• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LIDSTROM-YZERMAN4PRESIDENT

Leino's Potential

Rate this topic

Leino has been showing some true potential these last couple games. He is showing some true raw talent and has been playing in sync with whatever line he's been put on. I think this guy is a future star and offensive pillar for the Wings.

I wanna know how good everyone thinks Leino is and what his future is going to be with the Wings.

Is this Hollands newest breakthrough discovery? Following in the footsteps of Dats, Hank, Flips, and many others?

And what gives you the idea Flip is going somewhere?

He's a 3 million $ checking line centre on a team desperate to dump salary? He's one of the very few expensive, replaceable players on this team. I realize he's being paid for his future potential and he's being utilized in a role that's below his capabilities, but that doesn't change the fact that the role he's in right now won't significantly change in the future if the Wings can keep the players they'd like to keep.

i think leino is kenny's insurance policy if we lose hudler and franzen (have a gut feeling hossa is staying) and i think he has the potential to be a 25 goal 50 point type guy in the nhl and could become alot better if he works hard on the defensive side of things

Hollands a smart man. Ideally he'd like to keep everyone, but we all know he can't do that. Leino has said already in the press that if he's In GR next season he's going home. We need to keep this guy around, he's dynamic offensively like pavel and hank are dynamic. I think Holland is going to let other teams go crazy on offers for hudler and get picks in return.

He's a 3 million $ checking line centre on a team desperate to dump salary? He's one of the very few expensive, replaceable players on this team. I realize he's being paid for his future potential and he's being utilized in a role that's below his capabilities, but that doesn't change the fact that the role he's in right now won't significantly change in the future if the Wings can keep the players they'd like to keep.

Who is going to pay 3 million for what he has been producing this year, honestly?

If they sign both Franzen and Hossa, they will have to dump salary. Best case, Hossa signs for 6.0 cap hit and Mule for 4.0. That means they are over by about $5 mil. Why? Because Z's hit went up by 3.5, Hossa's came down by 1.5 and Franzen's went up by 3.0

possible salary dumps are

Hudler 1.0

Flip 3.0

Sammy 1.2

Lebda 0.65

Kopy 0.5

Even if they talk Mule into taking only 3 Mil, they would still have to dump 4mil.

Guys that make more than 1.0

Dats

Z

Hossa

Flip

Cleary

Homer

Drapes

Lids

Ralfi

Stuart

Nick Jr.

Sammy

Huds

Lilja

Ozzie

I can't see a way that Flip stays. Most of the guys making more than 1.5 are untouchable.

So now the question could come down to Mule or Flip even up.

I really like Flip but we need Mule more....

You people need to realize that Filppula is not going anywhere.

Why do you say that? Are you privy to some sort of 'inside' knowledge that we don't have?? All I know is the Valtteri Filppula is a $3 mil/yr cap hit player who currently has 6-21-27 totals just months after signing a 5-year extension. Come on now....6 goals for $3 mil/yr, let's be honest here...that's just not good enough. I like Flip and wish he'd start to progress more quickly, but he's proven over and over that he's not willing to drive to the net, and that he's very easy to take off the puck...not to mention, he's got the Igor Larionov tendency of not wanting to shoot the puck (81 shots all year in 08/09).

Like any fan, I hope that he'll start to turn it up and realize his potential, but not every guy is going to be our next Hank, Pav, etc. Kenny Holland may just see Flip as a way to move some salary in order to sign guys like Hossa, Franzen, Hudler, and maybe even Sammy. If he stays, great....but if he goes, it wouldn't surprise me whatsoever. He's highly paid, and continues to perform below his salary level.

Who is going to pay 3 million for what he has been producing this year, honestly?

You would be surprised what price some of the lesser franchises in the NHL will pay for a player who has won a Stanley Cup, is still young (24 yrs), and is under contract for 5 seasons. Another team who isn't as focused on winning right now would possibly be more willing and able to eat up some salary and wait on his potential to play out.

First, Filp is not going anywhere. He has been bad this season compared to his salary but he is not getting like 3 million this season, it will be next season for 3 million for Filp. Besides, Holland might know Filp would not be terrific of the first year of new contract; Filp is still young and I don't particularly see Filp is playing that super bad.

And for Leino, I hope Kenny can resign him soon. He is not making tons of points but he has a lot of potential to be a skilled player in the NHL.

I now think we cannot sign both Franzen and Hossa. Well we can but we do not have to. If Hossa gets a discount, he will sign for 6-6.5 million. For Franzen, we drafted him and will may ask 4 million but I think that is an overpayment. If we sign with Hossa for 6 million, we will have around 4 million cap left. And for 4 million, we can bring up Eriksson for Chellios place and sign with Huds and Sammy.

I love Franzen but if I have to choose between Franzen and Hossa, I would go with Hossa. Don't forget this point, Hossa is one year older than Franzen but that is not a big deal.

By sigining only Franzen, we have to lose Huds, Sammy, and Leino. That will not be good for our team's depth.

Agreed, there are other teams in the league who will still pay that salary even with his lowered production. I think he's an obvious salary dump player right now compared to the new guys moving up in the ranks.

