• Please log in to reply
485 replies to this topic

#21 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:40 PM

I believe Perez and Clevlen have no minor league options left so they both would have to clear waivers. Raburn and/or Larish should make the team before either of those two anyways.

Thames finally gets the DH role he deserved all along.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#22 rwfan007

rwfan007

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:56 PM

i think guillen is going to take the DH and Thames/Anderson/Raburn/Larish are going to be in LF. Guillen is so under par in LF that all those I just named are marked improvements out there.

Posted Image

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton

#23 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE (rwfan007 @ March 31, 2009 - 04:56PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i think guillen is going to take the DH and Thames/Anderson/Raburn/Larish are going to be in LF. Guillen is so under par in LF that all those I just named are marked improvements out there.

Good point. Maybe that would help Guillen at the plate some without having the wear on his body of playing the field everyday. We need Guillen's bat to produce more since the bottom third of the order isn't on the team for offense.

#24 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE (rwfan007 @ March 31, 2009 - 04:56PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Raburn looks like he's on the way to some NL team or another - the Tigers are actively shopping him for some bullpen help. They could use it if Eddie Bonine, Juan Rincon, and the rookie Perry are heading north, which the News says is happening, and Zumaya's not available. I don't know about this bullpen at all.
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#25 Hockeytown Red Wings

Hockeytown Red Wings

Buckeye & Red Wing fanatic

• Silver Booster
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:11 PM

On ESPN they were previewing the Tigers and they said Zumaya was at 80% but he was throwing the ball at 98mph. No telling if any of those pitches are hitting the strike zone, but that sounds pretty promising. One of the insiders was also saying that Leyland feels a lot better about this year's team than last season's, and if the Tigers don't get off to a good start, Leyland could be fired.

"During Robert Lang’s time in Detroit, he caused me anguish. Other times he brought me and my family great joy. Robert Lang occasionally coasts, and spends time searching for the best pane of glass to best view the reflection of his flowing mullet. Other times he is a strong-armed force with the puck. I never knew what to expect from Robert Lang. He is The Enigma. " - A2Y

#26 rwfan007

rwfan007

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:56 PM

Porcello and Perry make the big league roster. Verlander, Jackson, Miner, Galarraga, and Porcello are the rotation for now until Bondo comes back. Bonine, Lyon, Perry, Rincon, Robertson, Rodney, and Seay are in the pen. Thats what is going to be the opening day pitching situation.

Clevlen is being shopped around, Hessman was put on waivers, Larish is likely to be the last man on the 25-man roster.

So here it is, the opening day roster.

Granderson CF
Polanco 2b
Ordonez RF
Thames DH/LF
Cabrera 1B
Guillen DH/LF
Everett SS
Inge 3B
Laird C

Anderson OF
Santiago IF
Larish IF/OF
Treanor C

SP
Verlander
Jackson
Galarraga
Porcello
Miner

RP
Bonine
Robertson
Seay
Rodney
Lyon
Perry
Rincon

http://www.freep.com...90401041/?imw=Y

Posted Image

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton

#27 Hockeytown Red Wings

Hockeytown Red Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:00 PM

I'm excited to see what Porcello can do. And for the love of god, let's hope the Bullpen can stay healthy.

"During Robert Lang’s time in Detroit, he caused me anguish. Other times he brought me and my family great joy. Robert Lang occasionally coasts, and spends time searching for the best pane of glass to best view the reflection of his flowing mullet. Other times he is a strong-armed force with the puck. I never knew what to expect from Robert Lang. He is The Enigma. " - A2Y

#28 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:54 PM

Opening Day tomorrow!!

And here's what I like best: Normally, the Tigers play a game, then the next day there's a day off right away. Ugh. Not this year though.

