• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
betterREDthandead

2009 NASCAR thread

Rate this topic

Just a couple weeks to go for Daytona.

Looking forward to seeing some of the new lineups. All these mergers won't really affect the top of the heap, but the middle of the pack should be more competitive. (Fewer Dodges out there, too. Running a Dodge is like having one less cylinder.) There's really only about 36 regular running cars from last year, so a lot of room for new field fillers.

I'm still pissed about Robby going to Toyota though. Til he switches manufacturers again (I think this is his fourth in as many years) I'll still be following him, but my new favorite is Juan Pablo Montoya. Also pulling for Tony Stewart and his new race team.

timothy made the right champion call at the start of the season last year. Hard to go against JJ this time around too. He's like the Nick Lidstrom of drivers. Boring as hell and always out front.

It will be interesting to see what Stewart and Newman does with their new teams this year. I never think it's a good idea to own a team for a driver, but on the other hand Stewart is now the highest paid driver so I can't blame him. I'm somewhat pissed, because my best friend bought me a Bristol ticket, but I have to go to Detroit to work at the CCHA championship but I guess neither is a bad option.

I think Stewart will do very well. Maybe even make the Chase. You take a driver the caliber of Tony Stewart and you put him in Hendrick Chevys, which is what his team is getting, he's going to get himself around the track. It won't surprise me at all if/when he wins a race or three this year.

Who I want to win it all this year?? Watch out for Dale Jr, Edwards, and Harvick. All way overdue for a championship....especially Edwards.

Who will win it all this year? money is still on JJ.

I am not sure how you beat JJ bc the dude just doesn't crack. It's not always pretty and he doesnt always win but slow and steady always wins these championships.

I think Stewart will do ok, near the top 10 but not top 5 for the season.

Oh and who I really want to see win a championship Mark Martin...even tho it probably wont happen.

Who I want to win it all this year?? Watch out for Dale Jr, Edwards, and Harvick. All way overdue for a championship....especially Edwards.

Who will win it all this year? money is still on JJ.

I am not sure how you beat JJ bc the dude just doesn't crack. It's not always pretty and he doesnt always win but slow and steady always wins these championships.

I think Stewart will do ok, near the top 10 but not top 5 for the season.

Oh and who I really want to see win a championship Mark Martin...even tho it probably wont happen.

I love your last point, and as for Jr. if he can just be consistent is a good dark horse pick in my opinion.

It must be NASCAR season. Tony Stewart (who I'm actually liking more and more as time goes on) is bitching about the tires, and Kyle Busch is once again passive-aggressively whining about someone else driving the way he drives. Li'l *****. Kind of a disappointing finish to the 500 yesterday, but then again any race in which one single accident wrecks up every single car in Toyota's top two teams (except for one, which was already smashed up) is a plus in my book. And for the record, Vickers shares equal blame in that pileup with Junior.

I'm a dodge guy.I've always liked the evernham stable mostly because of my all-time favorite driver Bill Elliott driving there for years.When Petty and Gem merged it was awesome for me,it combined my two favorite teams into one.I do wish that they'd axe sadler and/or sorrenson and move Aj(along with his crew chief and engineers) to the 19 or 43 so he could preform better.He gets going,gets in the top 15,then pits,and falls back to 20th,works his way past everybody again and another pitstop.Aj and Kahne are my guys.Heres hoping that one,or both can make the chase this year.

that was a great quote,however it isn't nearly as good as the all-star race a few years ago when the busch brothers wrecked each other."So how do you feel about the fact that your brother wrecked you?" "well,i won't be eating any frosted flakes for a while,that's for sure."

But I'm glad to see Mark get a win,he deserves a championship more than any other driver out there,maybe a win is the first step to getting a win.Btw,haha jr,what's it like to from top driver to 4th?

WOW how about the Michigan native Brad Keselowski with the win at Talladega after Carl tries to block him! Too bad Keselowski's only a part-time driver, cause he's the only Michigander in the series, but maybe he'll be in a full-time ride soon. That'd be sweet.

Pretty spectacular crash for Carl, too. Don't see too many cars go airborne any more with the CoT. Exciting finish to the race.

JPM is 14th in the standings and only 43 points out of 12th, and the first road race of the season is coming up. Looking forward to seeing Juan Pablo in the Chase standings. Be nice if it stays that way the rest of the season, too.

Would it be fair to call JPM the most improved driver in the series? Aside from late last season when he intentionally spun Shrub after the race, I can't remember the last time he took someone out. And he's in prime position to make the Chase, despite being in inferior equipment to most of the top guys.

He pissed me off for awhile since he kept taking Harvick out, but I always liked him when he was in IndyCar, and once he spun Shrub, I was back in his corner. I'm glad to see him doing well.

Would it be fair to call JPM the most improved driver in the series? Aside from late last season when he intentionally spun Shrub after the race, I can't remember the last time he took someone out. And he's in prime position to make the Chase, despite being in inferior equipment to most of the top guys.

He pissed me off for awhile since he kept taking Harvick out, but I always liked him when he was in IndyCar, and once he spun Shrub, I was back in his corner. I'm glad to see him doing well.

Actually I think the equipment is at least half the reason he is where he is. He's gone from Dodge to Chevy, which is an outhouse-to-penthouse kind of switch. But he's definitely changing his mindset too.

P.S. he intentionally spun Shrub during a race too, last year at some point.

I don't know if he's just matured now that he's a car owner or what, but I think Stewart is starting to "get it". I think I've only called him a prick a couple times this year and for the most part he's come across as pretty likeable. He even gave Kahne credit for that performance Sunday. Or maybe it's that I've grown to dislike a half-dozen or more guys even more than I dislike Stewart. (You can start with Shrub, Hornish, Kenseth, Biffle, Regan, Hamlin, and Gilliland.)

I don't know if he's just matured now that he's a car owner or what, but I think Stewart is starting to "get it". I think I've only called him a prick a couple times this year and for the most part he's come across as pretty likeable. He even gave Kahne credit for that performance Sunday. Or maybe it's that I've grown to dislike a half-dozen or more guys even more than I dislike Stewart. (You can start with Shrub, Hornish, Kenseth, Biffle, Regan, Hamlin, and Gilliland.)

Curious, what you have against the other six besides Shrub? Most of 'em come off to me as pretty bland, mildly likeable but hard to hate. Especially Kenseth, Biffle, Hamlin, and Ragan. If there's one criticism I have it's that they're too bland, but it's hard to hold that against 'em. Hornish, I can sorta see just because he really seems out of his league in Sprint Cup and should probably go back to IRL. But I pull for him a little bit 'cause I always root for Penske cars.

Since NASCAR started on TNT I love it. I've been a Kyle Petty fan for over 15 years (He was a stud when I started following him). This is the most I've seen him on TV during a race in probably 10 years!!! Yes he's in the booth now, but still... His final 4-5 years driving you wouldn't even see his car on TV all race unless he wrecked.