• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Z and D for the C

Hossa is on pace for a career high in goals

Rate this topic

This season he has .574 goals a game. Over an 82 game season that is 47 goals. His highest thus far is 45 in 02-03.

Normally I don't place much stock in what a player is on pace for, it's usually off, but in this case I actually think he'll get MORE than 47 goals. Hossa has absolutely turned in on lately and is really meshing with the team now, something he wasn't really doing as well the first 30-35 games. He is on a 5 game goal streak, with 7 goals over that stretch. He has 9 in 8, and you have to go back 16 games for his goal/game number to look even remotely human (14/16). Before that has had 17 goals in 38 games including his 7 game goal drought, nearly half his production of his last 16 games.

Anyway I just thought that was an interesting little fact and that it would be a demonic travesty not to do everything we can to resign him.

Gonna agree with the signing him part, when i heard we signed him in the summer i was stoked, but i did not even want to think about the year after, but now reading all these reports that we might actualy get him and at a discount...i don't want to get my hopes up too much but i can't really help it, it is only the last couple games i have really been excited for him to be a wing. Actually it was the game against pittsburgh, after he got that goal, the smile on his face told me that he was A REDWING not just a great player in a wings uniform. Hope we can get it done.

Hossa WANTS 50 goals, and he could totally do it. But most importantly, he just wants his team to win :)

I still can't get over the fact that he's actually a Wing. And how much worse our record would be this season without his timely goals and everything else he adds to the team. HOSSA FTW!!!

This season he has .574 goals a game. Over an 82 game season that is 47 goals. His highest thus far is 45 in 02-03.

Normally I don't place much stock in what a player is on pace for, it's usually off, but in this case I actually think he'll get MORE than 47 goals. Hossa has absolutely turned in on lately and is really meshing with the team now, something he wasn't really doing as well the first 30-35 games. He is on a 5 game goal streak, with 7 goals over that stretch. He has 9 in 8, and you have to go back 16 games for his goal/game number to look even remotely human (14/16). Before that has had 17 goals in 38 games including his 7 game goal drought, nearly half his production of his last 16 games.

Anyway I just thought that was an interesting little fact and that it would be a demonic travesty not to do everything we can to resign him.

Except break the bank on him and sacrifice the future of the team and it's long term goals. Remember, we are the WIngs, not the Sens or Lightning.

Except break the bank on him and sacrifice the future of the team and it's long term goals. Remember, we are the WIngs, not the Sens or Lightning.

I don't think we need worry about that. It's fairly common knowledge how the Wings operate philosophically. If Hossa really wants to play here I don't think he'll need a crash course on the Red Wing way.

I'll never understand players that chase the mighty dollar, to the point that all that matters is the amount. I expect that from regular people, people who live check to check. Once your making millions a year though is 1million more going to make or break you? Eh, millionaires, I'll never figure them out. The point I'm laboring to make is if you hit the mega lottery for $200million then found out you had to split it would $100million suddenly suck, wouldn't half be enough?

A lot of good teams have money tied up in their top 6, so comparing the Wings to the Sens or Lightning is lame. Were going to have to lose people to keep people, and until their is a cap discount for teams and the players they drafted, get used to players lost to free agency. We also don't have a 3 - 8 million dollar goalie so why not spend it on our top six?

A lot of good teams have money tied up in their top 6, so comparing the Wings to the Sens or Lightning is lame. Were going to have to lose people to keep people, and until their is a cap discount for teams and the players they drafted, get used to players lost to free agency. We also don't have a 3 - 8 million dollar goalie so why not spend it on our top six?

That and players willing to take a discount is what makes this team successful, it all starts with sacrifice.

Could Hossa have gone after the 10 Mil a year job, sure and the Oilers would be better, would they be as good as the Wings minus Hossa, I doubt it very much unless he found a way to make Penner what we thought he would become (We as in the people like myself that though Penner was Shanny reincarnated!) .

Could Z have waited to chase the All mighty Dollar, sure but would he feel as at home in NY, LA, PHO as he does in Det, would he be able to win.

It is a trade off I guess more than a sacrifice because 6 mil a year (AVG) is not exactly sacrificing! But you get the point.

This team even before the cap was about self sacrifice for team gain, Yzerman, Shanny, and Lids I believe all took paycuts (before Cap) to make room for Hully, Luc, and Dom!

It is a great thing to be a Red Wings fan these days!!! Now if we want to talk about being a fan in 78-83 well that is a slightly different story!!

If Hossa understands what it takes to be a Red Wing (tremendous paycut), which I think he does, and understands that it is going to take a huge deal to keep him and our depth, he is definitely the priority to sign. I love the Mule, he is terrific and from all accounts great in the locker room too, but he is also very injury prone. There are definitely some very hard decisions to make in the next couple months, and I do not envy Ken Holland, but either way, this team is going to be very different next year. The players deserve the economic prospects that are elsewhere, but who knows, maybe a few years down the line when Lidstrom's numbers are off the books and number 5 hangs in the rafter at JLA maybe we'll see Franzen and Hudler back in the Winged-Wheel. Call me a dreamer....

I still can't get over the fact that he's actually a Wing. And how much worse our record would be this season without his timely goals and everything else he adds to the team. HOSSA FTW!!!

I am as well. I remember when there was a day I thought Marion Hossa would never be a wing(CUz of the salary cap and other elements)

But I think he looks like a Red Wing, just as much as Datsyuk, Lidstrom and Z does

Sidenote: It's funny because Pittsburg fans are still bitter over this and if Hossa didnt resign for whatever reason, I know alot of Wings fans would be bummed but not bitter. I.E. : Shanny

I am as well. I remember when there was a day I thought Marion Hossa would never be a wing(CUz of the salary cap and other elements)

But I think he looks like a Red Wing, just as much as Datsyuk, Lidstrom and Z does

Sidenote: It's funny because Pittsburg fans are still bitter over this and if Hossa didnt resign for whatever reason, I know alot of Wings fans would be bummed but not bitter. I.E. : Shanny

Can you imagine if he signs long term in Det for 6-7 mil, the Pens fans will spazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :tease: out!!

Yeah. Just a while ago he was totally gonna make it to 50 with the roll he was on :( So sad, poor guy. But there is always next season! Crazy to think what he can achieve in a full season, given he took a while to get adjusted to being on a new team at the beginning of this season.

All the fears of the Cap going down, and with a lot of teams that have any chance of making the plays not having 8+ million to spare I think that our chances of resigning hossa has gotten better then it was at the beginning of the season.

Hossa will get that career high if he stops 'diving' head first into the boards, as the Blues announcers put it. :lol:

Has there been one since Fedorov and Ray Sheppard both did it (93-94 I think)?

Nope.....and you are correct that it was 93/94 campaign.

Sidenote: Stevie Y did it 5 times in 6 years (87/88-92/93).