I can't understand the logic of some people on here. Or is it that some just can't understand the role the Wings are asking Flip to play this year.

1st point; the Wings are stacked on the top 6 forward positions.

Dats, Hoss, Mule, Hommer,Zetta,Cleary and Sammy/Huds. Flip isn't needed unless injuries.

2nd point; He has been given the role as the 3rd lines C, which he is doing well and is on course to hit 40 pts this year, and he is responsible in his own end. A +10 rating so far.

3rd point; The Wings org are obviously high on the kid to be giving him the $3m multiyear deal in the first place. Just maybe they were thinking ahead when doing this.

As I have stated before on this forum, Leino will be signed for next year. Holland has so

far done a great job in giving us a competitive team in this cap era. I just think that the Maltby and Draper deals may bite him on his ass thou. These guys came up big in last years playoff's but I'm just wondering if this could be one year to many for them both.

They are looking out of sorts in general, they'll have a couple of decent games and then

seem to struggle again. We do need the role guys on the roster, but maybe its time for

the likes of Helm and co to be seeing more games. It will be interesting come playoff time

who Babs plays and who sits when the cap restraints are lifted.

Why do you say that? Are you privy to some sort of 'inside' knowledge that we don't have?? All I know is the Valtteri Filppula is a $3 mil/yr cap hit player who currently has 6-21-27 totals just months after signing a 5-year extension. Come on now....6 goals for $3 mil/yr, let's be honest here...that's just not good enough. I like Flip and wish he'd start to progress more quickly, but he's proven over and over that he's not willing to drive to the net, and that he's very easy to take off the puck...not to mention, he's got the Igor Larionov tendency of not wanting to shoot the puck (81 shots all year in 08/09).

Like any fan, I hope that he'll start to turn it up and realize his potential, but not every guy is going to be our next Hank, Pav, etc. Kenny Holland may just see Flip as a way to move some salary in order to sign guys like Hossa, Franzen, Hudler, and maybe even Sammy. If he stays, great....but if he goes, it wouldn't surprise me whatsoever. He's highly paid, and continues to perform below his salary level.

I don't know why Holland would sign him for five years after he had already signed Hossa if he wasn't going to keep him around. He has played on third line all year. And now that he is playing with Hossa, he's racking up the points. I think he has 7 points in the last 9 games. You can't expect him to put up Datyuk and Zetterberg numbers when he's playing with Cleary and Samuelsson the whole year.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Filppula goes to another team, he will play on the first or second line and rack up some serious numbers. Then everyone on here will begin to ***** about how Holland is an idiot and how he should be fired for trading him.

Let Franzen go and keep most of the team together. I like Franzen, but he's not worth getting rid of have the team. He's a good scorer and that's about it. He's horrible defensively and doesn't even backcheck. How many times has Franzen had the puck on his stick late in a game and was unable to clear the zone leading to a goal (Game 5 against Anahiem). This team needs to be built around defense. We already have plenty of scoring. Filppula is the forth best defesive forward behind Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Hossa. He needs to stay.

The numbers just don't add up to sign both Franzen and Hossa without significantly changing the team. I don't see Flip getting traded, I don't see Cleary or Rafalski waving their no-trades and I don't see Kenny giving up on Kronwall. I also hope Hudler stays on the team and doubt he would go as RFA. I do think Hossa will sign before mule.

All this points to one conclusion: Franzen is gone after this year.

Because he stinks. IF he doesn't have some sort of injury he really stinks. He comes into the zone and either loses the puck or try's to pass when he should have shot. He traps our players down low and I been bitching about it every game. I'd be pleased to dump him and keep the Fin that is productive. Leino has out done Flip, easily. He will go to the net Flip just skates in circles and gets himself into places in the ice he can't get out of. If he could just control the puck and stop handing it over to the other team it would be a different story.

Game 5 against Anahiem)

That was a few years ago, can you remember one game this season, or last season, where he totally fumbled the puck and lost Detroit the game? He's a different player now, and he does kill penalties.

I would take Hudler or Sammy rather then Flipulla any day. Flipulla is worthless. Really, theirs a chance Hudler and Sammy could re-sign for Flipulla's total cap hit. Either way, Sammy and Hudler right now are more effective hockey players. You can't wait forever for someone to get good.

I think the same people who think Flipulla will be a star one day are the same delusional people who think Osgood will come around and win us another Cup. The problem Detroit has is, this team is a lot better then last years team, and anything other then a Cup will be a disaster. Well, Boston and San Jose both have much better goalies, much better D-lines.

Honestly right now, if it was Columbus vs Detroit in the first round, with Ozzy starting, I'd bet every cent I have on Columbus. One good goalie will knock the Wings right out.

He doesn't stink. He's been playing on the third line with no power play time. I don't think Holland would just sign Filppula to a 5 year deal randomly. Holland knows more than us, and he won't make a knee jerk move just because Filppula has one bad year.

There is a snowballs chance in hell that Filppula is traded.

I have high hopes for Leino. I hope he plays in the playoffs... it would be interesting to see how he does.

Edited by RedWingedKitten