• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

talex

Retire #'s 18,25,33,96

Rate this topic

Absolutely not. Props to the grind line for the work they've done. They have their rings and I think that's reward enough. Nick is the only absolute out there for that honor. A case could be made for Fedorov and Shanahan, and Zetterberg and Datsyuk need to put in more time before they're even considered.

I know you're not serious. I love Drapes and Mac a lot, and have always had great affection for them, but they absolutely do not deserve to have their numbers retired. Neither does Malts or Homer for that matter.

Of the Wings CURRENTLY playing, the only ones I can honestly foresee having their numbers retired are Nick, Pavs and Hank.

What about if Hossa stays here for the rest of his career? or would be looked more as like a "Fedorov"-type? I mean, it's clearly not the same situation, but since we didn't draft Hossa and all..... is he looked down-upon because of this? (this is all under the assumption that Hossa remains a Wing for the next 10-ish years and wins a couple Cups and remains a strong player or very similar to how he plays now).

What do you guys think?

Retire the numbers, in the sense they wont be worn by another Red Wing again after they retire. But you just cant put those guys in the rafters, and they are all long time favorites of mine, but they just arent Gordie Howe or Steve Yzerman, and that's the standard. One more number goes to the rafters for a little while, and that's going to be #5.

What about if Hossa stays here for the rest of his career? or would be looked more as like a "Fedorov"-type? I mean, it's clearly not the same situation, but since we didn't draft Hossa and all..... is he looked down-upon because of this? (this is all under the assumption that Hossa remains a Wing for the next 10-ish years and wins a couple Cups and remains a strong player or very similar to how he plays now).

What do you guys think?

I think players who spend their entire careers as Red Wings and have excelled at an elite level should get first dibs over players who excelled at an elite level (assuming Hossa continues this for the rest of his playing days) but did not spend their whole careers in Detroit.

Granted some of the currently retired numbers don't fit that mold, but most do, including Steve and of course Nick when the time comes.

I'm saying if Pavs and Hank spend their whole careers here and win a few more cups they should get priority over Marian Hossa, even if Hossa career-wise is in the same boat as them.

Well I knew this one would draw ire...

I think they definately need to do something, if these guys get a cup this or next season, that would be 5, not 5 here and there, but 5 all with the Redwings, the recognition should not be slight, it should be Major, if not retire numbers, then a banner to acknowledge this era and the player that played a large part as a heart of the core that stayed together so long, a statue would be nice, but some recognition in the rafters proper would not bother me either... I ask myself if the wings would have won all 4 w/o these guys (particularly Mac-Fraps-Malts because them being on the same line) and honestly I do not know, having played on sports teams and knowing the value of having people who have made it to the pinnacle on a team lifts the entire bunch and at least the last 2 cups were probably heavily influenced by having guys that have done it before. I certainly hope they do something very special for these guys when they do retire.

I absolutely agree that some kind of official recognition by the team for what Darren, Kris and Kirk did all their years here would be great once they finally hang them up. They were just as important to our team's success as Steve, Brendan and Nick.

Like someone else said, perhaps take their jersey numbers out of circulation, but stop short at putting them in the rafters. I think something like that would be nice.

I absolutely agree that some kind of official recognition by the team for what Darren, Kris and Kirk did all their years here would be great once they finally hang them up. They were just as important to our team's success as Steve, Brendan and Nick.

Like someone else said, perhaps take their jersey numbers out of circulation, but stop short at putting them in the rafters. I think something like that would be nice.

Meech has Shanny's number now.

Lets retire Kyle Calder's number, and whoever that really crappy D man we got the year before too...

Edit Cory Cross is that D man deserving of his number in the rafters

Edited by Shaman464

I don't believe that the 4 players mentioned should have their numbers retired, but I think it would be nice if they were honoured like Toronto does. The Leafs only have 2 numbers retired, while some other great players, mostly HHOFers, have had a banner raised, but their number is still issued. So you still see the numbers 9, 10, 14, 27, and I'm sure others that are still worn. That way we could bring back Shanny, Sergei, Igor, and Ozzie down the road, and give them a nice ceremony for what they did as Red Wings.

I would retire Nick's number though.

I can hear it now in 20 years. A father brings his son to the game and the kids says "Dad, who is #154 again?" :rolleyes:

If Montreal retired numbers based on cup wins they would be using letters on their jerseys by now.

Edited by softshoes

No to putting them in the rafters, but a grindline statue or something would rock.

Yeah, maybe a plaque or a mural or something on a wall, but retiring their numbers would never happen. These guys aren't anywhere close to being the GREATEST players to play in a Detroit jersey, and retired numbers are for those types of guys. You can't just retire a guy's number because he's a great teammate or fan favorite and ignore their stats. This type of thing is for the elite of the elite, not an entire 3rd/4th line.

The fact that there is even a debate means the answer is NO. Think about it, did we have to debate whether or not Yzerman's *19 should be retired? Is there an argument whether Lidstrom's #5 should be there? Until its at the point where there ISN'T EVEN A DEBATE, a number shouldn't be retired.

I can hear it now in 20 years. A father brings his son to the game and the kids says "Dad, who is #154 again?" :rolleyes:

If Montreal retired numbers based on cup wins they would be using letters on their jerseys by now.

They're getting close, 24 Cups, 15 numbers retired. :lol:

Absolutely not. You're getting your sentiments mixed up with your judgment. You want McCarty to be hanging next to Howe? This team has had a great cast of players with wonderful personalities, but retiring a player in Detroit requires the type of person who not only helped the team win, but also influenced the very game of hockey. It requires league-wide recognition. #5 is a candidate. #91 would have been if he'd stuck around for more cups.

QFT

Regardless of how appreciative I am of those 4, they don't belong in Detroit's rafters. It a different measuring stick than most of the league.

#5 will be the next to go. no others are even worth consideration right NOW.

(with special emphasis on "NO", meaning NOT federov, NOT shanahan, and NOT any other former wing for which people have a love affair)

plaque, statue... sure, mr. illitch could hook them up with free lifetime hot and ready little caesar pizzas for all i care... but NO jerseys in the rafters.

the grind line will especially be honored upon their exit in one form or another... count on it. this is an organization with the most class in the league. they already have a few distinguished murals/pictures in the joe louis suites to honor #18/#33/#25.

The fact that there is even a debate means the answer is NO. Think about it, did we have to debate whether or not Yzerman's *19 should be retired? Is there an argument whether Lidstrom's #5 should be there? Until its at the point where there ISN'T EVEN A DEBATE, a number shouldn't be retired.

Precisely what I say whenever the argument to retire a number comes up.

That said, I wouldn't call this a debate. It's more like a dogpile. One yes and about forty nos. I think it's pretty clear. There are ways to honor these guys besides something that's harder than the Hall of Fame to achieve.

The thing is, Detroit has had players that have actually been franchise players. Not so with some teams that feel the need to retire SOMEONE, like the Devils or Canucks.

It does not take much for some teams, but Detroit has history and superstars.

My vote would for placing #18 - Maltby, #25 McCarty, #33 Draper and #96 Homer in the rafters

Sorry, I love those guys, but no way.

#5 will up yes, and actually #91 really should guy up when he retires. I know lots of people in the D still hate him, but numbers don't lie. For all time Red Wing forwards he is right behind Howe and Yzerman.