• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

rwfan007

2009 Detroit Tigers Season Thread

Rate this topic

Well, it's that time again. Pitchers and Catchers report in 4 days. Last season was an awkward one after the huge news of Cabrera and Willis coming here in a trade. Some players on the team did not know where they would be playing, if they were playing, and the season just started bad from the start.

Here it is, 2009, the roster is mostly set, with a few spots in the rotation and pen still up for grabs.

1. Granderson CF

2. Polanco 2B

3. Ordonez

4. Sheffield/Thames/Larish

5. Cabrera 1B

6. Guillen/Thames LF

7. Everett SS

8. Laird C

9. Inge 3B

SP

1. Verlander

2. Bonderman

3. Galarraga

4. Jackson

5. Robertson/Willis/Miner/Porcello

Pen.... who knows

Rodney

Zumaya

Seay

Dolsi

Lyon

That roster is not the official one, but that is what I think may be a possibility come opening day. I will leave that decision to Jimmy. I do think that this year we have a more stable situation than we did last year, and because of that, we should start out in decent shape.

Edited by rwfan007

i am worried about the bullpen again this year. I really think the Tigers missed out in a relief pitcher frenzey free agency this offseason. I dont get how one year we trade future talent for talent now...in a sign that the organization wants to win now...and then this year they are holding their money tight. This cant all be blamed on the economy can it. Also I wonder why the Tigers arent going after Manny. Put Manny in this lineup and you have probablhy the most dangerous lineup in the AL.

After so many years with a Tigers team that was a guaranteed bottom-dweller, I'm still just happy that 74-88 is cause to be upset and not simply happy it wasn't 100 losses.

That lineup looks a little thin, though. Sheffield is a fossil, Guillen seems like he's on the downslope, Everett and Laird never were known for their hitting. Honestly this team looks like an 85-win team. Hope I'm wrong and they do better, but this doesn't look like a contending season. Anything's possible in this Central Division though. Thank god we're not in the East where basically if you're not NY or Boston you're screwed. (Yes, I realize TB went to the Series last year. Good luck with repeating.)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...S0104/902200462

It's easy to forget that pitchers are always ahead of hitters this time of year, but I can't help but get excited over what they're saying about Zumaya. If he's healthy and back to the Zumaya of old, the bullpen will be a thousand percent improved.

And I see from the picture that Porcello throws a circle change. That's exciting too, if he can throw that consistently and well. A pitcher with Porcello's talent and three good pitches is an ace. I'm really hoping for a September call-up for him.

yeah, zoom-zoom said that he will be the closer. Jimmy has yet to say this, and with Rodney and Lyon in the mix as well, I am not as confident. But Zumaya said that he is confident that they have been grooming him to close and that he will be the closer this year. I dunno if anybody saw that interview or not, so take it with a grain of salt.

Hi,

does any one know a web site that will have online streaming of all detroit tigers game this season. I have looked at mlbtv about the cost is 109.00 for the season

please let me know of any links or web sites that will be doing baseball

It's baseball season! :)

The offence will be fine. Manny's a cancer this team doesn't need. Even if the Sheff does nothing and ends up on the bench, that's still a great top 6. Hopefully Inge bounces back offensively (signs are good so far). RED, I think you'll be surprised by Laird. Not tons of power, but he's a scrappy hitter with deceptive speed--something last year's team needed more of. I think he was the Tigers' best acquisition, unless Lyon or Jackson pitch lights out.

The defence should be much better. Cabrera's been making himself into a good first baseman, and Inge and Everett should be dynamite on the left side. Polanco and Granderson are outstanding. Most importantly, everyone knows where they're playing and are happy with it coming into camp.

All the question marks for me are with the pitchers. If enough improve from last year, this will be a good year. That's a big if...

Buster Olney on ESPN said it's possible the Tigers will release Willis or try to demote him again to work on his delivery. Either way, he won't be the fifth starter in the rotation. I would prefer Porcello, but my guess is Robertson for the sake of having a lefty.

Poor Willis just doesn't have it for more than a batter or two at a time. Porcello's been great, as has Perry if anyone's gotten a chance to see him. But I'm wary of rushing along a kid and them having arm problems later (Wood, Prior, Liriano, even Bonderman come to mind). Robertson looked much better his last start. If he can get on a roll I'm happy with him in the 5th spot.

Sad news: George Kell has passed away.

I still miss his TV broadcasts of Tigers games. He and Kaline were a terrific pair.

I grew up watching him and Kaline broadcast tiger games on local tv here. Very sad to see him go. One of the best to ever wear the english D.

If anyone has an video or just a tidbit of kaline and kell broadcasting games, I sure would like to hear some of their tandum.

I just heard about Kell during the Wings game tonight. That is sad. I grew up watching him and Kaline broadcast games. FSN said they were running a special later this week:

Tune in Wednesday (7:30 & 10:00 pm) and Sunday (12:30 & 4:00 pm) for a special encore presentation on the 2005 special "FSN Basement: All-Star Edition," featuring interviews with George Kell and Al Kaline, each recalling their memories of playing for the Tigers and working together in the television booth.

In a surprise move, the Tigers have released Gary Sheffield.

The move makes a lot of sense because the Tigers already have a lot of DH-type hitters, and bringing Sheffield here in 2007 never made a lot of sense to begin with. I'm surprised by the timing of this though, since he's seemingly healthy for the first time in a long time. Why didn't they do this last year if they were going to do it?

The Tigers acquired OF Josh Anderson from the Braves yesterday, so something had to happen between Sheff, Thames, Raburn, Thomas, Perez, and Clevlen. I think Thames and Raburn make the team and Thomas, Perez, and Clevlen are sent down to the minors. The Sheff move today gives the team more versatility in the infield with Raburn, as well as Anderson in the outfield who, according to http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/article...sp&c_id=det, has the best pure speed on the team now.

i think guillen is going to take the DH and Thames/Anderson/Raburn/Larish are going to be in LF. Guillen is so under par in LF that all those I just named are marked improvements out there.

i think guillen is going to take the DH and Thames/Anderson/Raburn/Larish are going to be in LF. Guillen is so under par in LF that all those I just named are marked improvements out there.

Good point. Maybe that would help Guillen at the plate some without having the wear on his body of playing the field everyday. We need Guillen's bat to produce more since the bottom third of the order isn't on the team for offense.

Raburn looks like he's on the way to some NL team or another - the Tigers are actively shopping him for some bullpen help. They could use it if Eddie Bonine, Juan Rincon, and the rookie Perry are heading north, which the News says is happening, and Zumaya's not available. I don't know about this bullpen at all.

On ESPN they were previewing the Tigers and they said Zumaya was at 80% but he was throwing the ball at 98mph. No telling if any of those pitches are hitting the strike zone, but that sounds pretty promising. One of the insiders was also saying that Leyland feels a lot better about this year's team than last season's, and if the Tigers don't get off to a good start, Leyland could be fired.