• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

molotov

Howe And Y about Fedorov and Dats.

Rate this topic

In my opinion

Dats is way better than Fedorov.

I'm not saying that Feds wasn't any good, he was great.

But overall, Dats makes every player around him better, Fedorov was more of a one man show. Feds was exciting when he was on. Dats is exciting when he's off.

I've been watching and playing hockey for 34 years and Dats has a very unique set of skills that I have never seen before. His vision, elusiveness, smarts, underestimated shot, sense, and ability to read people are all 10's in my book.

And his desire to win.

Even the golden Brett and Shanny said that they've never seen anything like Datsyuk.

When your own teammates laugh at questions about you it's a sign of greatness.

"it is what it is"

Edited by bellarina

I'm sorry, but I'm going to take the minority side here, and choose Pasha over Sergei. Reason - attitude. Sergei always seemed to be something of a drama hog...whereas Pasha prefers not to be. Maybe you like Feds' stats more, but I go more towards the intangibles, and for that reason, I choose Pasha.

You choose Pav because you are biased. I like Pavel a lot more than I like Feds, but Pav is not even close to Sergei yet. Fedorov was so dominant it's not even funny. Complete beast. Pav has yet to dominate games the way Sergei did back in his heyday.

In my opinion

Dats is way better than Fedorov.

I'm not saying that Feds wasn't any good, he was great.

But overall, Dats makes every player around him better, Fedorov was more of a one man show. Feds was exciting when he was on. Dats is exciting when he's off.

I've been watching and playing hockey for 34 years and Dats has a very unique set of skills that I have never seen before. His vision, elusiveness, smarts, underestimated shot, sense, and ability to read people are all 10's in my book.

And his desire to win.

Even the golden Brett and Shanny said that he's never seen anything like Datsyuk.

When your own teammates laugh at questions about you it's a sign of greatness.

"it is what it is"

Wrong, he made his teammates a lot better too. Just watch any highlights or any Cup run from the 90s.

Edited by Reds4Life

Not only is Fedorov underrated in several categories, but Dats is overrated in a couple. The fact that Dats is 3 points higher than Fedorov in MOBILITY makes this rating a total joke.

Nice to see your love for Fedorov hasn't faded EV !!!

You choose Pav because you are biased. I like Pavel a lot more than I like Feds, but Pav is not even close to Sergei yet. Fedorov was so dominant it's not even funny. Complete beast. Pav has yet to dominate games the way Sergei did back in his heyday.

Wrong, he made his teammates a lot better too. Just watch any highlights or any Cup run from the 90s.

Well I think your wrong :P How did Fedorov elevate everyones play? Watch highlights is not a good answer btw.

It's even embarassing that they compare Dats to Feds because Dats is a real team player.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to take the minority side here, and choose Pasha over Sergei. Reason - attitude. Sergei always seemed to be something of a drama hog...whereas Pasha prefers not to be. Maybe you like Feds' stats more, but I go more towards the intangibles, and for that reason, I choose Pasha.

Sergei had the talent to be the best player in hockey......when he wanted to be. Guy was a head case. I've seen him literally take over games, and i've seen him float through games...

Well I think your wrong :P How did Fedorov elevate everyones play? Watch highlights is not a good answer btw.

It's even embarassing that they compare Dats to Feds because Dats is a real team player.

How? For one thing he created room for them. Took most of the attention of the opponent himself. He was great playmaker, incredible sniper, awesome defensively and versatile. He could play defence without any problems. He wasn't down to earth guy but that does not belittle his game. He was simply dominant force out there. I like Pavel's attidue much better of course, but on the ice and in their primes it's no contest so far.

I'm somewhat in disbelief at how lousy Fedorov's rankings are. Especially skating, which is a laugh and a half. Did Gordie really make those?

When you are one of the top 3 players to ever play the game, I have a feeling it is hard to give an unbiased and accurate opinion on those who are obviously beneath you. Yzerman, like Gretzky, is the opposite, and is probably too flattering with his compliments. I have a feeling Gordie, if he is anything like the old men I know, is certainly capable of holding a grudge, and that may have entered into his grades as well.

