• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown_Ryan

Schnieder to return?

Rate this topic

Scott Burnside reports Detroit Red Wings Ken Holland doesn’t have a lot of available cap space but will work the phones in search of some defensive depth. Burnside suggests Holland might take a long look at the Thrashers’ Mathieu Schneider.

I saw this On Spectorshockeynet Here is the Link

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index.php?op...s&Itemid=55

Thoughts?

I Guess Stuart isnt coming back anytime soon?????

How can that Happen..... Schnieds has a 5+ million salary.... NO ROOM at all!

Edited by Hockeytown_Ryan

It may be more of a depth move.

I'd question the appropriateness of that move, though. Schneids is experienced and a decent offensive talent for a D, but he's 39. Exactly how long will he still be playing? I'd offer a contract for this year and the playoffs only, then reevaluate.

I don't see the sense in this. Schneider makes way too much money, even pro-rated, and even if it does work financially, it doesn't make any sense. If the Wings want veteran depth, they have it in Chelios, and in spades throughout the roster. If they want defensive depth in general, they have it in Lebda, Chelios, Meech, and Ericsson.

The only way Holland is "working the phones" for a defenseman is if it is to swap a substantial piece to the Wings puzzle. Our defensive dpeth in Lilja, Lebda, Meech, and even Chelios has not been the problem defensively. Its been the 2nd pairing and Rafalski on occasion, but mostly Kronwall and Stuart. Kronwall won't get traded, and it'll be hard to trade Stuart when hes injured.

The only thing that would make any sense in my mind would be something like a Stuart for Salei or O'Donnell swap, which wouldn't cost them much in the way of defensive capabilities and physicality with the way Stuart has been playing, and would alleviate cap constraints somewhat that would allow them to be bigger players at the deadline, and aid in retaining our forwards up front.

It may be more of a depth move.

I'd question the appropriateness of that move, though. Schneids is experienced and a decent offensive talent for a D, but he's 39. Exactly how long will he still be playing? I'd offer a contract for this year and the playoffs only, then reevaluate.

Schneider has a contract. And its earning him 5.625M this year. And what offense exactly are you speaking of? Schneider has 11 points in 39 games, along with being -13, and having a whopping 5.7 shooting %.

Unless Rafalski suffers a season ending injury, no thanks to Schneider under any circumstances.

Agreed..In fact, even if Rafalski suffered such an injury, I'd look elsewhere. I have nightmares about again seeing an opponent score a critical goal and the first Redwing you see in the picture is Schneider. The offense he adds (or used to add) are more than offset by his defensive liabilities. No under any circumstance.

I dont know much about the way trades go in the NHL. But would the Red Wings be responsible for the remainder of his salary or will ATL?

(if something were to happen with this deal)

We would pay a pro-rated portion ... basically, we'd pay the part of the contract for when he's here. We could likely afford it at the deadline, but as others have posted, I'm not sure why we need him.

I don't know why either... But its hard to Ignore this Im sure Holland is'nt looking here for thoughts on this deal, If he does do something he has more cap room than i thought if Stuart is on IR right?

And Schneider did have career years playing here Im not saying he is all that great ..BUT the players we have here would (and did) make him better..

Edited by Hockeytown_Ryan

I don't know why either... But its hard to Ignore this Im sure Holland is'nt looking here for thoughts on this deal, If he does do something he has more cap room than i thought if Stuart is on IR right?

Yes, his salary doesn't count against the cap while he's on LTIR, but we've used a little bit of that space on Helm/Leino/Abdelkader/Downey ...

At this point it's just speculation. At one point or another I think they've speculated that we were interested in bringing back everyone who ever played for us and left ...

Kronwall won't get traded, and it'll be hard to trade Stuart when hes injured.

The only thing that would make any sense in my mind would be something like a Stuart for Salei or O'Donnell swap, which wouldn't cost them much in the way of defensive capabilities and physicality with the way Stuart has been playing, and would alleviate cap constraints somewhat that would allow them to be bigger players at the deadline, and aid in retaining our forwards up front.

Stuart has a NTC, won't be going anywhere.

Is now a bad time to say that I miss Aaron Downey?

Now that would actually make more sence than Schnider, hell Larry murphy could lace em up and play and I be more happy than I would be if we got Schnider back he has no post season success with this team.

Suprising number of people s***ting on Schneider considering the various clutch goals he scored, especially during a time when everyone HATED Lilja. 164 points in 231 games to be exact.

As for relying on Chelios for veteran depth, I wouldn't rely on him to do anything more than carry extra sticks out to the bench during the playoffs. He is DONE.

(This doesn't mean I think the Wings' will get Schneider back anyway)

Scott Burnside reports Detroit Red Wings Ken Holland doesn’t have a lot of available cap space but will work the phones in search of some defensive depth. Burnside suggests Holland might take a long look at the Thrashers’ Mathieu Schneider.

I saw this On Spectorshockeynet Here is the Link

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index.php?op...s&Itemid=55

Thoughts?

I Guess Stuart isnt coming back anytime soon?????

How can that Happen..... Schnieds has a 5+ million salary.... NO ROOM at all!

Pro-rated. Holland would pick him up at the deadline, and that'd most likely be in a case where someone is on LTIR until the playoffs start ;)

I can't see too much of need for a Schnieder type player, but he certainly couldn't hurt the second power play.

Spector is a respected trade deadline rumour guy. He's the anti-Ecklund.

Suprising number of people s***ting on Schneider considering the various clutch goals he scored, especially during a time when everyone HATED Lilja. 164 points in 231 games to be exact.

As for relying on Chelios for veteran depth, I wouldn't rely on him to do anything more than carry extra sticks out to the bench during the playoffs. He is DONE.

(This doesn't mean I think the Wings' will get Schneider back anyway)

If you leave Detroit during free agency half the fans will suddenly think you're a piece of s***. :rolleyes:

If you leave Detroit during free agency half the fans will suddenly think you're a piece of s***. :rolleyes:

I was never a fan of Schnieder, as I always saw him as a player who was too willing to sacrifice the defensive position for a possible offensive opportunity. And I've seen this result in a goal against the Wings many times.

If I were to see a situation that would call for a trade that would bring in Mathieu Schneider, it would be something like this:

Brian Rafalski or Niklas Kronwall is injured close to the trade deadline to such a state that he may be out for the season. The Wings would be looking to replace that power-play quarterback if something like that happened. But that's not currently the situation.

Burnside is where this rumor comes from, so he might be looking at Brad Stuart on the injured list and trying to start a rumor. Scott Burnside has, IMHO, never been very good with rumors involving the Red Wings organization, so regardless of whether it's on Spector's site or not, it's crap.