• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

rwfan007

2009 Detroit Tigers Season Thread

Rate this topic

I dont care what Rodneys numbers were this season, I never feel comfortable when Leyland puts him in to close a game. It seems like he has blown way too many games in his career here. On the plus side, Porcello pitched like a true ace today and deserved to get the win...its just too bad we couldnt close it.

Rodney was fantastic yesterday. I think Leyland probably tried to stretch him out a little too long, but what other reliable options did he have in the bullpen? Yes, Rodney doesn't make it comfortable at times but he typically gets the job done.

Rodney was fantastic yesterday. I think Leyland probably tried to stretch him out a little too long, but what other reliable options did he have in the bullpen? Yes, Rodney doesn't make it comfortable at times but he typically gets the job done.

I would have brought a starter in...even Verlander for an inning. Jackson would have pitched today so I would bring in anyone else to beginning the bottom of the 12th to relieve rodney.

The game was very similar to our season: we lead through pretty much the entire thing, when the game was supposed to be over we were tied with Minnesota, and in extra time we let our lead slip.

In any event that had to be the best game of baseball I have ever seen, and if Dombrowski can hold the core together, the future certainly looks bright.

We need some legitimate help for cabby in the 4 or 5 spot. Maggs and Guillen are not going to be a headache for opposing managers in their thoughts of pitching around cabby. For all I care, maggs, guillen, Everett, Huff, Robertson, Bonderman, Willis, and Galarraga can all be playing for other teams next year, but unfortunately some of them are locked up for about 10 times the amount of money they are worth.

The game was very similar to our season: we lead through pretty much the entire thing, when the game was supposed to be over we were tied with Minnesota, and in extra time we let our lead slip.

In any event that had to be the best game of baseball I have ever seen, and if Dombrowski can hold the core together, the future certainly looks bright.

If Dombrowski remains as the GM. Lot of money in this ballclub with zero playoff games to show for it since 2006. Lot of dead money tied into players not even on the roster.

We need some legitimate help for cabby in the 4 or 5 spot. Maggs and Guillen are not going to be a headache for opposing managers in their thoughts of pitching around cabby. For all I care, maggs, guillen, Everett, Huff, Robertson, Bonderman, Willis, and Galarraga can all be playing for other teams next year, but unfortunately some of them are locked up for about 10 times the amount of money they are worth.

Quick question: Who makes more money?? Magglio Ordonez or Albert Pujols?? Who would you rather have on your team??

The whole mags mess goes on Illitch. The rest are just bad deals.

Great game last night. Just goes to show you how even these two teams are. At least the Tigs showed up and made it one hell of a game. Now if they had only put that kind of effort in against the Sox...... :(

Love the Tigs - great pitching future - just need something to turn a "very good" team into a great team.

Nothing against the Twins - I can't stand the overspent East Coast obnoxious clubs - not much realistic hope the Yanks and Sox go out - but hope they do.

Now onto my hometown team...the Rockies...

Good effort this year Tigers - just not *quite* good enough in the end.

Wonder if JL is gone after this?

Edited by RockyMountainWingGal

I doubt it. Leyland had probably one of his best coaching jobs this season. DD could be out tho. Something is missing with this team. Gotta find the missing piece.

I'm ambivalent about Leyland. I like him personally, he puts his heart into it, and he does what he can with the players he is given. I don't understand alot of baseball decisions myself, so some things he does puzzle me (like pitching Figaro the other night, or yanking Porcello last night) but all managers do those things. I do have concerns about how his teams fade down the stretch every year. This is a recurring theme and it is very worrisome....

so some things he does puzzle me (like pitching Figaro the other night,

Fiagro was played because the previous monday game was rained out. It was not his spot, it was Porcellos. Who else do you want in that slot. Verlander, Jackson, Bonine, and Robertson already had their slot. Only one you can agrue with would maybe be Galarraga.

Leyland deserves to stay. He did a great job managing this season.

If any blame needs to be placed, look no further than the massive contracts Dombrowski gave to players that are dead weight. Leyland did the best managing job he could with the talent he had available.

My first request for next season is to make Ryan Raburn the starting left fielder. Trade Guillen, alternate him at DH with Maggs, whatever it takes to give Raburn the chance to play every day. We also need a leadoff hitter badly with speed so Granderson can move down in the order.

Edited by GoWings1905