• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

2/13 GDT: Red Wings 2 at Blue Jackets 3

Rate this topic

The Wings were flat all night. Osgood HAS to be MUCH better, two of the three goals were soft. When your team is flat you need a big game from your goalie and we didn't get it. Was it all Ozzie's fault.....no but he needs to get his s*** together soon cause the months are going by with very little improvment in his play. Some say play him all the time and he will get better, well that may work but if he gets shelled night after night he MAY get worse if his confidence gets shattered.

I think that Babcock needs to be a bit better at picking his goalies games. Back to back games with a struggling goaltender and a tired team don't fit well in my book when you have a back up that is playing well.

First, when you've got a guy like Conk's, a solid career backup with 5 minutes of playoff experience and a guy like Osgood who won a Cup last year in an outstanding manner at that, I think it's still fair to refer to past accomplishments. We're less than a year removed from a guy who shutout the Penguins plus Hossa 2 games in a row to open up the Stanley Cup Finals. Osgood beat the Penguins and won the Cup while Conklin watched from the Penguins bench 8 months ago. Osgood could've easily won the Conn Smythe and no one would've been surprised. And it wasn't a fluke. He played great period all year. He has the ability.

You're really going to try to tell me that you don't want to even give him a chance to step up for the playoffs because you'd rather go with a goalie with 5 minutes of playoff experience who put up descent regular season numbers?

Really?

Like, for realsies really?

Then for getting knocked out early, sure, fine, whatever...it happens. I doubt it will be because of Osgood but I all but know it sure as hell won't be in spite of any great play from Conklin. The guy's got 2 shutouts that the defense handed to him in '09 and his numbers are still just a bit better than Osgood's '09 numbers.

And again, 5 career playoff minutes.

And I've criticized Osgood plenty this season and I've said in this thread he needs to keep improving. Absolutely. Without a doubt. He can play much better. He has plenty of potential and age isn't much of a factor in his style and he's not even that old yet. He needs to turn it up to 11. But I think he will and he absolutely has earned the right to prove that he can.

Did I mention that Conklin has 5 career playoff minutes?

Osgood has 2 Cups to his name.

He won the Cup 8 months ago.

Conklin watched from the bench.

Seriously?!?

I'm embarrassed that this is even necessary to discuss. Again, I'm not saying Osgood's played great or even that you have to like him. But it's nothing short of IDIOTIC to suggest that Conklin will or should be used as anything more than a last resort if Osgood can't make it happen when it truly matters.

Until then, Osgood is the starting goalie for the Detroit Red Wings. He deserves and needs our support.

Get behind him.

YOUR LOGIC: We should sign Ken Dryden he won 6 stanley's...

disney-chicken-little-sky-falling.jpg

"OH NOEZ, HERE IT COMES!!11!!11"

This is absolutely wonderful and hilarious. While some of the rest of us (...cough...cough...) get all pissed at those who are totally anti-Ozzie around here, you come up with this. Thanks for the perspective.

Meanwhile, of course there IS and has to be a middle ground. Yeah, there's the Eyores who say Ozzie should be #2, #3, ....#4?, waived, dumped or otherwise disposed of; and the rose-colored glasses types who say that Oz can do no wrong, but I sense both sets of numbers are small.

Other than the facts that they played five games in seven nights; that the D has been inconsistent (and they're the first to admit it); that they get bored playing average teams, I believe there's another major factor influencing some of the unreal knee-jerk reactions.

Don't know why and when it started, but I'm guessing most of us would agree that Deetroit goalies have always had a target on their back. If it weren't for them, us spoiled rotten fans wouldn't have much to talk about, would we. And that's been true for as long as I've been a Wings' fan (since '95). I can just picture how some of you anti-Oz fans would be doing as fans of other teams. On the one hand, you'd have a field day ripping, tearing and rending flesh because you could rant about all sorts of players, lines, coaches, offense, defense, ad nauseum. On the other hand you might not exist anymore from imploding so much. Hmmmm......

