• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hank

Hossa to Sign Soon?

Rate this topic

Probably true, but even moreso disappointed that Fil is still around and potentially Franzen and Hudler are not.

I'm really disappointed that so many people on here either don't understand 5th grade math or chose to ignore it.

Flip = $3M

Franzen = $4M

Hudler = $3M

$3M<>$7M

So to compare Flip to Mule and Hudler is, well...it doesn't add up. If you want to say that you are will be disappointed that Hudler is gone and Flip is still here, that's your opinion but Hudler and Mule aren't going to be gone just because we kept Flip.

Exactly. None of us "hate" Flip, I don't think. I'd love for him to stay on this roster.

But push come to shove, when you have to make the best team out of limited roster space and cap space, keeping Flip while letting Franzen and Hudler go is a mistake. Especially if we lose Franzen first, there's no excuse for not keeping Hudler over Flip. Flip will never develop here. He could be great somewhere else, but he won't be here. He's a good player, but that's all he'll ever be here, and we need to keep players who could potentially be great, like Hudler. I would imagine that with a year under his belt, Leino would be filling Flips role pretty well.

People, Huds is a restricted free agent. The only way he goes anywhere is if somebody drops an offer sheet on him and that is very unlikely to happen. The only other possibility is if he goes to arbitration and Kenny decides not to pay the ruling. This has happened what twice in the entire league since the lockout. It just isn't gonna happen so let's stop with the losing Hudler comments. Edited by chrisdetroit

It's was well known at the time when Franzen signed his original extension that his agent was playing real hardball and made it absolute hell to get a checking line player with little to no offensive upside signed for $900k. I assure you that he didn't have a crystal ball that told him of Mule's future goal scoring prowess. No one knew he was capable of that- hell the last time he was known for scoring was in his early teens.

I wouldn't call his agent 'money grubbing' but reports coming from the negotiations frequently alluded to or spoke directly of how difficult it was to get Franzen for that number. And Franzen's contract was certainly not a hometown discount based on the situation when it was signed.

He scored 12 goals on the 4th line. He was fast, defensively sound, huge, great shot, somewhat physical. I'm pretty sure most everyone knew he wouldn't be a 4th liner for the balance of his career. The very next season he pretty much doubled his offensive output.

And even $900K is underpaid for a 3rd liner. His agent had to work like hell, but still Kenny got a steal of a deal.

People, Huds is a restricted free agent. The only way he goes anywhere is if somebody drops an offer sheet on him and that is very unlikely to happen.

What makes you say this is unlikely to happen?

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHA Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight..

Never mind the grooming of Zetterberg, up to and including the longest contract in franchise history - yeah, the "C" is going to Hossa.

Seriously, where do you people get this stuff??

IF he stays and continues to be a stand up guy on the ice and in the locker room, I could see an "A", but THE "C"?? Over Hank? Never.

Exactly! And even if Z went free after this year and Hossa and the mule signed, Datsyuk would still be up for the C before anyone else.

I'm really disappointed that so many people on here either don't understand 5th grade math or chose to ignore it.

Flip = $3M

Franzen = $4M

Hudler = $3M

$3M<>$7M

So to compare Flip to Mule and Hudler is, well...it doesn't add up. If you want to say that you are will be disappointed that Hudler is gone and Flip is still here, that's your opinion but Hudler and Mule aren't going to be gone just because we kept Flip.

I can see Flip being traded either at this deadline or next years. More so next years. I love the guy, but can someone tell me why we should keep him? I guess the problem is.. what would we trade him for? We don't need draft picks. We pluck the gems. We don't need more cash on the roster either. I don't know.. Speculation and what ifs suck. :P

Aside from the inane arguments that are going on in this thread (which are pathetic, I might add - but hey), I'm seriously laughing at the fact that some people seem to think anybody is going to get the "C" other than Zetterberg.

Z was picked, trained, and produced by Detroit. Holland himself has stated that Z becoming the next captain is his full intention. Unless the players all decide that Z isn't worthy of the title, these speculations are nothing short of hilarious.

Keep the laughs comin', guys! It's good to have some late night humor, after all. :)

did you read the rest of his post that you quoted. He said it only happened twice since the lockout so the feeling is the odds are tremendously against it. I don't see it happening either.

