• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wings_Fan_In_Exile

Top 3 All Time Antagonists

Rate this topic

To be honest I always felt Maltby was at his agitating best when he had a guy like Kocur, or McCarty on his line; he's invisible otherwise since he lacks the balls to back up his actions.

EDIT - made a few repairs ;)

You know, I actually think Maltby might be a better agitator by not fighting. Think about it: He shoots off at the mouth so much it irritates people and then he won't give them the satisfaction of fighting. That'd piss me off if I were an opponent moreso than if I got to beat him down. Thus he does his job.

I can't entirely hate Roy because I found his occasional utter and total meltdowns to be extremely entertaining. I remember watching the legendary game the Red Wings drove him to the Nordalanche and it was a thing of beauty.

Granted I haven't watched a ton of Eastern Conference games on a regular basis, but you just don't seem to get that kind of awesome television from a Marty Brodeur.

I can't entirely hate Roy because I found his occasional utter and total meltdowns to be extremely entertaining. I remember watching the legendary game the Red Wings drove him to the Nordalanche and it was a thing of beauty.

Granted I haven't watched a ton of Eastern Conference games on a regular basis, but you just don't seem to get that kind of awesome television from a Marty Brodeur.

Something like that isn't really entertaining for me. That's just embarrassing.

Why are you hating on Eddie the Eagle? The Wings got into his head almost every single game.

Eddie the Ego was a real bastard on and off the ice from nearly anything I've ever read or saw of him. So was Patty Waaah. That's two guys I never did, and never will like.

The Turtle never really bothered me too much, after he got his. The illusion was gone, he could and was owned. (many times all in total) Exposed for the punk he was, he never really caught my attention much.

The one guy, that I used to not be able to stand, hated even watching games against Chicago.. Chris Chelios. Now he's a wing though and all is forgiven.

1. Patrick Roy - I don't really have to explain myself on this one. He was an arrogant prick and he didn't care who knew it. He had amazing goaltending skills, but he really needed to check himself into some anger management classes. I'll never forget hearing when he gave his "I'm not playing for your team anymore - trade me" speech to the Avalanche coach. ******* at his finest. (NOTE: My father struggles with this. Somewhere down my dad's bloodline, Patrick Roy is related to us - so my father takes that to mean that he needs to feel an obligatory LIKE for him. Eff that, I say - he's a prick.)

2. Sidney Crosby - I think there's a decent following for Crosby in Pittsburgh.. but you go elsewhere in the hockey nation, and you're not going to find many warm fuzzy feelings towards him. He whines about EVERYTHING. It's almost like he thinks he should be getting some sort of preferential treatments just because he's Crosby. And him jumping a player without even mentioning fighting to him - right from the face-off circle.. the other guy having no idea.. that was just pure BS. Many people think Crosby being chosen as the face of the NHL is offensive due to the talent and poise that other players in the league have shown for this organization for years. Crosby is, without a doubt, hated... widely.

3. Steve Ott - This could just be based on the Dallas games that we've had this season - but this guy makes me want to throw my TV out the window. He's the only player in the entire NHL who can actually make me yell at our players to kill him. (Not something that I normally condone - but in Ott's case, I make a huge exception.) His only talent when it comes to being on the ice (and this could be because I hate him so much) is pissing people off. But, have no fear - he's a great multi-tasker too. He can skate AND piss people off at the same time! Wahey! Talent galore!

Guest micah
EDIT - made a few repairs ;)

Okay. Explain why.

Ulfie consented to what, a half-dozen scraps with Dale Hunter? He made Brendan Shanahan turtle, he fought Ed Hospodar, tried to fight Joey Kocur, etc. He could be coerced into a fair fight, and when he was, he wasn't half-bad at it, considering he wasn't a fighter.

Ditto for Claude Lemieux. When tough-guy Darren McCarty actually squared up with Claude instead of jumping him, he had all he could handle, the "fighter" McCarty was only capable of eeking out a narrow win against the non-fighter Lemieux. Lemieux also consented to fights with Alan Kerr, Jeff Chychrun, Dale Hunter, Chris Simon, etc. The only time I remember him turtling unreasonably (going turtle was a perfectly reasonable thing to do after being blindsided by McCarty - I don't hold that against him as he really had no choice - he later showed Wings fans exactly how scared he wasn't of McCarty by fighting him straight up and making a fool out of him) was against a naked Rob Ray - and even that is somewhat forgivable as the fact that Ray had already shed his gear put the non-fighter Lemieux at a considerable disadvantage.....still, he should have engaged Ray.

I think that every team that plays the Wings sends out as many antagonists as possible. They know we don't throw down often.

Over the years there have been many. I agree with all stated thus far.

This season I especially hate the Ducks entire team- Pronger needs to retire, Jackman, Ott - of course won't fight with his hand healing, Crosby - he is not the wonder boy.

I think there is a difference between good antagonists and those who seek to injur.

Eddie the Ego was a real bastard on and off the ice from nearly anything I've ever read or saw of him. So was Patty Waaah. That's two guys I never did, and never will like.

Now that you mentioned it, I do seem to recall at least one story of Belfour pulled over for drunk driving and trying to pay off the officer that pulled him over. Yeah, I guess he really was a giant d-bag.

Same team for me is probably Roy, Lemieux, and Foote as well... But all time is Pronger, Roy, and Lemieux in no order because I hate them all equally.

Oh... McCabe, Tucker, and Belfour are close too.

Edited by BeeRYCE

Players:

Tootoo

Ott

Entire Anaheim roster

(I'd put Lemieux, but atleast that wanker had some use besides cheapshots)

Just for kicks, Non-players:

Burke

O'Halloran

Tampa Bay owners

:clap:

-Avery

- 2 2

- Dats... he is a thug... :huh: but seriously Ott god i hat ott errrr ott!!!

Edited by Duck Guy

I think that every team that plays the Wings sends out as many antagonists as possible. They know we don't throw down often.

I've noticed this too--some guys who dress about 50% of the time always seem to go against us.

I'll give another vote for Ott. I think for me, it's a matter of contrast, because he's teammates with Brenden Morrow, a guy I really respect for going 100% all the time and playing a tough game the right way (when healthy obviously). It just makes Ott look even more cheap by comparison.

The Ducks contingent scores highly for me (Pronger, Perry), except for Getzlaf, I don't have anything against him other than how he seems to have a four-point game every time we play them.