Edited by egroen

When you are one of the top 3 players to ever play the game, I have a feeling it is hard to give an unbiased and accurate opinion on those who are obviously beneath you. Yzerman, like Gretzky, is the opposite, and is probably too flattering with his compliments. I have a feeling Gordie, if he is anything like the old men I know, is certainly capable of holding a grudge, and that may have entered into his grades as well.

Man would I love to see Mr. Hockey in his prime square off and play against Fedorov in his prime. Let Fedorov see why he is Mr. Hockey and let him experience a Gordie How hat trick up close and personal.

This IS Sergei in his prime right?

Yeah, Gordie really rated him low considering he was one of the league's top 3 forward throughout the early to mid 90s. It's tough to say he was better than Datsyuk is now, but many can argue.

This IS Sergei in his prime right?

Yeah, Gordie really rated him low considering he was one of the league's top 3 forward throughout the early to mid 90s. It's tough to say he was better than Datsyuk is now, but many can argue.

Not going to get into this argument again but Feds had 2 years where he was a top forward, then he had very good years, he was not a top 3 forward throughout the early to mid 90's unless you mean top 3 on his team.

1 year he was easily the best, another he was among the best, then he was out of the top 10.

IN THE POST SEASON, different story, however I will say he was hit or miss in the post season as well, it is just he was hit more often in the post season than he was miss.

Not going to get into this argument again but Feds had 2 years where he was a top forward, then he had very good years, he was not a top 3 forward throughout the early to mid 90's unless you mean top 3 on his team.

1 year he was easily the best, another he was among the best, then he was out of the top 10.

IN THE POST SEASON, different story, however I will say he was hit or miss in the post season as well, it is just he was hit more often in the post season than he was miss.

You are right when I think about it, but top 5 for sure... Jagr, Lemieux, Yzerman, and Gretzky were perhaps better, I don't think anybody else was... Maybe Bure or Neely on some occasions, but who else?

Why was Fedorov so marketable? its not like he said one word in any of his commercials .. except when he swore at shanny in Russian .. Feds was the man though ...

I'd put Fedorov is the super-star catagory

Datsyuk in the Star catagory

only difference I see .. Fedorov could put the team on his back and score game winners ..Datsyuk CAN do the same just not enough as Feds did

I have a question, what team did Feds carry?? Honest question, seriously honest question!

It is not like he was AO in WAS, he had very high end talent around him.

The only time I REMEMBER him being asked to carry the team was against LA in the playoffs when Shanny and Yzerman were hurt.

Other than that there was always Shanny, Yzerman, Lids, Igor, Fetisov, etc.

Not saying he wasn't good, just I don't remember him putting the team on his back for more than a game or two, the rest of the time he was a pivotal and very important cog, but not carrying the team.

Perfect example would have been had he stepped up in 02, but instead a nearly crippled Yzerman did. (sure he had 19 points in 23 games, but Yzerman willed and carried that team to victory, especially in the first round!)

Just asking, not asserting he didn't, just saying I don't remember him carrying the team, when he went to ANA he was supposed to carry the team, he did for one season.

Thanks for validating my opinion on this...he really does have a deceptively strong shot--I remember a GWG he had against Columbus a couple years ago where he just absolutely wired it from just inside the blueline. I didn't think he had that kind of shot until then, to be honest. He also has skills that you wouldn't normally expect out of his player type, like a little bit of a physical edge (not to mention the fact that he takes a hit as well as anyone I've ever seen).

Statistically, since the lockout, Datsyuk's been equal to or better than Fedorov at any point of his career, with the notable exception of 1993-1996. Accolade-wise, he's quickly gaining ground as well. Don't kid yourself, there's definitely a discussion here, and I think Datsyuk will end up as the better of the two by the time they're both done.

Edited by C-TownWing

I have a question, what team did Feds carry?? Honest question, seriously honest question!

It is not like he was AO in WAS, he had very high end talent around him.

The only time I REMEMBER him being asked to carry the team was against LA in the playoffs when Shanny and Yzerman were hurt.

Other than that there was always Shanny, Yzerman, Lids, Igor, Fetisov, etc.