Actually, its very likely to happen if the Wings re-sign Hossa. They'll have to be careful about how they spend their money if they retain Hossa, and matching an overpaying offer sheet - and overpaying is the nature of offer sheets, mind you - would not seem like a wise decision. And if they did match the offer, it might put them over the cap, forcing them to trade someone, which could potentially decrease trade value, much in the same way Holland had to let Quincey go via the waiver wire.

In fact, Hudler may be the smartest target for an offer sheet. The guys likely to put up 55-60 points at seasons end without even playing 2nd line ES minutes. A GM may look at Hudlers role on the Wings and hypothesize that if he were playing a 2nd line role with decent linemates at 16-18 minutes per game, he could put up 70-80 points, perhaps even a PPG. Is that kind of production worth, say, 4M a year? Well considering Andy McDonald just signed a contract worth 4.7M per year, I would say a 25 year old putting up 70+ points is worth it. Now, would the Wings be able to match 4M per season over 5 years? Theres not a snowballs chance in hell they can match that if they already have Hossa, maybe even just Franzen, locked up. A rival GM walks away with what would be overpayment from the Wings, but reasonable value for his team, in regards to Hudler.

Maybe Holland can call in a favor to his buddy Regier over in Buffalo, and have Darcy send an offer sheet worth 2.8M for the next 2 years to Hudler and see if he signs it. Cant hurt to try, and if Hudler is stupid enough to think that his "offer-sheet value" is a mere 2.8M, then Holland could match and walk away with a bargain.

I can see Flip being traded either at this deadline or next years. More so next years. I love the guy, but can someone tell me why we should keep him? I guess the problem is.. what would we trade him for? We don't need draft picks. We pluck the gems. We don't need more cash on the roster either. I don't know.. Speculation and what ifs suck. :P

You never turn down a high pick in the draft. We do so well with the low picks, imagine what our system would look like if we had legitimate high end studs. Take the pick!

...how about just being an adult and saying the actual word, instead of this immature jibberish that is supposed to mean something...

...the jibberish PWNED doesn't even have a real meaning let alone a pronunciation...

If you want to call somebody out for using an internet meme on the internet, please be articulate enough TO USE PROPER FREAKING PUNCTUATION. Periods do NOT go at the beginning of a sentence. Ellipses can go at the end of a sentence, but not the end of a paragraph. Learn to FREAKING capitalize.

And, for the record, PWNED does have a pronunciation- "powned".

Sorry to everyone else for the hijack. :)

did you read the rest of his post that you quoted. He said it only happened twice since the lockout so the feeling is the odds are tremendously against it. I don't see it happening either.

First, he was referring to something else. I don't know how much attention you pay to these things but I can think of at least four signed offer sheets since the lockout. Bernier, Penner, Backes and and Vanek. That's in the past two off-seasons. So, if you actually look at the facts you might say it's quite likely to happen.

Second, what YG said.

Yeah, people are breaking down the doors and blowing up the phones in a rush to be first in line for the rights to trade for Osgood. Everyone wants the goalie who's ranked damn near last in the NHL with an .880sv% and a 3.29gaa.

Seriously, where do you people get these ideas?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8458568&view=stats

Because most of them dont read a box score, and casually watch a game....

So, even though he scored directly after that hit, that hit is the only reason he was not successful against the Wings?

REALLY?

The team he was playing against that shut down his whole team except one player (Marian Hossa, maybe Crosby wasn't shut down but he wasn't himself).

Right, that one hit, in which he scored what 12 seconds later, is the reason he was invisible in the SCF and had the Wings put a pylon on the ice he still couldn't have scored, Yeah that's the ticket! (In my best Jon Lovitz)

Notice how NN said Mike Richards, and I said he wasnt the same afterwards? Mike Richards overall. The hit was just the biggest thing Mike Richards did, and it was widely speculated that the hit broke a couple of Malkins ribs. Opie, see this is why I love you, the whole put a pylon on the ice and he wouldn't have scored, yeah that's what I said alright! Crosby and Hossa were shutdown because they were playing against 2 Selke nominees and the winner of the Norris trophy.Yes, Fillpula shut down Malkin, but if you think Malkin was 100%, or if you believe it was all Flip as some in here make it out to be, your crazy. (Those aren't directed at you Opie, because you didnt give your opinion on the matter, just defending what I said and why I said it.)

As for Hudler getting an offer sheet, his production the past 2 years including this one, with such little ice time, I have a hard time believing someone wont offer him one, and I'd fully expect him to accept it. Plus, no GM in there right mind would throw a smaller offer sheet like 2.5-3 mil. It'd have to be near what the last couple have been like.

