• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Stockholm-wing

Even over here!

Rate this topic

I wrote this earlier in the GDT but am not sure that too many read it because of watching the game

Since I know that many of you are a little upset that Crosby gets to much mediaattention I'll post this:

http://blogg.aftonbladet.se/18756

It's a swedish sportsjournalist who wrote this in his blogg.

(Since I'm a bit lazy today I used the Google translator to translate part of what he wrote)

"North American hockey commentators are almost always illuminating.

Except when they - as today - have to work for NBC.

Then they get that - it has now emerged - the order to withdraw anecdotes instead to reference the events on the ice for the conclusion.

Who is it that hatched this "flatnosed" idiot idea? Does anyone really think the big audience that does not follow hockey everyday will become more interested in it, listening to two uncomfortable experts rambling on and on of Sidney Crosbys broken underpants in 4:th grade? The world is full of television executives who understand nothing."

my understading of Swedish is zero but picture of Emma and Zata makes

me think the guy is simply born under the good star... Wing for live and her

sweet... eyes... :w00t2:

as for NBC and their brown noses... who cares anyway... ;) they'll soon have

to pick some other team to root for. and I'm curious how they'll have to tell why

their beloved Sindy and his s***ty team are playing golf instead of hockey :)

Tried my hand at a better translation of it:

North-american hockey commentators are almost always brilliant.

Except when they - like today - have to work for NBC.

Because then - it's emerged - they get orders to tell anecdotes instead of following the events on the ice too closely.

Who hatched this "flatnosed" idiot idea?

Does anyone really think the large audience that doesn't follow hockey on a regular basis, will become more interested in it because two uncomfortable experts are rambling on and on about Sidney Crosby's torn underpants in grade 4?

The world is full of television executives who understand nothing.

Per Bjurman is great, I love his blog, especially during the playoffs.

In regards to the game today itself, yeah the broadcasters focused on Crosby some to be expected, but I don't think it was too overhyped or overdramatic. They gave the Red Wings and the organization their fair share of kudos and time as well, just as much or possibly more than Crosby or Crosby/Malkin, etc.

All the attention Crosby gets never bothered me to start, it still doesn't. I'm pretty much done though thinking that people are off the deep end obsessed with finding anything/everything wrong with Crosby when very little of it is his doing in my opinion vs. media hype. Yeah, I still think it is ridiculous how fans focus on him like they have no other hobbies, but I understand the beef with him because of this.

If media wants to keep focusing on Crosby, let them knock themselves out. Won't bother me whatsoever. It doesn't hurt and I'd like to see them put more focus outside of just primarily Crosby and Ovechkin, etc.

I loved how the NBC annoucers were kissing his ass today.

Per Ols***, Maltby took a cheap shot and Crosby retaliated. OK, but why didn't he say the same thing when Sissy crosschecked Sammy, not once, not twice, not thrice BUT 4 TIMES.

I saw just a little clip of the postgame with Z getting interviewed and he was asked about Sissy and Malkin and he said they are both pretty good players.

If Sissy was asked about Z and Dats, what would he cry about?

I loved how the NBC annoucers were kissing his ass today.

Per Ols***, Maltby took a cheap shot and Crosby retaliated. OK, but why didn't he say the same thing when Sissy crosschecked Sammy, not once, not twice, not thrice BUT 4 TIMES.

I saw just a little clip of the postgame with Z getting interviewed and he was asked about Sissy and Malkin and he said they are both pretty good players.

If Sissy was asked about Z and Dats, what would he cry about?

he would totally weep over it

See, THAT post-game interview bugged me. Pierre gets Zata for a post-game interview and the first words out of his mouth are about Crosby. It's unnecessary. Of course, Hank's a pro and handled it in stride.

There was definite Wings-praise where it was due during the game, but considering how invisible Sid was during the game - with the exception of his repeated cross-checking of Sammy and his two-hand-chop to Malts' legs - the play-by-play still concentrated on him far too much. Of course, considering how poorly the Pens played, I guess they had to talk about SOMEONE on their roster and they're used to talking about Sid all the time, so go with what you know. *shrug*

Pierre claiming that Crosby was benched for the final two seconds of the 2nd period because the Wings might goon it up on him, that was unnecessary too. Eddie O is mostly useless, but even he pops out a grain of truth from time to time. Pierre is just totally useless. Need I remind you of the whole "wind at Datsyuk's back" comment?