But in Deetroit it's pretty much Ozzie, isn't it - since he's the starting goalie. You wuss-ass, I-WANT-IT -ALL-YESTERDAY!!!- Eyores really, REALLY make me sick for your know-it-all pissant attitudes. You're so busy lying on the floor screaming and kicking your feet, mostly about one individual that you can't even see what a glorious, wondrous gift has been handed you - by falling into being a fan of the best hockey team this side of the milky way. THEY PLAY AS A TEAM, FOR CRISSAKES. THEY ARE KNOWN FOR THAT CLASSY-TYPE PLAY. Get a grip. Get a life. Get juuust a little perspective and realize that as good as Conklin is HE CANNOT CARRY US THROUGH THE PLAYOFFS.

And whatever you do, PLEASE don't ever take up coaching on any level because you will not/ can not cut it. You'll probably be waaay too busy zeroing in on one hapless wannabe that your team will morally and physically dissolve. With any luck at all before that would happen, Whoever would kick your butt from here to Hong Kong for your total lack of perspective and support.

...ahem....Thanks again Electro....!

Why Osgood started 2 games in 2 days? I thought that it was pretty clear that Conklin is our # 1 goalie...

Osgood should have stop 3rd goal no matter what - that should be easy save...

And the defense should have kept Osgood from having to make a large portion of his saves.

There are plenty to blame for the loss, and Conklin is not the magical answer.

Ridiculous. Utterly ridiculous. You can't just send players down, and bring others up, "just 'cuz."

In order to send Osgood down and bring up one of the young goalies, Osgood would have to pass through waivers.

Do you honestly think he'd make it down to Grand Rapids?

A two time Cup Winner, making a paltry $1.4M, would be snatched off the waiver wire before you could say "Oops! Bad decision!".

Then you'd have no choice but to go with Conklin and one of the kids, and hope that Conklin's 6 minutes worth of Play Off experience will be enough to get the Wings through the Post Season.

Give your head a shake.....

In this point, I don't know why people are riding on the number of cups Osgood has won. Yeah, he has won 2 cups as starting goalie and Conklin had only few minutes during the playoff in his career. However, you have to know the number of cup the player wins does not mean how good that player is in everything.

I know we will start Osgood during the playoff like we did last season to start Hasek. Last year, Hasek's save percentage was .902 but he struggled in the playoff. That's how tough the playoff is. What did happen last season? Hasek was not as good as Osgood last season but Hasek started because of more experience. And he was alternated by Osgood in game 4 of the series against the Preds.

There is no answer for this sure but we have to know the truth. You said Turco has more games than Osgood and yeah, that is the truth. But if Osgood started half of our games, that number of games are enough. he has to stop letting those soft goals but he still does that's the problem. We know Osgood cannot be back to his last season game but he should be enough to win but like last night game, who cares if he makes tons of crazy saves and allowing bad game winning goal?

And according to your logic, Huet and Khabibulin should be also terrible because they pretty much started same amount of games. Then you will say they are not in slump and Osgood is in slump that's the difference. What I am pointing out is which is the exception for Osgood this season?

If you watch many games Osgood started, you will not only talk about stats. He was out of position too many games and he did not look angry when he allowed goals.

I am sick of hearing who is Osgood hater or who others are Osgood lovers. That's not truth. Many people here may do not like Osgood as much as other Osgood fans do but if you say like that, you are dead wrong. Truth is flat. You cannot call Osgood good this season.

Besides, we are not the only guys who watch Osgood's games. If you read some reports from professional hockey journalists, they also worry about Osgood too. It is not only us.

If Osgood' sv percentage and GAA are the worst in the league, he is COMPARABLE to goalies like Toskala. How is that possible to win with those goalies in the playoff?

Yeah, I am wrong about trading Osgood or sending Osgood but he should play better but what I am saying is he does not look to be better this season.

Edited by Wingsallwin

Wingsallwin: I just want to say that saying "Osgood doesn't get mad when he gets scored on" is not only false but has nothing to do with his skill.

Also, how many great saves are you expecting a goaltender to make? The point is he should only have a few token great chances against him, and that wasn't the case. Defense broke down and hung Osgood out to dry, and in the third period it all got to him and caused him to let in a squeaker. Yes Osgood should have not let in that last goal but the previous two had to do with deplorable defense. And the reason we only got two goals has to do with a shut down offense.

Osgood is not the "problem." This team is.

And the defense should have kept Osgood from having to make a large portion of his saves.

There are plenty to blame for the loss, and Conklin is not the magical answer.

Osgood made 22 saves not 45 or 50 saves....

No - but at this moment is BETTER option than Osgood...

Wingsallwin: I just want to say that saying "Osgood doesn't get mad when he gets scored on" is not only false but has nothing to do with his skill.

Also, how many great saves are you expecting a goaltender to make? The point is he should only have a few token great chances against him, and that wasn't the case. Defense broke down and hung Osgood out to dry, and in the third period it all got to him and caused him to let in a squeaker. Yes Osgood should have not let in that last goal but the previous two had to do with deplorable defense. And the reason we only got two goals has to do with a shut down offense.

Team plays better with Conklin... they don't play well with Osgood... but Osgood is not the problem... yeah :rolleyes:

Team plays better with Conklin... they don't play well with Osgood... but Osgood is not the problem... yeah :rolleyes:

Your homerism is showing.

Why should Osgood be blamed if the team plays harder when their backup is in net? Osgood can't change his teammates' play, and that was a huge factor in the loss last night.

But of course Osgood is at fault. He should have kept Chelios from making that blind pass straight to a Columbus player, and kept the defense from basically s***ting the bed in front of him.

Oh, ok I agree with you. But I disagree with you the bold part. He has some problems this season and no doubt about that. I never mentioned we lost all because of Osgood; we lose as a team and I agree with that.

What I want to say is defenses seem that they cannot play comfortable when Osgood is in the net and that is the case of this season. We know our defenses are not not much as good as last season but we cannot blame only defenses when Osgood allows a goal.

I also agree Conklin is not magically good but our defenses look to play more solid when Conks in the net than Osgood is in the net

Oh, ok I agree with you. But I disagree with you the bold part. He has some problems this season and no doubt about that. I never mentioned we lost all because of Osgood; we lose as a team and I agree with that.

What I want to say is defenses seem that they cannot play comfortable when Osgood is in the net and that is the case of this season. We know our defenses are not not much as good as last season but we cannot blame only defenses when Osgood allows a goal.

I also agree Conklin is not magically good but our defenses look to play more solid when Conks in the net than Osgood is in the net

Like I said before, the defense playing badly in front of him is not Osgood's fault. These are professionals. They should be able to play a consistent game considering they were able to do so last year on a daily basis.

Defense should get their act together. Osgood shouldn't be to blame for that.

Like I said before, the defense playing badly in front of him is not Osgood's fault. These are professionals. They should be able to play a consistent game considering they were able to do so last year on a daily basis.

Defense should get their act together. Osgood shouldn't be to blame for that.

True, but Osgood is bad this season. According to the statistics, the Wings allowed almost the fewest shots against. And if Osgood's stats is one of the worst in the league, we should take Osgood seriously.

Technically, our defenses are not solid but we cannot just say our defenses should play better than now. I watched the game between the Stars and the Canucks yesterday and Stars defenses were brutal and also do Canucks defenses. But total goals were only 3. Each team shots around 30 shots and that is a lot.

Jason Labarbera made 31 saves out of 33 saves on that game Osgood made 22 saves out of 25. It is pretty big difference. I am not directly comparing two goalies' performances for only one game and not even also comparing both goalies each other. What I am saying is have you ever felt solid when Osgood is in the net this season? Can you really deny this fact?

True, but Osgood is bad this season. According to the statistics, the Wings allowed almost the fewest shots against. And if Osgood's stats is one of the worst in the league, we should take Osgood seriously.

Technically, our defenses are not solid but we cannot just say our defenses should play better than now. I watched the game between the Stars and the Canucks yesterday and Stars defenses were brutal and also do Canucks defenses. But total goals were only 3. Each team shots around 30 shots and that is a lot.

Jason Labarbera made 31 saves out of 33 saves on that game Osgood made 22 saves out of 25. It is pretty big difference. I am not directly comparing two goalies' performances for only one game and not even also comparing both goalies each other. What I am saying is have you ever felt solid when Osgood is in the net this season? Can you really deny this fact?

I don't feel solid either way. When I see Osgood play I expect scoring chances out the ass. And it keeps happening. Every game he plays. Breakaways, open players in the slot, open lanes.

Osgood needs to play better. That is an obvious fact. But I see improvement. I don't see improvement on the defense, and there shouldn't be such a decline in our defense this year.

Why Osgood started 2 games in 2 days? I thought that it was pretty clear that Conklin is our # 1 goalie...

Osgood should have stop 3rd goal no matter what - that should be easy save...

it was the ex-wing curse :ph34r:

I am, however, seriously starting to wonder if a wicked witch put a spell on Ozzie which will not allow him to let in fewer than three goals. It's almost eerie. :blink:

There are no spells, voodoo dolls, witchcraft or anything else at work here. I've watched Osgood for closely for some time and it comes down to mechanics. His positioning and rebound control are horrid this season. He's small in net, usually because he is too deep, he complains about bad bounces, again because he is either too deep to do anything or otherwise out of position. He let's in short-side and 5-hole goals all the freakin' time.

I'm not a hater just an observer. Goalies are notoriously up and down - all of them except for the truly elite like maybe Brodeur.

To state that past success is a necessary and sufficient qualification for future success is asinine - especially at the goaltender position.

Unless Osgood turns it around real fast here, I do not think we can afford to throw a couple few playoff games to give him the "benefit of the doubt". A growing body of evidence exists that refutes that strategy.

Edited by clutchngrab

Your homerism is showing.

Why should Osgood be blamed if the team plays harder when their backup is in net? Osgood can't change his teammates' play, and that was a huge factor in the loss last night.

But of course Osgood is at fault. He should have kept Chelios from making that blind pass straight to a Columbus player, and kept the defense from basically s***ting the bed in front of him.

Question: Who's backup goalie? So far Conklin is our NUMBER 1, NUMERO UNO, NUMÉRO UN... Conklin OUTPLAYED Osgood this season. You have to give some credit to Conklin. I can understand that you are HUGE fan of Osgood - that's fine - but please STOP LYING, Osgood is just BAD this season and that's it!

Earlier this season osgood was giving up soft goals, but he also wasn't making any big saves. Last night he let in some soft goals but he also seemed to have made some big saves (I didn't watch the game, going by the highlights). It does seem he has improved the past couple games but that isn't the first time we've heard that. I'd rather have a 100% osgood than a 100% conklin so I say we give osgood the next few games and see how he does.

Edited by Z and D for the C

Doc Holiday

Maybe he should be blamed because his teammates are so afraid of making mistakes because it will end with a soft goal from osgood. In my opinion the team seems to play better with Conklin, because they know he can bail him out. This allows them to concentrate on the game instead of worrying about making mistakes. The better question is why should Conklin be punished for making his team play better?

Maybe he should be blamed because his teammates are so afraid of making mistakes because it will end with a soft goal from osgood. In my opinion the team seems to play better with Conklin, because they know he can bail him out. This allows them to concentrate on the game instead of worrying about making mistakes. The better question is why should Conklin be punished for making his team play better?

Like I said, Osgood can't be blamed for other people's mistakes. The Wings have to suck it up and learn to play confident consistently. They were able to do that in front of a struggling Hasek last year so they should be able to do it in front of a strggling Osgood this year.

Having been at the game I have these observations (seeing as this thread has again degenerated into a blame Osgood no matter what type thread due to some of you)....

1. The ONLY reason the game was anywhere close is because of Ozzie. From the stands it looked mostly like a team that was running on empty. The very first thing a lot of the people around me said, both Blue Jacket and Red Wings fans, was that the Wings looked sluggish. Turnovers happen, but usually when a team gets outworked along the boards and doesn't get to seemingly ANY loose pucks, that team gets destroyed.

2. The first 2 goals were hard luck type goals that have been plaguing Detroit all year long. Especially the 2nd one. If that puck bounces right instead of left Ozzie smothers it and it's no goal. It was amazing that he even got a piece of that one. The 3rd goal he should have had though.

3. Steve Mason is a friggin beast. He might have the best glove in the NHL.

4. Even playing at the end of a very long week of games, Detroit still had a good chance to win against a decent Columbus team.