• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy Pred 48

Fastest Wing?

Rate this topic

In my mind, Helm is easily the fastest on the wings.

But in the NHL, it's probably Gaborik, and if he ever plays again, Steve Sullivan was about as fast as they come.

I'd say Lebda for us, Martin St. Louis overall or maybe Kariya or Fedorov in years past.

Dandenault was a pretty quick d-man as well.

So hard to say though, because a lot of talented players like Days, Lids, Rafalski don't use speed a lot but I think that is their choice, not because they are slow.

If you're going on years past I have to say Bure. I saw him in the early 90s on the same ice as the likes of Fedorov, Yzerman and Coffey and I cannot even begin to describe how much faster he was than any of them. The first time he got a partial breakaway I remember swearing out loud at how he suddenly just flicked a switch and left everyone in his wake

If you're going on years past I have to say Bure. I saw him in the early 90s on the same ice as the likes of Fedorov, Yzerman and Coffey and I cannot even begin to describe how much faster he was than any of them. The first time he got a partial breakaway I remember swearing out loud at how he suddenly just flicked a switch and left everyone in his wake

Could well be, I started watching in the mid 90s but I was pretty young and I don't remember Bure.

Totally agreed. If we're talking about days past, Fedorov was incredibly fast, but no one I've ever seen could hold a candle to Bure in terms of speed. Coffey was fast, but not in the same league as these two. His style was so fluid, though, it was a thing of beauty to watch.

As for the Wings today? I'm going to go with the crowd here and say Lebda or Hossa. It's tough to measure on TV, though, since their skating styles are so different. Lebda LOOKS faster, but Hossa's speed is deceptive. He moves like a force of nature, and makes blowing past defenders look effortless.

Totally agreed. If we're talking about days past, Fedorov was incredibly fast, but no one I've ever seen could hold a candle to Bure in terms of speed. Coffey was fast, but not in the same league as these two. His style was so fluid, though, it was a thing of beauty to watch.

As for the Wings today? I'm going to go with the crowd here and say Lebda or Hossa. It's tough to measure on TV, though, since their skating styles are so different. Lebda LOOKS faster, but Hossa's speed is deceptive. He moves like a force of nature, and makes blowing past defenders look effortless.

Bure was a rocket but I'm telling you.. Russ Courtnall in the mid to late 80's and early 90's. Russ didnt have the best hands but his speed was UNREAL and he backed defensemen off so bad he would end up putting up some points.

Chelios.

He moves like The Matrix out there, because even though it looks like he's going slow, he's actually going fast.

:yowza: That's sig line material right there.

The question needs to be better defined/clarified.

for example:

breakaway speed/quick burst (already going forward) more critical on the guy receiving the outlet pass 0n the "breakaway"

acceleration (from a stop or change of direction) getting back on "D"

maintaining (from one goal line to the other) a consistant high rate of speed

Bure was a rocket but I'm telling you.. Russ Courtnall in the mid to late 80's and early 90's. Russ didnt have the best hands but his speed was UNREAL and he backed defensemen off so bad he would end up putting up some points.

Oh, I'm taking nothing away from Courtnall. Both of the Courtnall brothers were speedy as hell.

Red Wing - Lebda and Helm... I have never really looked at Hossa as being all that fast, he kind of moves in the zone with Jagr-esque power and dangles without having to use speed. Maybe he is fast, but there is no evidence that really convinced me he is significantly fast.

NHL - Raymond, Cogliano, Gaborik, Bouwmeester, Marleau, and Lombardi.

I watched Cogliano play at Michigan for a year, and he is seriously the fastest skater I have ever seen play. So I'm going with him for the NHL. For the Wings, I'll go with Helm.

I watched Cogliano play at Michigan for a year, and he is seriously the fastest skater I have ever seen play. So I'm going with him for the NHL. For the Wings, I'll go with Helm.

Thats 3 people who picked Cogliano,yet I'll say again..Eric Cole beat him in the Oilers skills competition,beat him badly.

I think Draper has lost a step or two and that's the reason his stats and play have dropped considerably this year. Just my opinion.

You could be right. I still see Drapes take off like a rocket sometimes - though I haven't paid enough attention to tell if he's slower than previous seasons.

I just know that over the years, he's been consistently fast.

i honestly have never thought of cleary as fast as all, for as much as he's getting mentioned here. i've never thought of him as SLOW, per se...but just average like hank or sammy or someone

Cleary isn't "OH MY GOD, LOOK AT HIM GO" fast.. but he has his moments where when he takes off, he really takes off. It doesn't happen a lot, but when it does, he has this astounding burst of speed.

I'd say the fastest guys on the team are Brett Lebda and Darren Helm. I'd love it if the Wings did like alot of other clubs and did the team skills competition for charity. That would be a lot of fun to watch, and would help us settle the argument.

Fedorov is still one of the five fastest guys in the league, but he's noticeably slower than he used to be...and he wasn't as fast as Mike Gartner, who set the record in fastest skater by a hair ahead of Sergei, in 1996. Fedorov had just minutes earlier tied Gartner's record, which was set three years before in 1993 and was only a hair faster than Fedorov's winning time in 1994.

Superskills stuff

The people in the Draper camp are effing crazy. He's so slow. He had mad wheels in the 90's. But he's nothing incredible anymore in the speed department. Maybe a step ahead the average player.

Fedorov is still one of the five fastest guys in the league, but he's noticeably slower than he used to be...and he wasn't as fast as Mike Gartner, who set the record in fastest skater by a hair ahead of Sergei, in 1996. Fedorov had just minutes earlier tied Gartner's record, which was set three years before in 1993 and was only a hair faster than Fedorov's winning time in 1994.

Superskills stuff

Mike Gartner!!!! Jeez Louise! I'd completely forgotten about captain "lock for HOF, but utterly vanilla!" Good call, eva -- that dude could sail. Honestly, what was it about him that made him so unremarkable despite his obviously remarkable achievements? I mean, the guy makes Ron Francis look like Neon Deion.

The fastest ever might be Russ Courtnall. Haven't seen his name in this thread.

Overall though, the fastest in the league might be Matthew Lombardi.

The fastest ever might be Russ Courtnall. Haven't seen his name in this thread.

Overall though, the fastest in the league might be Matthew Lombardi.

Thank You! If you look back in the thread I have said his name twice!