Edited by edicius

Pierre claiming that Crosby was benched for the final two seconds of the 2nd period because the Wings might goon it up on him, that was unnecessary too. Eddie O is mostly useless, but even he pops out a grain of truth from time to time. Pierre is just totally useless. Need I remind you of the whole "wind at Datsyuk's back" comment?

You were not listening closely enough to that sequence. Both Pierre and Eddie O were questioning Therrien's decision to keep him off the ice in the final seconds, saying that it would make sense *if the Wings were to goon it up on him, but then quickly noted there was no one on the ice for the Wings who would do that. That is why they brought it up.

Especially in the second intermission when they did that presentation on him.

They said that it must be hard because there is no one above Crosby, so he has no one to learn from. He could learn a ton from Datsyuk or Hossa about scoring, a lot from Z about being great defensively, and he could learn much more from Lidstrom about how to lead a team.

Ya know whats funny, I stopped over at the Pensblog to see what they had to say about todays game and under the comments, majority of them were all the same talking. "Oh my god, Pierre loves the Red Wings", "he wants Red Wings cum all over his face", etc. Every fan thinks that their team is not favored on NBC. It's not just us Red Wings fans. Anyways, I'm not saying they don't CONSTANTLY talk about Crosby but todays game was not that horrible, especially compared to the Finals last year. Every fan thinks that the NBC commentators want their team to lose. That's just how it is!

NBC sports guy: "Hank, you just won the Conn Smyth and the Stanley Cup, your going to Disneyland, congratulations. But before we get to that how do you think Sidney Crosby feels about now? After all he is the best thing since sliced bread, and the new face of hockey. Do you think Sid or hockey will recover from this mortal blow? Do you think Don Cherry will ever forgive you?"

I don't care for the networks or Bettman shoving Crosby in our faces either but I do have a bit of sympathy for him, to a degree(as much as anyone could for anyone who make $8.7m a yr). I can't recall him campaigning for the "face of hockey" title. While I'm sure he enjoys the perks that come with it it wouldn't suprise me if he wished it would go away. There must be some burden being cast this way. I think the whole PR crap is doing hockey more harm than good. I wonder if it embarrasses him, most hockey players are a humble breed. I'd like to know how his own team feels, not that they could tell us.

BTW, in the translation broken underpants is way funnier than torn underpants.

That was classic. They made up this conspiracy, then debunked themselves by mentioned who Detroit had on the ice and saying "Helm's not that kinda guy."

Pierre os OK to me... Eddie needs to get kicked in the teeth.

Anyone who thinks NBC spent more time on Pittsburgh than Detroit today is out of touch with reality.

Yep.

NBC sports guy: "Hank, you just won the Conn Smyth and the Stanley Cup, your going to Disneyland, congratulations. But before we get to that how do you think Sidney Crosby feels about now? After all he is the best thing since sliced bread, and the new face of hockey. Do you think Sid or hockey will recover from this mortal blow? Do you think Don Cherry will ever forgive you?"

I don't care for the networks or Bettman shoving Crosby in our faces either but I do have a bit of sympathy for him, to a degree(as much as anyone could for anyone who make $8.7m a yr). I can't recall him campaigning for the "face of hockey" title. While I'm sure he enjoys the perks that come with it it wouldn't suprise me if he wished it would go away. There must be some burden being cast this way. I think the whole PR crap is doing hockey more harm than good. I wonder if it embarrasses him, most hockey players are a humble breed. I'd like to know how his own team feels, not that they could tell us.

BTW, in the translation broken underpants is way funnier than torn underpants.

I got nothing against Crosby whatsoever. Unfortunately him being one of the main/the main focal point, whether he asked for it or not, he's going to get a lot of crap. Some deserved probably, but a lot of it going overboard. Market other players with a lot of emphasis as well is what I'm saying, not just Crosby alone.

I got nothing against Crosby whatsoever. Unfortunately him being one of the main/the main focal point, whether he asked for it or not, he's going to get a lot of crap. Some deserved probably, but a lot of it going overboard. Market other players with a lot of emphasis as well is what I'm saying, not just Crosby alone.

More of this ^, please.

Less of "CONSPIRACY! FAVORITISM! SHENANIGANS! FLANDERS!"

