• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
betterREDthandead

2009 NASCAR thread

Rate this topic

Sorry to say people, but nascar is not a sport. Turn left and drive fast is not very athletic.

To that I say go find a go-kart track (not one by a mini golf course that you'd take your kid to) and give it a try. I just was at this place called Sugar River Raceway in Wisconsin where quite a few racecar drivers have gotten their start (Danica for sure, I think Travis Kvapil.....there were others). It's an 11-turn, .42 mile track and the karts hit 55 on the straightaway. We did it for like 25 minutes and I was wiped out. The next day, muscles I didn't even know I had were hurting. The bumps were just killer....And that's about one bajillionth of what the real guys go through. It gave me new appreciation for how tough it can be.

Add in 100+ degree temperatures, 500 miles every week, you're not being successful unless you're an athlete. There's a reason these guys train as much as they do. You'd never make it if you were out of shape. It ain't like taking your sedan out and hanging a left onto John R.

There's a helluva lot more that goes into it than drive fast, turn left.

Oh look they took my posts out because they didn't like the facts that nascar is not a sport.. OOHHHH did someone's racer not finish first, you must have been rooting for jimmie johnson right. Next time teach him "how to read the gas gauage"

Oh look they took my posts out because they didn't like the facts that nascar is not a sport.. OOHHHH did someone's racer not finish first, you must have been rooting for jimmie johnson right. Next time teach him "how to read the gas gauage"

You're basically trolling the thread. That's why they got removed. Mine too: I started falling for your s***, and we're not gonna take the thread that direction. Forum rules: learn 'em, live 'em, love 'em. There's your warning.

That really is beautiful that Shrub missed the Chase. I've never wanted Harvick to stay behind someone before, but I was yelling at the TV for him to drop back when he was trying to pass Vickers in the closing laps.

Go Gordon, Montoya, and Martin!!

That really is beautiful that Shrub missed the Chase. I've never wanted Harvick to stay behind someone before, but I was yelling at the TV for him to drop back when he was trying to pass Vickers in the closing laps.

Go Gordon, Montoya, and Martin!!

Juan Pablo!!! It'll be interesting to see how he does now that he's in. Last two months all you ever heard when they patched in to his radio was "think Chase, think Chase, think Chase." He started to unleash a little bit of the old aggressiveness at Atlanta but once he got back into the top 8 or so, "think Chase, think Chase." Time to turn him loose so he can drive the way I liked watching him drive in the first place.

In reverse order, here's who I'm pulling for:

T-12: Hamlin and Vickers. Toyotas.

T-10: Gordon and Johnson. Pulling for them is like rooting for the Yankees and Red Sox.

8: Biffle. Meh. Couldn't really get much more meh without being Matt Kenseth (who I was sorry to see miss the Chase though as it opened up the door for another Toyota.)

7: Newman. Good to see an underdog in the Chase.

6. Kahne. Even bigger underdog. Kind of hard not to pull for him given the craziness surrounding his team and the fact that (I think) he's in inferior equipment to everyone else.

5. Martin. Easy guy to root for. Good to see the old man get a shot at this. I always have a soft spot for guys with the label "the best to never win it all."

4. Stewart. I used to be really bugged by Stewart, and he still gets really petulant sometimes. But he's definitely a personality in the garage, races his ass off every race, and I like driver-owners. It also certainly helps that he wanted to get out of a Toyota and back into a Chevy.

3. Edwards. Always liked Cousin Carl. The dude manages to have personality without being a dick. See, it's not so hard, Kyle. Carl speaks his mind without coming across like a whiner. Plus he races like drivers should race. Never gives up an inch.

2. Kurt Busch. Gotta love the Blue Deuce. Busch is OK on his own merits but really it's Penske that I'm pulling for here.

1. Juan Pablo!!

Damn damn damn - JPM came so damn close to winning yesterday. That was a fun race though. You could tell JPM was back in take-no-prisoners mode. Fun to watch him drive like that. It's why I'm a fan.

Anyone see his postrace interview? You could tell just how conflicted he was about bumping Martin. I think any other driver, he'd have nudged out of the way, but he's got too much respect for Mark Martin to do that. Gonna be a great Chase if the races keep coming down to the wire among the contenders like that.