Not saying he wasn't good, just I don't remember him putting the team on his back for more than a game or two, the rest of the time he was a pivotal and very important cog, but not carrying the team.

Perfect example would have been had he stepped up in 02, but instead a nearly crippled Yzerman did. (sure he had 19 points in 23 games, but Yzerman willed and carried that team to victory, especially in the first round!)

Just asking, not asserting he didn't, just saying I don't remember him carrying the team, when he went to ANA he was supposed to carry the team, he did for one season.

I'm not sure that any great player ever carried his team anywhere to a championship. HOF'ers usually played with other greats and that's how they won Cups.

Yzerman carried the WIngs in the 80's, but where did he carry them to? They missed the playoffs most of the time.

Datsyuk has not really carried the Wings. There's too much talent on this team to say otherwise.

Fedorov was huge for the Wings in 2003 when Yzerman was injured most of the year, but once again, we had too much talent to say that he carried the team by himself.

I'm not sure what you meant by your post, but maybe it has something to do with you always posting about how Sergei isn't a lock for the HOF. The fact that he never carried a team isn't a good reason for that position.

If I assume Datsyuk is at his peak right now (which he might not even be at yet), here is how I would rate their peaks:

Fedorov:

-----------------------------------------------

1. Self-devotion.........................8/10

You're kidding me, right? This should be at most a 5...

Thats the one thing Fedorov DIDNT have. Thats why so many people here are glad hes gone. Don't you remember when Bowman made him play defense, as a way of kicking him in the ass?

You're kidding me, right? This should be at most a 5...

Thats the one thing Fedorov DIDNT have. Thats why so many people here are glad hes gone. Don't you remember when Bowman made him play defense, as a way of kicking him in the ass?

I was rating Fedorov at his peak, when he showed up to play on a much more consistent basis -- his work ethic was not called into question very often in the early-to-mid 90s.

I'm not sure that any great player ever carried his team anywhere to a championship. HOF'ers usually played with other greats and that's how they won Cups.

Yzerman carried the WIngs in the 80's, but where did he carry them to? They missed the playoffs most of the time.

Datsyuk has not really carried the Wings. There's too much talent on this team to say otherwise.

Fedorov was huge for the Wings in 2003 when Yzerman was injured most of the year, but once again, we had too much talent to say that he carried the team by himself.

I'm not sure what you meant by your post, but maybe it has something to do with you always posting about how Sergei isn't a lock for the HOF. The fact that he never carried a team isn't a good reason for that position.

Actually as I stated it was an honest question, posters said the difference between the two was that Feds carried the team, I asked when.

Yzerman may not have carried the team in the 80's but other than the first round in 98 he carried the team the rest of the way (hence Conn Smythe and leading scorer in the post season), in 02 he carried the team through the first round and his heart not stick or knee took the team the rest of the way.

You may have also noticed, though I doubt it, that the poster under me said Feds carried the team in the first round of 98, did I argue with him, did I say he was wrong.

NO because it was an honest question in response to people saying Feds carried the team and Dats has not!

At least I can back up my Fed is not a lock for the hall with stats and facts, egroen and I have had that discussion and you would have to ask his opinion, but it has never been an argument with me.

He values what feds did in the post season, I think the fact he was only a great player for 2 seasons and his numbers are not the typical HOF numbers that he is not HOF worthy, I also don't think Cam is HOF worthy. Does that mean they don't belong or that they shouldn't be there, no it means my opinion differs from others. Unlike you, I have no problem with that, however I will defend my opinion.

But thanks for bringing up something I never brought up or even mentioned.

MY OPINION is that Datsyuk is FAR bettter than Fedorov.

I know some of you don't like my opinion, but I really could care less.

I'm glad that he left, he never liked being in Stevie's shadow.

I regret losing Slava Kozlov though.

Some of these attributes make no sense and neither does this whole story.

What the hell is self-devotion mean? And what does tactics mean in this context?

First off: people, for the love of all that is holy, read the entire thread before you post. The Fedorov postings were by MARK Howe, not Gordie. C-TownWing, this was not directed at you.

Secondly: Self-devotion means determination and motivation to give your all every night. The OP is ESL. Don't be a dick.