I love the Red Wings as much as you all, but I am actually more tired of people whining about Crosby getting too much attention than I am of the actual attention he receives. Thank you.

I just wish theyd get rid of both the VS and NBC commentators.. eddy i sucks ass, i cant stand pierre. to me his claim to fame is that he was an assistant on a stanley cup winning team.. other then that who knows. but why cant the NHL do something different then the other leagues and make it whoever the home team, there tv crew does the game.. i really think next time the wings lay on NBC im turning the volume down and turning ken kal and paul woods on

Forgot this comment Ols*** said when Cleary was hit between the shoulder blades blocking a shot....

"He was clearly embellishing that"

That was coming from someone that probably NEVER blocked a shot like Cleary did......

Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Fans don't complain about him being overhyped just because they have nothing better to do, and 56% of interviewed players didn't vote him the whiniest player in the league just to play a prank on him.

Anyone who thinks NBC spent more time on Pittsburgh than Detroit today is out of touch with reality.

I agree. But they probably spent more time on Crosby than they did on the Burgh, and they undoubtedly spent far more time on Crosby than any one Wings player (though Pavs got a bit.. mind you, he actually had GOALS to earn the talk).

I don't think it was as bad as it has been in the past. I just wish that they would have called the game more instead of just talking about everything else. I was glad that they were actually calling the game when Hossa scored tho. The only thing that truly annoyed me was Pierre at the end of the game. His first question, "...you just played against Sindey Crosby, was that Detroits plan all along?" I'm thinking you freakin moron, of course it was, he's on the Pens isn't he? I'm sure he meant the Z was on the ice when C was but it just sounded funny to me and seemed to be his way of getting his Crosby fix on the air.

Rant complete...carry on

I don't think it was as bad as it has been in the past. I just wish that they would have called the game more instead of just talking about everything else. I was glad that they were actually calling the game when Hossa scored tho. The only thing that truly annoyed me was Pierre at the end of the game. His first question, "...you just played against Sindey Crosby, was that Detroits plan all along?" I'm thinking you freakin moron, of course it was, he's on the Pens isn't he? I'm sure he meant the Z was on the ice when C was but it just sounded funny to me and seemed to be his way of getting his Crosby fix on the air.

Rant complete...carry on

:hysterical:

Maybe it's just me, but it would have seemed like more balanced coverage if the name "Crosby" hadn't been in there so much.

If the topics would have been Det, Pit, Det, Pit etc. people wouldn't be complaining.

Instead it went more like Hossa (who's not playing with Crosby), Crosby, Lidstrom, Crosby, Hank (who is playing opposite Crosby), Malkin (compared to Crosby), Conklin (who used to play with Crosby), Crosby, the Wings in general, Staal (compared to Crosby), Dats, Crosby...

They did talk about the Wings a lot, and even gave them some props, but everything they said about Pittsburgh was in relation to Crosby. Half the times they mentioned the Pens, it was "Sid's team". If they mentioned who was on the ice for the Pens, it was "Sid's line".

One thing I missed: They mentioned that there was a "star cam" following a player from each team. Pit had Crosby. Who did Detroit have?

:hysterical:

Maybe it's just me, but it would have seemed like more balanced coverage if the name "Crosby" hadn't been in there so much.

If the topics would have been Det, Pit, Det, Pit etc. people wouldn't be complaining.

Instead it went more like Hossa (who's not playing with Crosby), Crosby, Lidstrom, Crosby, Hank (who is playing opposite Crosby), Malkin (compared to Crosby), Conklin (who used to play with Crosby), Crosby, the Wings in general, Staal (compared to Crosby), Dats, Crosby...

They did talk about the Wings a lot, and even gave them some props, but everything they said about Pittsburgh was in relation to Crosby. Half the times they mentioned the Pens, it was "Sid's team". If they mentioned who was on the ice for the Pens, it was "Sid's line".

One thing I missed: They mentioned that there was a "star cam" following a player from each team. Pit had Crosby. Who did Detroit have?

I remember that about the cam too. I don't think the announcers even knew who the other cam was on. If they did, they sure didn't want to use it. I think I was just happy to actually hear them give the Wings some props. I've decided not to blame Crosby anymore. He has no control over what the media does. He really is a good player. A whiny one, but good