Frankly I want them to do what it takes to keep 4 solid lines going and if that means signing neither I would be fine with that. Tying up to much in a couple players has biten to many teams. It has been the supporting cast and the Wings ability to grind down other teams that has made them winners, sure the stars will be the stars, but it has been rolling 4 good lines that has kept us in contention year in and year out. Obviously Lidstroms number 5 will be retired, but I would not mind one bit if they also retired #'s 18, 25 and 33... they have been part of the heart and soul of this long fun winning run... but that's just me.

Frankly I want them to do what it takes to keep 4 solid lines going and if that means signing neither I would be fine with that. Tying up to much in a couple players has biten to many teams. It has been the supporting cast and the Wings ability to grind down other teams that has made them winners, sure the stars will be the stars, but it has been rolling 4 good lines that has kept us in contention year in and year out. Obviously Lidstroms number 5 will be retired, but I would not mind one bit if they also retired #'s 18, 25 and 33... they have been part of the heart and soul of this long fun winning run... but that's just me.

I doubt that Maltby, McCarty or Draper's numbers will be retired. But we can all dream. :) Their numbers will hang in the rafters of my heart. <3

When a guy like Hossa says he wants to stay in Detroit you make it happen. Although keeping Hossa will mean letting someone (maybe more) go but I think that will be great for the cap and allow some younger guys to come up and prove their worth.

It's not close between Hossa and Franzen. Frazen is an emerging power forward who could turn into Dustin Penner. Not saying I don't like him, but c'mon Hossa is truly on par w/ Zets and Datsyuk and every other top forward in the league. He's a game-breaker just like Z and D. You sign Hossa if you can. If not, you sign Franzen (if you can).

I hope he doesnt turn out like penner i have never seen a guy play with less emotion in my life waste of talent

I think we can all agree Hossa Datsyuk and Zetterberg all make the players around them better. Does Franzen?

Obviously we can only speculate you can really see the change in Hossa's game from previous years used to be a defensize liability with the Sens and Thrashers you can tell just from his play and the excitement after he makes a play (goal, assist, w.e) he likes it in detroit.

I just hate the *** Salary cap s*** we would win forever lol.

Guest Hatethedrake!
I think we can all agree Hossa Datsyuk and Zetterberg all make the players around them better. Does Franzen?

Obviously we can only speculate you can really see the change in Hossa's game from previous years used to be a defensize liability with the Sens and Thrashers you can tell just from his play and the excitement after he makes a play (goal, assist, w.e) he likes it in detroit.

I just hate the *** Salary cap s*** we would win forever lol.

I'd choose to keep Hossa and Franzen over Hudler and Filppula. Pre Cap we could keep them all. Since that will not happen I'd like to see the following lines for next season...

Holmstrom-Datsyuk-Hossa

Franzen-Zetterberg-Cleary

Abdelkader-Helm-Leino

Maltby-Draper-Kopecky

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Lebda-Ericsson

Meech

Osgood-Howard

I'd choose to keep Hossa and Franzen over Hudler and Filppula.

With regards to cap space...

How, exactly, do you plan to do that? Hossa will cost somewhere between $5.5m and $8m. Franzen will cost between $3m and $5.5m. Total $8.5m-13.5m cap hit.

By comparison, Flip costs $3m and Hudler will cost between $1.5m and $4m, meaning a total of $4.5m-$7m of cap hit. Flip and Huds combined could potentially cost LESS than Franzen ALONE.

So it's possible that Hudler and Filppula cost the same as Franzen by himself. Given Franzen's history of tough negotiations and the fact that Hudler is the best player of the three and an RFA, so likely to be closer to the cheaper end, I'm changing your comparison for a more logical comparison.

Hossa+Hudler+Filppula>Hossa+Franzen.

Aside from the inane arguments that are going on in this thread (which are pathetic, I might add - but hey), I'm seriously laughing at the fact that some people seem to think anybody is going to get the "C" other than Zetterberg.

Z was picked, trained, and produced by Detroit. Holland himself has stated that Z becoming the next captain is his full intention. Unless the players all decide that Z isn't worthy of the title, these speculations are nothing short of hilarious.

Keep the laughs comin', guys! It's good to have some late night humor, after all. :)

Not to dash the trading Flip rumours, but I have it on good authority that Holland fully intends to name Filpula as the next captain of the red wings. My sources say Holland's thinking is that with so many Swedes on the team it would create a "positive tension" to have a Fin captain over the Swedes.