• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
pjgj13

Gretzky

Rate this topic

Guest Shoreline
He's always been that way - even as a player. I guess I just didn't expect anything else from him. There's a number of coaches who aren't afraid of vocalizing their opposition.

Ever wondered what Patrick Roy was like coaching his son's games? :P

Indeed. I guess I just got used to coaches throwing fits. Joe Q, Hartley, and Crawford were great with their antics, not to mention Kocur and other assistants chair throwing antics. We need more of that. :lol:

Edit: Confused the chair thrower.

Edited by Shoreline

I agree with you here too. There were several poor penalties call on both teams but the last one cost Phoenix the game. Gretzky did what every coach would do in an emotional game like that, he felt the ref's needed to hear his opinion and he gave it to them. What would people rather him do? Stand there with a puzzled look on his face while stroking his mustache like Dave Lewis used to do.... see where that type of coaching got him. It was a weak penalty at a crucial point in a tight game that ultimately cost them 2 points.

Haha it did make Dave Lewis seem more scholarly when he stroked that mustache. I can't, however, support a man who's mustache shrunk in width every year until it was dangerously close to the forbidden mustache.

Why do people keep comparing coaches to hockey fans?

Good coaches like Babcock keep their protests within reason. Wayne looked like a crazed parent spitting hot-dogs at a junior game.

Exactly...rarely if ever will you see Babcock flipping out like this, or publicly complaining to the media about officiating.

Indeed. I guess I just got used to coaches throwing fits. Joe Q, Hartley, and Crawford were great with their antics, not to mention Kocur and other assistants chair throwing antics. We need more of that. :lol:

Edit: Confused the chair thrower.

:lol: I remember hearing about Kocur and the infamous chair and thinking "What a badass."

I wonder what happened to him. He disappeared.

Exactly...rarely if ever will you see Babcock flipping out like this, or publicly complaining to the media about officiating.

Every coach is different.. just like every boss is different. They won't always react to things in the same manner.

For example, I could always tell when Bowman was getting really pissed off about something by the ferocity with which he chewed his ice cubes.

With Gretzky? It's how quick he is to stand on the player's bench. :P

I am sorry, and i am probably going to get a lot of s*** for this.

I think Gretzky is Waaaaaaaaaay over-rated.

When Howe retired, his number didn't get retired league wide, he held alot of records before wayne did. WTF is that?

Gretzky isn't half the leader guys like Lemiux, Yzerman, Iglinla, Modano are.

Why isn't #9, 19, 66 Retired league wide.

Is 99 the only one who has that right?

He never played for the wings, but a wing cannot wear number 99, but somebody in washinton can wear 19, 66, or 9?

WTF People.

Yes, it was mistake to retire his number league-wide

I agree. Retiring a number is something special to a team. Gretzky started team hopping at the end of his career in hopes of finding a coup and made it so he didn't really have a team, oh well, maybe Edmonton would want to retire his number or something.

Guest E_S_A_D

Whether Gretzky was right or wong, I wish Babcock showed half that emotion once in a blue moon.

Gretzky overrated? Holy s***, 92 goals in one season, 163 points in one season, record of 215 points in one season. That doesn't even include the playoffs, how do you overrate that? I don't think people get it, here's an example, in`84-`85 he finished with 208 points, Jari Kurri 2nd in the league with 135 points! I don't like the guy as a coach but christ, waaaaay overrated?! Unreal is the only word to come to mind.

When Howe retired, his number didn't get retired league wide, he held alot of records before wayne did. WTF is that?

He never played for the wings, but a wing cannot wear number 99, but somebody in washinton can wear 19, 66, or 9?

WTF People.

WTF are you talking about?! You're comparing Wayne Gretzky to Mike Modano and Jarome Iginla! What leadership? What did he ever say to you in a locker room? Why am I the only person blasting you? What you need to do is open up a book, since you have no idea about any history in hockey.

Edited by I Red Wings I

WTF People.

Yzerman and Lemieux did not accomplish nearly as much in their careers, but if anyone else deserves it, is is Gordie Howe.

I think it had a lot to do with the number 99 as well, no one else really wore it and it was instantly identifiable as Gretzky.

The Rocket and Bobby Hull wore #9, amongst several other Hall of Famers -- not everyone thinkos of Howe as #9.

Edited by egroen

While I disagree with retiring Gretzky's number league wide, he's almost in a league of his own. You absolutely cannot compare guys like Iginla or Modano to Gretzky or you come off looking foolish, like you did just now. You even compare Gretzky to Yzerman, who many don't even think was the best player on his team during his era (Lidstrom). You might be able to make a case for Lemieux, Howe, or Orr being comparable to Gretzky, but it's so difficult to compare players from different eras; the only one from the same era, Lemieux, probably has the weakest case for it.

Almost 900 goals (nearly 100 goals more than a guy playing 300 more games than him), over 2800 points, almost two points per game in both the playoffs and regular season. He re-wrote the record book, and I'm not sure that can be overrated. I can't believe people get on Gretzky for being protected by an enforcer rather than doing the job himself. A guy with that much skill has no reason to be fighting; he's the last guy you want in the box. More often than not, Gretzky's job on the PK would be to nab a shorthanded goal.

For the record, I really dislike Gretzky; maybe it's the way the league babied him. But honestly, I don't think we'll be seeing another player with a career like Gretzky's ever again, even with the league moving towards more scoring.

Well, ok, i admit he was the best in goals department.. but how can anybody even think he had more heart than yzerman.

he gave everything he had every ******* night. Stevie played games on one leg alot of times, and gretzky would have sat in the locker room like a *****.

IMO Yzerman is 10 times the player gretzky was, because players like him have qualities that players like gretzky don't.

Heart

Leadership

Dedication to one team, and the city he calls home.

I've always had this semi-irrational hate for Gretzky but for some reason I've always sort of liked Phoenix. But the combo sort of sucks because I automatically don't care what happens with Phoenix because Gretzky is part of the team.

Well, ok, i admit he was the best in goals department.. but how can anybody even think he had more heart than yzerman.

he gave everything he had every ******* night. Stevie played games on one leg alot of times, and gretzky would have sat in the locker room like a *****.

IMO Yzerman is 10 times the player gretzky was, because players like him have qualities that players like gretzky don't.

Heart

Leadership

Dedication to one team, and the city he calls home.

If you remember correctly, the Oilers were in financial trouble and traded Gretzky because the Kings offered 10M in cash as part of the deal. Who says Gretzky wanted to be traded? And what about Gretzky gives you the impression that he played with no heart and determination? And who says he wasn't a good leader?

Edited by Yzerman191

If you remember correctly, the Oilers were in financial trouble and traded Gretzky because the Kings offered 10M in cash as part of the deal. Who says Gretzky wanted to be traded? And what about Gretzky gives you the impression that he played with heart and determination? And who says he wasn't a good leader?

Ah you beat me to it. :thumbup: