• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

rwfan007

2009 Detroit Tigers Season Thread

Rate this topic

It's early, but I really like what I'm seeing so far. The starting pitching has been great overall, the offence is showing an ability to manufacture runs rather than just slugging away, and the bullpen (especially Seay and Rodney) is so far outperforming expectations. *If* we can get a healthy Bonderman and Zumaya, and if JV finds his game, I like our chances.

I was impressed with Josh Anderson--he battled for a walk on a 10-pitch at bat, stole second, and scored the first run in what was a tight game, and he also bunted for a base hit. His speed was something last year's team lacked, and he gives the team another lefthanded bat. If he plays like yesterday he'll take the leftfield spot from Thames (as much as I like the guy), and the Tigers will be a better team for it.

JV looked great today. he had the shaky 5th inning, but other than that his stuff was nasty. If I was him, I would concentrate on that inning 1-4 stuff and build from that. Cabby is still on fire.

JV looked great today. he had the shaky 5th inning, but other than that his stuff was nasty. If I was him, I would concentrate on that inning 1-4 stuff and build from that. Cabby is still on fire.

I agree.....it's really frustrating that Verlander does this every so often. Filthy stuff last night, just filthy, he was making people look silly until the 5th when they jumped on everything he threw.

I agree.....it's really frustrating that Verlander does this every so often. Filthy stuff last night, just filthy, he was making people look silly until the 5th when they jumped on everything he threw.

Double post...

Edited by mannysBETTER3434

I really believe it is all mental with JV.....

inge's off-season mechanics have really paid off thus far. i, for one, am jazzed to see his game coming together again. he deserves the pay off for all the hard work that he turns in prior to and following the game. he voluntarily reported several weeks before training camp began, specifically to correct things that went wrong last season. say what you want to about brandon but i believe his work ethic and heart bear no criticism.

can't wait when zumaya is 100% and rodney is consistent. the latter is less likely but one can hope he regains even a fraction of his previous brilliance.

I gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised about the offense. It's been more productive than I thought it'd be. The pitching has been respectable - if Verlander can get properly on track, the team looks good enough at least to contend for the division all the way through September.

I am trying not to get ahead of myself, but I am liking this team. The pitching has improved big time in which we actually have starters now and as far as offense..how about santiago 2nd on the team in RBIs only behind Cabrera. I really wish we didnt trade for renetria and just gave santiago a chance last year. Would be nice to have Jurreans on this team.

So I was at the game last night. The Angels team, even with their rough start, are frustrating like no other. Galarraga started well but Anaheim kept fouling off balls and running up his pitch count, and eventually they succeeded in getting him off his game. Weaver is always an enigma to me--the Tigers always seem to hit him hard with little to show for it. Lots of missed opportunities tonight, especially late. I'll be at tonight's game as well. Hopefully JV gets it turned around.

Ok so I'm the only one seeing these games since you are all on the east coast. :lol: 12-10 and a whole lot of ugly tonight, but also some great persistence by the Tigers. Raburn had an uncharacteristically bad game, and JV just doesn't look like himself--he just can't get guys out with 2 strikes. But everyone else made things happen. I'm still high on this Josh Anderson kid so far: he's hitting well, a good bunter, and speedy as hell.

Ah, well, jackson kind of fell apart for an inning and the old english D never recovered. Big Rick on the hill for Friday, lets see if he can get his first ever winning streak going lol.

Those last two games were hideous. The Tigers are starting to look like last year's team. Hopefully they'll turn it around tonight.

Edit: Ok, I feel better about last night's game after reading that the Tigers got in at 7am and then faced a lights-out Greinke. Also, Zoom-Zoom's back tonight! *crosses fingers*

Edited by Third Man In

Maggs and Laird finally get their first dingers tonight! Good win by the good guys, miner was a little shaky but was able to pitch around some jams. I will take 9-1 wins any day.

Those last two games were hideous. The Tigers are starting to look like last year's team. Hopefully they'll turn it around tonight.

Edit: Ok, I feel better about last night's game after reading that the Tigers got in at 7am and then faced a lights-out Greinke. Also, Zoom-Zoom's back tonight! *crosses fingers*

Yeah, Friday's game, that was a write-off. Absolutely ridiculous scheduling. There's no way a team should play a night game on the West Coast, fly east the next day (losing two hours along the way) and play a game the very next day. Should never happen, ever. Totally ridiculous. There's no reason that couldn't have been a day game in Anaheim; or better yet, make the series M-W instead of T-Th. Both teams had Monday off and LA had a day game in Minneapolis. Inexcuseable.

Where are all the Inge haters now? He is on a freeking roll! Leads the team in HR and RBI! Good, close win today, leave the road 5-4, and coming home to welcome the Yanks to CoPa.

Where are all the Inge haters now? He is on a freeking roll! Leads the team in HR and RBI!

:clap: Exactly. I feel so vindicated in him right now. I've had to defend the guy so many times--I still did this weekend in Anaheim. He's the Tigers' best third baseman by far, and if he keeps hitting anything like this the rest of the way and gives the team production from the bottom of the order, this team is going to be a lot more consistent on both sides than they were last season.

Where are all the Inge haters now? He is on a freeking roll! Leads the team in HR and RBI! Good, close win today, leave the road 5-4, and coming home to welcome the Yanks to CoPa.

It's great to go on a West Coast swing and come back with a winning record, especially when you can cap it off with a series win against a division rival. Not too shabby.

I'd love to rehash the argument we had a year ago with the Inge-hater around here, but unfortunately he's long since banned :lol: (Inge-hating is a severe crime punishable by death and dismemberment, so he got off lightly ;) )