Here's the lineup:

CF Curtis Granderson
2B Placido Polanco
RF Magglio Ordoñez
1B Miguel Cabrera
DH Carlos Guillen
C Gerald Laird
3B Brandon Inge
SS Adam Everett
LF Josh Anderson

P Justin Verlander

No shockers, although I'm honestly very worried about this lineup. Having to bat Gerald Laird sixth does not inspire my confidence. I'd bump Inge up a spot - there's a clear correlation between his batting average and how much catcher he plays. Now that he's not catching, I think we'll see something much closer to the '04-'06 Inge than last year's version. And I think we'll see Guillen returning to shortstop quite a bit this year to make room for Thames' bat. Even Guillen worries me though - he's quite obviously on the decline.
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#29 rwfan007

rwfan007

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:33 PM

I don't think Guillen will play much SS. We have Everett and Santiago who will take the load at SS. Guillen/Thames/Anderson will platoon in LF with Thames and Guillen taking the DH whenever the other is in the field. Anderson I don't think will get many starts with Guillen and Thames bats. They are just too good to take the bat out of their hands on any consistent basis.

heres a link to supplement my post:

http://detroit.tiger...e...sp&c_id=det

Edited by rwfan007, 05 April 2009 - 10:25 PM.

Posted Image

#30 Hockeytown Red Wings

Hockeytown Red Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:32 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we'll see Guillen in LF and Thames DH'ing most days.

I think this team can do well if they build some chemistry. It seems more of a team this year rather than a collection of names.

#31 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,678 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:12 AM

Jays lineup tonight...

1. Scutaro - SS
2. Hill - 2B
3. Rios - RF
4. Wells - CF
5. Lind - LF
6. Rolen - 3B
7. Overbay - 1B
8. Barajas - C
9. Snider - DH

SP - Doc Halladay

Bench:

McDonald - SS/3B/OF
Millar - 1B/DH
Barrett - C
Bautista - 3B/1B

Remaining rotation:

Litsch
Purcey
Romero
Richmond

Bullpen:

Tallet
Downs
Camp
Frasor
Carlson
League
Ryan

15-day DL:

Casey Janssen

60-day DL:

Shaun Marcum
Dustin McGowan

Edited by MacK_Attack, 06 April 2009 - 11:15 AM.

#32 spydrwebb

spydrwebb

Hockeytown West

• Gold Booster
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE (Hockeytown Red Wings @ April 1, 2009 - 05:11PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On ESPN they were previewing the Tigers and they said Zumaya was at 80% but he was throwing the ball at 98mph. No telling if any of those pitches are hitting the strike zone, but that sounds pretty promising. One of the insiders was also saying that Leyland feels a lot better about this year's team than last season's, and if the Tigers don't get off to a good start, Leyland could be fired.

i saw that as well, and the FSN season preview... both agreed on the same points. leyland will be safe only after the tigers get off to a respectable start. i favor the moves made thus far and look forward to zumaya returning at 100% soon.
IPB Image

*live, love, learn... leave a legend*

#33 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:36 PM

Opening Day! yahoo.gif

I don't expect these Tigers to be any better than a .500 team, but having baseball back is always exciting. Maybe lower expectations will lead to some surprises for the Tigers. I just can't see how a team with so many questions mark on the pitching staff can seriously contend. Unless Verlander and Bonderman pitch like 2006, someone takes over the closer's role and Porcello/Perry become Verlander/Zumaya, the Tigers are going to struggle. One of the few bright spots might be Cabrera. I think he'll win the AL MVP this season.

Go Tigers!

#34 rwfan007

rwfan007

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:39 PM

yahoo.gif w00t2.gif bounce.gif clap.gif banana.gif punk.gif bouncecolors.gif beerchug.gif TIGERS!!!!!!!!! I am so stoked for this year. Baseball and hockey are basically 50-50 for me, so this is just as exciting as opening day for the wings! Yeah Buddy!

Posted Image

#35 Mike

Mike

Population: 11 Banners

• Gold Booster
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:52 PM

Always great to see your ace throw 35 pitches in one inning and give up 4 runs.

Sig by TeeMan

#36 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:46 PM

Well, at least the Tigers made it easier for me to watch the Red Wings tonight.

9-1 Jays and our ace gets rocked on Opening Day.

#37 Mike

Mike

Population: 11 Banners

• Gold Booster
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:57 PM

Can we start this season with a longer losing streak than last season?

Sig by TeeMan

#38 The Mule

The Mule

A Nightmare on Helm Street

• Silver Booster
  • 1,962 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:04 PM

LET'S GO BLUE JAYS!

#39 rwfan007

rwfan007

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:18 PM

it aint over til its over

Posted Image

#40 The Mule

The Mule

A Nightmare on Helm Street

• Silver Booster
  • 1,962 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (rwfan007 @ April 6, 2009 - 09:18PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it aint over til its over

It's over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users