me I cannot remember his name! It's easy but it slips me! I come back when I remember it ot just get flustered and look it up, hopefully someone can remeber him before I come back!

-edit - Ok, so I had to go and look him up. Jim Cummins! Man, looking over those old 1985-1991 rostors I cannot believe the people that played for us and I forgot about! Torrie Robertson for one! Some guy named Tim Friday, I never even heard of! Classic! The list can go on and on!

Edited by LeftWinger

Does anyone remember back in the 2003-04 season when we had all kinds of injuries and we had half of Grand Rapids playing up here? Here are some of the names I found from the old boxscores:

Ryan Barnes

Mark Mowers

Kevin Miller

Darryl Bootland

Long-haired Jiri Hudler

Anders Myvold

Does anyone remember back in the 2003-04 season when we had all kinds of injuries and we had half of Grand Rapids playing up here? Here are some of the names I found from the old boxscores:

Ryan Barnes

Mark Mowers

Kevin Miller

Darryl Bootland

Long-haired Jiri Hudler

Anders Myvold

And suprisingly the team kept on winning throughout that...