• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Echolalia

Info on nhl tv deal

Rate this topic

I don't know how many people are familiar with Yahoo Answers, but someone recently asked a question about why the nhl has the tv deal it currently has, and when the fans can expect something better. The "best answer" had some pretty interesting information in it, and is quoted below, but take it with a grain of salt, as anyone can post pretty much whatever they want, truthful or not. I do know, however, that there is someone who claims to work for the nhl that posts answers regularly at Yahoo.com, and many of his answers have been verified by other people (ie rumors that have come true, crazy statistics, etc), so its most likely true that that person does have inside sources at the very least. I don't know if that person is the one who answered this question, but its worth the read regardless.

"Nothing is going to happen for a couple more years.

It also depends on what you consider to be the big national deal.

Currently Versus has 100% penetration in all US NHL television markets. The major complaint that people have is that they don't get Versus. In 99% of the cases, they can get Versus, but they have to pay for it (not part of basic/extended packages). The NHL's stance is that if you want to watch hockey, you have to pay for the privilege.

Some facts

- no over the air network in the US (ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX) is going to broadcast more than one game a week. All are willing to show one game a week.

- the NHL is looking for a network that will show the widest variety of games. ESPN will only show games involving one of Rangers/Flyers/Penguins/Red Wings/Kings/Stars. If those teams are not involved, ESPN claims they can't sell advertising (although Vs has proven that you can sell advertising to a Hurricanes/Panthers game).

The NHL wants the following

- at least 3 games a week

- all 30 teams must be shown at least twice

- at least $2MM/team per year (the last ESPN offer was for less than $400K/team per year)

Other facts

- several US based teams are NOT willing to share their telecasts with a national provoder (San Jose and Anaheim fall into this category)

The current Vs/NBC deal pays the NHL upwards of $110MM over 3 years - making it potentially the largest TV contract the league has had (the talks with ESPN last spring were still well below that level).

The primary difference between ESPN and Vs is that ESPN is available on 97% of basic/extended cable and VS is about 60%. Both networks have 99% US coverage if people pay for it (and the NHL governors aren't into giving away their product).

The NHL is slowly moving away from the the idea of a National telecast and is looking at a pay per view model based on NHL Centre Ice/Game Centre as combined viewership of a game on Centre Ice is generally more than an ESPN/Vs game would be."

The NHL is slowly moving away from the the idea of a National telecast and is looking at a pay per view model based on NHL Centre Ice/Game Centre as combined viewership of a game on Centre Ice is generally more than an ESPN/Vs game would be."

The Datsyerberger is slowly moving away from the idea of watching hockey on cable and is looking at NHL games on internet streams.

That's a horribly fan unfriendly model. Every other major sport has availability on networks which come in a basic cable package. Even most of the 2nd/3rd tier sports have that.

I know that Bettman mainly represents the owners, which is why I want to give Bettman a representative kick in the jewels.

Quite frankly that sounds retarded. Making people pay-per-view? I wouldn't even do that for the Wings, to be honest. It's not like I have any disposable income at all, let alone when I can watch the games free online. Of course, if they find a way to shut those down...well, then I'd have to go to bars or read the online recaps, to be honest.

- the NHL is looking for a network that will show the widest variety of games. ESPN will only show games involving one of Rangers/Flyers/Penguins/Red Wings/Kings/Stars. If those teams are not involved, ESPN claims they can't sell advertising (although Vs has proven that you can sell advertising to a Hurricanes/Panthers game).

Maybe the league will clue in and get rid of about 4-6 franchises. Funny they thought adding US markets would get them a National TV Contract, instead it's the opposite.

Quite frankly that sounds retarded. Making people pay-per-view? I wouldn't even do that for the Wings, to be honest. It's not like I have any disposable income at all, let alone when I can watch the games free online. Of course, if they find a way to shut those down...well, then I'd have to go to bars or read the online recaps, to be honest.

I get what you're saying, but right now I pay-per-view.

Most people call it Center Ice.

I don't live in the FSD market area, so in order to see Wings games (that aren't on Vs./NBC), this is what I have to do. Luckily, I have enough disposible income to allow that. I also like being able to watch the majority of the games in HD, from the comfort of my own keg cooler/couch.

What's the big deal about national broadcasts. For the most part, people like a team they live close too. And for those people, they can watch almost every game on their local sports channel. And for the people who don't like the team closest to them (like me) they watch the streams, or pay for Center ice. Sure I'll watch a random game if it's on, but if the NHL thinks their going to grow the game by broadcasting a Rangers-New Jersey game (or whatever) every week, it'll never work.

And pulling the plug on Phoenix is not a "failure" for the NHL. It's just good business. If a team isn't making money, and has never made money, then relocate it, or just remove it completely. Less teams isn't a bad thing. And a few national telecasts isn't going to magically increase the revenue for these dieing markets.

Edited by TheOwl

I get what you're saying, but right now I pay-per-view.

Most people call it Center Ice.

I don't live in the FSD market area, so in order to see Wings games (that aren't on Vs./NBC), this is what I have to do. Luckily, I have enough disposible income to allow that. I also like being able to watch the majority of the games in HD, from the comfort of my own keg cooler/couch.

Same here, I watch the games on Center Ice. It is still cheaper than going to one game per year, and I get to keep up with my team for 6 months out of the year.

