• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
bato

Franzen vs. Cleary

Rate this topic

mule, no question.

Though I must say Danny gives 100% all the time whereas I think the Mule can get lazy sometimes but Cleary iisn't a great playmaker, doesn'thave great hands or a great shot, he really is just a hard worker and that's what ends up paying off for him, Mule has great talent, sometimes it doesn't seem to get put to use though.

Comparing apples and oranges....Pure skill would have to go to Franzen (Cleary never lived up to the most dangerous player on the ice tag that he had in junior). Grit and two way play goes to Cleary. Toughness and ability to play through pain goes to Cleary. I love Franzen but I'm starting to wonder if he's tough enough to fill his role...

Skills, ability = Franzen

Heart, grit, work ethic = Cleary

Which is better? If I had to choose one I would likely take Franzen.

You also forgot to mention size for Franzen.

That being said, I disagree with your assessment that Cleary has more heart, grit and work ethic. Cleary is a more tenacious fore-checker, but the jury's still out on the categories you gave Cleary. That's no shot on Cleary either.

So how exactly did you determine that Dan has more heart and is working harder that Johan? Let me guess - he's Canadian, right? :rolleyes:
No, he's a Newfoundlander.......even tougher, with more heart than a regular Canadian.

No, he's a Newfoundlander.......even tougher, with more heart than a regular Canadian.

My parents are both from Newfoundland (living in Saskatchewan now) and they would be just tickled to read your posting. I on the other hand would consider pulling out some Newfie jokes and having some fun. lol

Best comeback on these forums though, good on ya!!

So how exactly did you determine that Dan has more heart and is working harder that Johan? Let me guess - he's Canadian, right? :rolleyes:

Hahaha, good one. No I just watch the games and see Dan going to work each and every game. Johan on the other hand can take extended breaks. Look at Cleary's face man, bruised and battered... he's a warrior that just happens to also be Canadian.

You also forgot to mention size for Franzen.

That being said, I disagree with your assessment that Cleary has more heart, grit and work ethic. Cleary is a more tenacious fore-checker, but the jury's still out on the categories you gave Cleary. That's no shot on Cleary either.

Just my opinion. I can't think of a time I've seen Franzen lay down to block a shot, or go and muck in the corner's... well not like Cleary anyway. How often has Cleary played through some well-known injuries. I think he exudes Heart, grit and work ethic.

Just my opinion. I can't think of a time I've seen Franzen lay down to block a shot, or go and muck in the corner's... well not like Cleary anyway. How often has Cleary played through some well-known injuries. I think he exudes Heart, grit and work ethic.

While I agree that Cleary tends to be the more tenacious player, I don't necessarily think that equals more heart, grit or work-ethic. Work-ethic is measured both on the ice and off, and none us can say the amount of work any player puts in unless we have an "in". Heart is an intangible that I don't think is fairly given to either one of those two over the other. Perhaps Cleary is a little more gritty, but its not as if Franzen is a cream-puff. The guy stands in front of the net, takes a massive beating and tries to keep himself from getting killed from point shots, all the while re-directing goals with far more skill than Cleary. Again, that's no shot on Cleary...I just think giving those categories to one of those two players over the other is a little too arbitrary.

While I agree that Cleary tends to be the more tenacious player, I don't necessarily think that equals more heart, grit or work-ethic. Work-ethic is measured both on the ice and off, and none us can say the amount of work any player puts in unless we have an "in". Heart is an intangible that I don't think is fairly given to either one of those two over the other. Perhaps Cleary is a little more gritty, but its not as if Franzen is a cream-puff. The guy stands in front of the net, takes a massive beating and tries to keep himself from getting killed from point shots, all the while re-directing goals with far more skill than Cleary. Again, that's no shot on Cleary...I just think giving those categories to one of those two players over the other is a little too arbitrary.

I'm not saying Franzen is a cream-puff by any means. I do believe that Franzen has alot more skills and tools to play with. I give Cleary the Heart, Grit and Work ethic tags because those are the keys to his success as he does not possess the skills of Franzen. Cleary was high draft pick and failed to meet the expectations initially put on him. He wasn't a player anyone really even wanted... to see him now, as successfull as he is to me shows where his heart is and says alot about his work ethic because he had to earn it not by skills alone but mainly on Heart, Grit and Work ethic.

I'm not saying Franzen is a cream-puff by any means. I do believe that Franzen has alot more skills and tools to play with. I give Cleary the Heart, Grit and Work ethic tags because those are the keys to his success as he does not possess the skills of Franzen. Cleary was high draft pick and failed to meet the expectations initially put on him. He wasn't a player anyone really even wanted... to see him now, as successfull as he is to me shows where his heart is and says alot about his work ethic because he had to earn it not by skills alone but mainly on Heart, Grit and Work ethic.

That makes more sense, and I'm not trying to be argumentative but I also can't fault Franzen for never having the issues Cleary did early on in his career. On the same note, Franzen started off on the Wings in a grinding role and has earned every bit of his line promotion. Bottom line, I guess you can't go wrong either way given that their roles are completely different at this point. In other words, apples to oranges.

I'll take Cleary 6 days of the week and twice on Sunday.

There is no better quality then heart, Dan will do anything for the team. He blocks shots, hits, grinds in the corner, takes hits to make a pass, hell he even fought Pronger which is two feet taller then him.

Franzen is a gifted player as well but Dan brings something to this team that we need more of from all of our guys. Heart.

P.S LOve that Newfie comment. :thumbup:

Never drink with a Newfie! I learned that one the hard way... they must also have a bigger stronger liver then most regular Canadians.

Never drink with a Newfie! I learned that one the hard way... they must also have a bigger stronger liver then most regular Canadians.

Your damn right they do! :thumbup:

Thread mentions Dano and all these Newfie comments, love it :D

As far as the two, I'm bias, obviously. Franzen has the size and talent, but doesnt seem to have the fire or the work ethic Cleary has. I'd take Cleary, but Franzen is a great player too, and when he wants too, can absolutely dominate.