What's the big deal about national broadcasts. For the most part, people like a team they live close too. And for those people, they can watch almost every game on their local sports channel. And for the people who don't like the team closest to them (like me) they watch the streams, or pay for Center ice. Sure I'll watch a random game if it's on, but if the NHL thinks their going to grow the game by broadcasting a Rangers-New Jersey game (or whatever) every week, it'll never work.

And pulling the plug on Phoenix is not a "failure" for the NHL. It's just good business. If a team isn't making money, and has never made money, then relocate it, or just remove it completely. Less teams isn't a bad thing. And a few national telecasts isn't going to magically increase the revenue for these dieing markets.

I agree, even if they had a deal with ESPN or someone else where they showed more games I would still get Center Ice because I want all the Wings games, I prefer Mickey and Kenny over any of the National showing commentators, and I want to watch hockey every night of the week even if the Wings aren't on. I hope they can continue to get better and better TV deals and more exposure on a national level but I'll still stick with Center Ice.

Keep this up and the largest national network for NHL coverage is going to be ATDHE.

LOL!

in all seriousness, their stream quality is quite good!

but about the topic,

wow i hope that post doesn't have any truth in it, but i wouldn't be entirely surprised.

the NHL says that Versus is "available" in 99% of the US market, but the TRUTH in the matter is that it's available in 99% of the market if you get higher end cable. That logic is absolutely retarded. the NHL is telling a half-truth, and it just makes me irritated. i LOVE the NHL and will watch it anyway i can, but lets get real, there is a group of NHL teams that get way way way too much airtime on the national broadcasts on Versus and NBC (you know who!) for example, this is the 2nd week in a row that the Devils have been on a Versus game ,that's just silly. i think Versus needs to open up more coverage and have more double headers like CBC does every single weekend. Also, the NHL needs to do something to get Versus on more BASIC cable channels, it's just common knowledge to know that not everyone has digital in every room or even in their home to begin with.

Edited by kylee

I agree, even if they had a deal with ESPN or someone else where they showed more games I would still get Center Ice because I want all the Wings games, I prefer Mickey and Kenny over any of the National showing commentators, and I want to watch hockey every night of the week even if the Wings aren't on. I hope they can continue to get better and better TV deals and more exposure on a national level but I'll still stick with Center Ice.

Mickey and Kenny are by far the best hockey announcers. The coverage is never overly biased, or positive towards the Wings. It's all very modest, funny and entertaining. Seems like everyone working for the Ilitch family is the best in the league at what they do.

Sounds good to me - so fans of all the popular teams get screwed because Bettman wants to force an audience for Atlanta vs Florida games. Great so we are stuck with Versus because of this. Maybe people watching the Wings vs. Pens will become more interested in the game and actually want to watch the Thrashers-Panthers. <_<

Why doesn't the NHL Network show a game every night? I mean they are, afterall, the NHL Network. Seems the NFL Network showed games all the time. But I digress. Make Fox Sports Detroit a national network and then everyone will see the wings and love them.

edit: Ken and Mickey are awesome

Edited by Spinner

The only rumor a while ago was that ESPN would take over the NBC coverage basically but that VS had to sign off on it since they have exclusive cable rights. I would have no problem with this if it means getting rid of Pierre Maguire. VS is getting better personally now that he isn't on it and their studio/studio crew doesn't look like something from public access that m area HS could put together like they did that first year.

I have VS on my cable and to be honest I consider it more of an Ultimate Fighting channel than a hockey channel. I don't know how to fix it but I just picked up a 24" monitor and internet feeds just got a whole lot more fun to watch. No one wants to hear it but maybe it's just not in the cards for America to get turned on to hockey. I'm so grateful to have grown up with CBC's Hockey Night in Canada, what's bad is while I get VS with my provider I don't get CBC anymore. Sad panda me.

If you upgrade your cable package to get the NHL Network (not the Center Ice package...which IS amazing and is quite a steal price-wise btw)..they grab the Hockey Night in Canada feed on Saturdays and occasional games during the week.

I have VS on my cable and to be honest I consider it more of an Ultimate Fighting channel than a hockey channel. I don't know how to fix it but I just picked up a 24" monitor and internet feeds just got a whole lot more fun to watch. No one wants to hear it but maybe it's just not in the cards for America to get turned on to hockey. I'm so grateful to have grown up with CBC's Hockey Night in Canada, what's bad is while I get VS with my provider I don't get CBC anymore. Sad panda me.

If you upgrade your cable package to get the NHL Network (not the Center Ice package...which IS amazing and is quite a steal price-wise btw)..they grab the Hockey Night in Canada feed on Saturdays and occasional games during the week.

I'm upgraded as far as I can go short of the HBO/Cinemax tier. After HBO cancelled Deadwood :angry: I swore I'd never pay them again. It's one promise I intend to keep :ranting:

For people like me, spending money on Center Ice isn't an option right now. So online streams like the ones that have been discussed already are how I can watch the Red Wings. I would love it if the NHL could make their games more accessible to people, rather than forcing them to pay exorbitant prices just for the privilege. Although for right now, the site-with-streams-that-shall-not-be-named is how I'll watch my team.

I'm upgraded as far as I can go short of the HBO/Cinemax tier. After HBO cancelled Deadwood :angry: I swore I'd never pay them again. It's one promise I intend to keep :ranting:

My dad canceled HBO after they canceled Deadwood. He was using filthier words than Al Swearengen, if you can believe it!